Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO

I wish I were there...

http://www.mndaily.com/2008/11/01/un...fights-robbers

University custodian fights off robbers

BY Joe Nelson
    PUBLISHED: 11/02/2008

When Ramon Acevedo , a custodian at the University of Minnesota had finished his shift early Thursday morning, two teenagers approached him near Smith Hall.
    According to Acevedo, he was walking toward his moped, and the teenagers asked if it was his.
    When Acevedo said yes, one of the would-be thieves pulled out a knife and said, “This scooter’s mine now.”
    Although the police report stated Acevedo only took a fighting stance, the former golden glove boxer said he fought back.
    “I threw a couple punches,” Acevedo said. “I was ready to dance a little bit.”
    The teenagers then took off running, the 52-year-old Acevedo said.
    “I’m a little old, but I never forgot my stuff,” he said.
    The University of Minnesota Police Department recommends compliance in situations like these, but that self defense is allowed, Sgt. Erik Stenemann said, even though fighting back can be dangerous.
    “If you do decide to fight back, even if they don’t fight back, you’re risking an injury,” Stenemann said.
    Anita Bendickson , a self-defense teacher at the University, said she never recommends students to risk their lives for material objects.
    “You really need to think through the risks of resistance,” she said. “Your life and your health are much more important and much less replaceable than any possession.”
    Acevedo’s manager, Lenoy Loudermill, said he asked the police if they could send someone to talk to his staff about how to treat these kinds of situations.
    “We want them to make good decisions in how they react,” he said. “Our plan is to do some extra training.”
    Stenemann said after instances like these, police are asked to give more public safety talks.
    “We handle at least one a month, if not more, talking to groups about the state of campus crime and also hinging on that, personal safety recommendations,” he said.
    Loudermill said Acevedo was lucky.
    “I think he was fortunate it was just young kids that were more afraid of him than he was of them,” Loudermill said. “Our recommendation to our people is to look at the situation.”
    Acevedo said he lives in a dangerous part of South Minneapolis and was prepared for it.
    “I see them come with a knife, I’ll fight them back,” he said. “If I see them pull a gun on me, that’s a different story.”
    Bendickson also recommended examining the situation first.
    “The thing that you have to look at is ‘What are the risks here, and what am I risking?” she said.
    Acevedo said he doesn’t consider himself a violent person, “but you know, I don’t let nobody come and try to take what I got.”
    “These people, when they see another person that’s afraid, that’s why they act. But they see you respond, they take off,” he said. “I take a chance.”
    According to University police, the suspects were last seen running toward the Washington Avenue Bridge.
    They were both described as 16- to 17-year-old East African males, approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall with thin builds. One was wearing a black baseball cap, black jacket and blue jeans, while the other had a white, pull-over style sweater and blue jeans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I hate when they say dont fight back. Good for him!
    Arm the sheep!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Look what the victims said "When they see someone thats afraid they (bad guys) act"
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Look what the victims said "When they see someone thats afraid they (bad guys) act"

Yeah and he's right.
    Arm the sheep!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'd rather take a stolen report than respond to a murder or violent assault (on the original victim)

Not saying what he did was wrong, but I tell people the same thing; no piece of property is worth your life.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I'd rather take a stolen report than respond to a murder or violent assault (on the original victim)

Not saying what he did was wrong, but I tell people the same thing; no piece of property is worth your life.

And how do you know that they wont hurt you anyway? I'm tiny and cute and I'm not about to sit there and let them hurt me if I have a chance to get away.
    Arm the sheep!

jrs721 is offline miss deputy
    this is just me, but i work hard for what i have & will not let someone take it from me without a fight. if i get a little injured in the process then oh well..........i bet the other guy will look worse! i took defensive tactics very seriously.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    shoot them in the knees, drag them to the trees, string them up high with a short pice of rope, and let them swing till the sun goes down. they will not be a threat to anyone else.

Thread Information