Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Stray 50-Caliber Bullet May Have Traveled 5 Miles Before Hitting Woman at Texas Motor Speedway, Breaking Her Arm in Three Places

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4ab463f.html

Benbrook man says his bullet may have hit woman at Texas Motor Speedway

12:00 AM CST on Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dan X. McGraw

Fort Worth police are investigating reports from a 49-year-old Benbrook man who says he may be responsible for the stray bullet that hit an Arlington woman Sunday morning at Texas Motor Speedway.

Kennith Jaramillo contacted Fort Worth police on Monday after hearing that Jill King Moss, 62, was hit in her arm by a .50-caliber bullet that pierced the roof of her RV, authorities said. Ms. Moss was taken to Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital and is expected to recover from her injuries.

Given the bullet's trajectory, Fort Worth police investigators believe the bullet came from far away. [latest estimates: 5 miles away]

Mr. Jaramillo told police he was target shooting five miles from Texas Motor Speedway between 10 and 11 a.m., said Lt. Paul Henderson, a Fort Worth police spokesman. Mr. Jaramillo fired five or six rounds at a berm, a mound of dirt, with his .50-caliber Vulcan single-shot rifle.

Fort Worth police took his weapon for ballistics tests. If tests confirm the bullet was fired from his weapon, Mr. Jaramillo could be charged with deadly conduct for recklessly firing a weapon, Lt. Henderson said.

Mr. Jaramillo has not been arrested or charged in the incident.

[It sounds to me like they're almost ready to rule this accidental, but they haven't fully released the circumstances. The shooter is a competitive long-range target shooter who knows exactly what his rifle can do, so all I can figure is that he may have had an accidental discharge or something ]

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Know your backstop......and make sure it isn't an arm.

Why was she at TMS Chuck?? Something going on there this weekend?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I know the USA is a big country but does anyone really need a rifle that can fire over 5 miles. You must have some long shooting ranges if 5.56, 7.62 or .303 is not powerful enough to hit the targets at the end
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

It's not really the power that attracts them, Dave, it's the long-distance accuracy (although the power in terms of velocity and bullet weight accounts for the accuracy). Typically a 50 cal Barrett or Vulcan is much more accurate at long ranges than the smaller calibers which drop considerably, so long range shooters like the 50-cals. There are shooting matches specially for the 50-cals, and they shoot targets out beyond 1000 yards.

I can't even see the targets that far off! Of course, they have good scopes and spotters. Even slight breezes come into play at that distance, which makes it a challenge that some people love - For me, it's too much like work

Yeah, Jmur, they were having some big races out at TMS this weekend, so a lot of people were camped out in their RV's. I don't keep up with what goes on out there, but when I came through the area Saturday, it was lined with off-duty cops directing traffic from every agency around here including ours. I'm just glad I made it through before the floodgates opened up!

(\__/)

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    I know the USA is a big country but does anyone really need a rifle that can fire over 5 miles. You must have some long shooting ranges if 5.56, 7.62 or .303 is not powerful enough to hit the targets at the end
    The United States is a country where we do not allocate our rights based upon a definition of "need."

However, in the interest of honestly answering your question, we do indeed have 3000 yard shooting ranges - it has become quite a popular sport. You'd get quite a kick out of it if you have any interest in external ballistics - these guys have it down to a science.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    I have to give some credit to the guy for owning up to it. It's likely he'd never have gotten caught considering the distance, and how many people in TX own large rifles.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Agreed.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I have to give some credit to the guy for owning up to it. It's likely he'd never have gotten caught considering the distance, and how many people in TX own large rifles.

+1

Charlie is the charge of "deadly conduct for recklessly firing a weapon" a charge that would require the victim to press the charges ie signing a warrant in TX? Pay for my medical costs and take me shooting twice a year or so and I'd call us square.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

The husband of the victim was on TV this morning attesting to the guy's character - he even went to the hospital yesterday and personally appoligized to the lady and her husband, and reportedly was pretty torn up over it.

Yeah, I believe a Deadly Conduct charge is possible whether there is any victim or not, but it has to be reckless - However, if he pointed it in the direction of people, vehicles or buildings, then recklessness is automatically assumed. Given the range of that thing, pointing it anywhere but down at the dirt around here would be pointing it at people.

I suppose there's a few situations where it wouldn't be reckless, such as having it discharge due to a mechanical defect in the gun, his chair collapsed or he tripped and fell on a rock or something.

(\__/)

Thread Information