Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Missing Girl, 1, Found Alive Under Floor

WOODBURN, Ore. -- A 1-year-old girl reported missing Monday was found under the floorboards of her grandparents' home, causing the floor to have to be torn up, police said.

Woodburn police responded to a call of a missing child at about 5 a.m. Monday after the girl's father woke to find the room she had been sleeping in empty, officers said.

Lawrence Higgins Jr. told officers that he went to bed in the same room at about 10:30 p.m. Sunday with his three children: a 5-year-old, a 3-year-old and the missing 1-year-old, KPTV in Beaverton reported.

When Higgins awoke at about 4:50 a.m., he found that his daughter, Kate, was no longer in the room, police said. The girl's grandparents also said they hadn't seen her and, after searching, they called police.

The girl's uncle, Tim Higgins, said the family feared the worst.

"We were like, 'She couldn't have went anywhere. She can't walk,'" he said. "'She's gotta be here unless somebody came in and took her.'"

About 15 officers arrived and searched the house and the surrounding area, but the girl could not be found, police said.

At 7:30 a.m., an officer heard the child coughing in the bedroom but still couldn't find her, police said.

They realized that the child had managed to climb underneath the flooring, although they couldn't figure out how she had gotten there, police said.

A hole was found, but it didn't appear to be big enough for a child to fit through, officers said.

Officers cleared the room of furniture and began to tear up the floorboards using crowbars, police said.

Officers could then see the child at the other end of the room but couldn't get her to come out, although she was conscious and appeared to be OK, police said.

The rest of the flooring then had to be torn up in order to get to the girl, who was finally rescued, police said.

"They found her OK, and I was just so relieved," Tim Higgins said. "It was a happy moment."

Kate was taken to Silverton Hospital to be checked out and was released after she was found to be unharmed.

Officers said it appears that somehow the child fell off the bed, got stuck in the opening and wiggled through.

Department of Human Services workers were called in, and they found the grandparents' home to be unsuitable for children, Officer John Mikkola said.

The DHS later found the home of the children's parents to be unsuitable for children as well, Mikkola said.

DHS workers who took the three children into custody said the homes were too dirty, Mikkola said.

http://www.newsnet5.com/family/17954135/detail.html
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    That poor little girl, glad she was OK but what is wrong with these people to have children living in these conditions. With holes in the floors like there could have been rats under there.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    That poor little girl, glad she was OK but what is wrong with these people to have children living in these conditions. With holes in the floors like there could have been rats under there.
    I have been to some jobs where living conditions were just horrendous, some people just live like slobs and just can't help themselves. Glad the children where removed.

What I find strange, is why did this girl not respond when they were calling for her, is there something else going on in that house?

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's just common. I've been through some of the worst shit holes you can imagine outside of a third world country. DSS won't do anything unless it's absolutely the worst conditions.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Good grief. I'm glad the child is ok...
    Arm the sheep!

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I saw some video from the house. Most of the floor is sections of plywood and/or particle board.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That poor baby, I'm glad that she's ok.

Thread Information