Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up Ore. sheriff fights disclosure of concealed gun permit info

HILLSBORO, Ore. - Washington County Sheriff Rob Gordon is warning holders of concealed gun permits that he may be forced to release their personal information to the public based on a recent court order.
    The order stems from a case out of Medford where teacher Shirley Katz wanted to bring a gun to school. She argued she needed a gun to protect herself from her ex-husband.
    Last year a judge ruled against her - saying the school district has the right to forbid employees from having guns on school property.
    In April, the Jackson County sheriff was ordered to release a list of all the concealed handgun license holders to a Medford newspaper. The case is now before the Oregon Court of Appeals.
    In the meantime, Gordon plans to send letters Friday to about 10,000 concealed handgun license holders in his county. He wants them to respond whether they want their personal information kept confidential and whether they applied for the license to protect their personal safety.
    The sheriff believes the license holder information is exempt from the state's public records law if people get the license for safety.
    An Oregon court decided that there is no evidence that people get the licenses for security measures, so the sheriff's office is hoping to prove them wrong.
    Still, he warns in the letter that a court may order the release of the information regardless. Gordon said several groups are asking for the information, including the media and "other groups related to sporting and hunting."
    "As your sheriff, I refused to disclose that information because I believe many people obtain a concealed handgun license for personal security and would not want that information made public," he writes in the letter. "I also resist disclosing personal information because of the continuing identity theft risks."
    David Frazier, owner of Beavercreek Armory, said it is his right to quietly carry a gun and he is upset that it could be released to the public.
    "It kind of disturbs me that people are wanting to out people," he said. "It's obvious that it's none of their business. It's a private matter between me and the sheriff's department."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What a load of sh!t
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If I recall they printed a list of concealed carry permit holders in Virginia not too long ago. It is absurd.
    Arm the sheep!

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Ahhh, the left coast strikes again.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    First I would like to praise the Sheriff for refusing to turn over these records without a fight.

I'm curious on a point of law if anyone can enlighten me.
    The sheriff believes the license holder information is exempt from the state's public records law if people get the license for safety.
    I'd also question 'safety' from another angle, suggesting it is against 'public safety' to publish names (and thereby addresses) from which a criminal could obtain a handgun at his leisure. Should we publish the owners of 50" plasma TVs as well? Assuming there is a public interest to be satisfied, beyond politics, why should the public have more access to information on people who are looking to protect themselves than anyone else?

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Are they just wanting the sheriff to release the names of people with permits, or are they also wanting to release info such as addresses, etc.?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Are they just wanting the sheriff to release the names of people with permits, or are they also wanting to release info such as addresses, etc.?
    A name can get you an address and more with either a phone book or the internet. Either way, it's a bad idea.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I suppose though for someone like me, it wouldn't matter. I don't even have a valid gun permit anymore, since I don't need one for being a cop. But for civialians, it would really suck to have anyone knowing that you have guns in your house. Yes, it could act as deterrent when someone appears to be home, but if they aren't home, it's an invitation to break into a house to look for guns.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Interesting case that started it all.

Having worked at a school, and put on high alert on several occasions due to DV situations amongst parents of kids, maybe what needs to be revealed is TROs?

Not to hijack the thread (too much) but for parents out there, how would you feel if your child's teacher was so in fear of an Ex they needed to carry? Haven't we had DVs played out in our schools with deadly consequences? I know many TROs include workplace with distance, but do you think a school should be advised?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think teachers with CCW permits ought to be able to carry in schools anyway. At least my kids would be safe from homicidal maniacs. As it is now they would just be executed until the cops show up.

My kids teachers are well armed. They are home schooled.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information