Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

The Top 10 occupations in General Happiness

Career isn't the only factor in determining someone's overall happiness, but it's certainly a major contributor. So, what kind of jobs do the happiest people in the U.S. have? And, what about these jobs contributes to overall happiness in life? A University of Chicago study, "Job Satisfaction in the United States," offers some insight.The study says the occupations where people report being happy overall, not just in terms of job satisfaction, involve helping others, technical and scientific expertise, or creativity.
    Tom W. Smith, director of the General Social Survey at the National Opinion Research Center at UC, elaborates: "Happiness is determined by how much satisfaction you get from all domains of life, and work is an important domain, so it's one of the major components of overall happiness."
    According to the study, the top occupations in general happiness are:

1. Clergy

Job Description: Conduct religious worship and perform spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of religious faith or denomination.
    Very happy: 67.2%
    Median salary*: $44,102

2. Firefighters

Job Description: Control and extinguish fires, protect life and property and conduct rescue efforts.
    Very happy: 57.2%
    Median salary: $45,553

3. Transportation, ticket, and reservation agents such as travel agents

Job Description: Travel agents plan and sell transportation and accommodations for travel agency customers.
    Very happy: 56.5%
    Median hourly rate (travel agents): $14.23

4. Architects

Job Description: Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
    Very happy: 53.5%
    Median salary: $54,079

5. Special education teachers

Job Description: Teach school subjects to educationally and physically handicapped students.
    Very happy: 52.6%
    Median salary (preschool, kindergarten or elementary school): $41,344
    Median salary (secondary school): $43,060

6. Actors and directors

Job Description: Actors play parts in stage, television, radio, video, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction.
    Very happy: 51.0%
    Salary varies greatly

7. Science technicians

Job Description: Use principles and theories of science and mathematics to solve problems in research and development, and to help invent and improve products and processes.
    Very happy: 51.0%
    Median salary (research scientists): $72,435

8. Miscellaneous mechanical and repairing occupations

Job Description: Automotive service technicians and mechanics diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul automotive vehicles.
    Very happy: 53.6%**
    Median hourly rate (mechanics/auto tune up): $15.26

9. Industrial engineers

Job Description: Design, develop, test, and evaluate integrated systems for managing industrial production processes.
    Very happy: 48.4%
    Median salary: $61,729

10. Airline pilots and navigators

Job Description: Airline pilots, copilots, and flight engineers pilot and navigate the flight of multi-engine aircraft in regularly scheduled service for transport of passengers and cargo.
    Very happy: 49.1%
    Median hourly rate (airline pilots, copilots, or flight engineers): $63

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I went to college originally for Achitecture, but half-way through switched to criminal justice. Hmmmm, I guess according to this, I could have been more happy staying with architecture. Guess that just shows how off this list is, in my opinion. Yeah there is a lot of BS in our job, but I get tons of enjoyment and satisfaction out of it.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A University of Chicago study...
    Yeah, not putting too much stock in that study. Those 10 jobs are probably the 10 jobs where you are least likely to get shot at while going into work.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Yeah, not putting too much stock in that study. Those 10 jobs are probably the 10 jobs where you are least likely to get shot at while going into work.
    True Rhino and of course you not seeing Police Officers and Postal Service in that list................LOL, But at least in our profession we have to worry about being shot at by shit bags. But the Postal Service, i.e. mail carriers and worker bees have to worry about Joe Blow being pissed at his boss and shooting everyone at the office........................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Um, so I should quit and become a firefighter?
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Are you saying WE are not happy, Well are you.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Um, so I should quit and become a firefighter?
    Better yet, become clergy!

Thread Information