Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Servicemen, Women Come Home To Lost Jobs

Servicemen, Women Come Home To Lost Jobs

Many Employers In Violation Of USERRA

POSTED: 8:59 am PST November 3, 2008
    UPDATED: 9:15 am PST November 3, 2008

Many men and women in the National Guard and Reserve are returning home from fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan to an unwelcomed surprise -- they've been demoted, or even replaced, at work.

While the law called Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act is supposed to ensure that employers must take military members back at their same pay and position after they return from service, many are not following it.

"60 Minutes" reported that according to the Pentagon, more than 10 percent of guardsmen and reservists have problems returning to work when they come back from deployment.

According to The Washington Post, even more incidents go unreported. In a 2007 article, the newspaper said that according to the Government Accountability Office, more than 16,000 complaints were filed between 2004 and 2006. The GAO estimated that fewer than 30 percent of reservists who experienced a violation actually filed a complaint.

The reason for the small number of official complaints, the Washington Post reported, is that servicemen and women have problems proving employers wrongly terminated their jobs. According to the newspaper, the burden is on the servicemen and women to prove that they lost their jobs as a result of their military service and for no other reason.

Some of the companies that have had complaints filed against them include Wal-Mart, American Airlines and UPS, "60 Minutes" reported.

Even military-focused institutions have violated the law.

According to "60 Minutes," one of the employers who didn't follow the USERRA law was the VA Medical Center in Augusta, Ga. According to Lesley Stahl's report, Army Reservist Joanne Merritt returned home from a two-year deployment to discover she'd lost her job as a nurse who worked with wounded soldiers.

Merritt told "60 Minutes" that the VA Medical Center explained to her that she was gone too long so they "had to give that (job) to somebody else."

According to "60 Minutes," Merritt filed a complaint against the VA and was able to get her job back within a couple of weeks.
    But why are companies violating the law?

Dave Miller, the vice president of Con-way freight, told "60 Minutes" that despite pledging to support his guard and reserve employees, he is losing his patience. According to Miller, the deployments are long, employees are being called up for multiple tours of duty, they're called up on short notice, and it's costly for companies to hire and train temporary replacements.
    For veterans who have experienced violations to the USERRA, Assistant Secretary of Defense Thomas Hall told "60 Minutes" he vows to offer help.

"Let me make this commitment right on the air, if I could just for a moment. If there's any guardsman or reservist or family member that has a problem, call my office. Call me personally," Hall told Stahl on "60 Minutes." "My number is 703-697-6631. And I will ensure that I put a case worker on it. If necessary, I will call the head of the company or the agency personally. I don't just make that offer just precipitously. I mean that because we're concerned about it. My office will react, and I invite people, if they have a problem, tell me."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Dave Miller, the vice president of Con-way freight, told "60 Minutes" that despite pledging to support his guard and reserve employees, he is losing his patience. According to Miller, the deployments are long, employees are being called up for multiple tours of duty, they're called up on short notice, and it's costly for companies to hire and train temporary replacements.

Well , Mr. Miller at least your at home with your love ones and not getting shot at or having someone try to blow you up with an I.E.D. "Losing his patience" that about sums it up. I honestly don't know if this country will ever be able to win another war because of our increasingly short attention spans. Sacrfice for your country is great as long as it is someone else making the sacrifices.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When that happened the first time, after Sept. 11th, the Air Force had a battery of attorneys on base that would go to work and fix it.

Most employers were pretty quick to fix it when an attorney showed up or wrote a letter explaining the law.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I saw that report on 60 Minutes - Yeah, the Assistant Secretary of Defense was so angry about it that he gave out his office phone number over the air, and said to call him.

I hope he hired a lot of call-takers.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I am not surprised that Wal-mart is on that list. Sam Walton would be rolling over in his grave if he knew of the atrocities that have happened in his stores since his passing.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    A shame really...a damn shame.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information