Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Police arming residents with radar guns

Police arming Newcastle residents with radar guns
    Article

NEWCASTLE, Wash. – Residents in Newcastle who complain that drivers are speeding through their neighborhoods will now be able to prove it. Newcastle police are arming residents with radar guns.

"We all have little kids and they're riding their bikes in the street and running around and we all get in a big hurry to get out kids here and there and not be late for appointments or whatever,” said Cheryl Coupens, one of the first people to sign up for the program.

When civilians clock someone speeding, they jot down the vehicle information and pass it along to authorities. There is no fine because the radar is not being operated by commissioned officers, but owners of the speeding vehicles do get a warning letter.

The first person to check out one of those radar guns used it in a residential neighborhood near Newcastle Elementary School. Over the course of three days she caught 72 people who were speeding. Of those, about a quarter was going more than 10 miles faster than the posted speed limit.

Newcastle’s police force has just seven officers, including the chief. She says loaning out the radar gun will free up her patrol units for more pressing matters and will help them focus their limited resources in spots where speeders are a concern.

"We can see what the patterns are for the times when they're speeding, and then if there's a real problem in that neighborhood, we go back, go out there with a marked unit and run radar ourselves and then that's when the tickets may follow,” said Chief Melinda Irvine.

Coupens says it’s volunteering with a twist.

"I thought it was a really good idea because I think we all need reminders to slow down,” said Coupens.

The City of Newcastle did purchase a new radar gun for the program for $700, but believes it will more than pay for itself.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Newcastle is a King County Sheriff contract city - and although they are reporting this as new, Car 4 was doing this program on the Pine Lake plateau in 1989 as a precinct commander.

It actually does work well, it keeps the people who constantly complain about speeders involved in the solution to their own problem.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pretty soon they will learn that the most of the time the fastest vehicle in their neighborhood (on a regular basis) is a school bus. That is usually how these complaints end for me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Pretty soon they will learn that the most of the time the fastest vehicle in their neighborhood (on a regular basis) is a school bus. That is usually how these complaints end for me.
    A school bus? Why?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    A school bus? Why?
    The SOBs speed like it is going out of style. However I digress. I usually end these neighborhood complaints by citing the Home Owner Association Nazi responsible for the complaint.

Me: The reason I stopped you was for your speed. We have received numerous complaints from residents in the area.

HON: I know. I have written letters to the Sheriff about the speeders.

Me: Glad to hear we are fixing the problem. Sign here.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The SOBs speed like it is going out of style. However I digress. I usually end these neighborhood complaints by citing the Home Owner Association Nazi responsible for the complaint.

Me: The reason I stopped you was for your speed. We have received numerous complaints from residents in the area.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Around here, the busses and drivers are private contractors - The more kids they pick up in the least amount of time with the least equipment, the more money they make.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It actually sounds like a good idea, as long as they aren't issuing citations. I like it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The only question I have is who determines which civilian gets to operate the radar gun?

$700.00 is a lot of money on equipment to be loaning out to just anybody. Special programs that Maclean referred to?

I love it when the idiots who think that they are above the law get caught. Just because they are the HOA, mayor, councilmen, etc is no excuse. I hope this HOA Nazi paid his fine without any further complaints.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Pretty soon they will learn that the most of the time the fastest vehicle in their neighborhood (on a regular basis) is a school bus.
    Or some of the people in that neighborhood who have called and complained the most about the speeding vehicles. A neighbor where I previously lived approached me the first day I moved in and spoke of speeders in the neighborhool. The speed limit was 35 on our road. A few months later I locked her husband on his crotch rocket doing 78.

A few towns in my area now do the civilian radar program and say it has been very successful.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    It got so popular around my precinct at the time that people were fighting to get the system in their neighborhood.

The kicker was that we would put a motor officer just down the street to take care of the assholes who didn't like being on the radar set. That duty was also very popular cause you usually got a warrant or an attitude adjustment out of it. I once saw some dipshit crash his car while trying to show off for the citizen running the gun.

This program....and others like it are what drove many of these newly incorporated cities to contract with us and which allowed us to continue to grow even though our territory was shrinking. It really does work to slow folks down for a while and later, we would have those same citizens doing our parking patrol or phoning in info about a drug house.

I know it seems a little touchy feely.....but it paid huge dividends for us...we are now the 12th largest sheriff's office in the country with services and units we could never have created without contracting.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I'm going to be the stick in the mud and disagree. I think this is a stupid idea.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO

I was assigned radar duty for 7 years when I was in Traffic found that to be the truth more times than not

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    ....but it paid huge dividends for us..
    So all the warnings are actually making people drive slower?

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Anyone every stopped a school bus?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    So all the warnings are actually making people drive slower?
    The dividend he was referring to was widespread support for the Sheriff's Office to the point that when those places incorporated and became cities, they kept the Sheriff as their police provider.

To this day, the SO is one of the agencies around here that sees huge public support when other outfits are taking it in the shorts.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I had to blue light a school bus the other day going close to 15 over the limit with kids onboard.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The bus drivers around here drive fast so they can boot these bad ass juveniles off their bus quicker. If the majority of my bus was talking shit to me and I couldn't do anything about it I drive like a maniac too.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    They don't have many thugs on our buses....pretty tame k-6 graders on them from a rural country area.

n30
    n30 is offline A woman in man's job; but always a lady ;-)
    Verified LEO
    way out sw fl by the everglades. im over it
    sounds like a liability nightmare
    V

Thread Information