Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Family Dog Shot

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Family Dog Shot

ROCHESTER, Minn. (WCCO) ― A Minnesota family's home is a lot quieter and much lonelier after someone shot and killed their dog earlier this week.

"She's a real timid, shy dog, but lots of love. A lot of people loved her, and she was so good to everybody," said Kayla Jensen.

Amara was a Basset Hound and Kayla and her family gave the hound a new life and a new home three years ago. They rescued the abused dog from a local pound.

The family saved Amara a second time, when they put her through surgery to remove tumors. The family felt Amara knew how much they loved her, but love couldn't save her Monday.

"Two gun shots, clear as day," Kayla's boyfriend Jason Horsman remembered.

Jason let Amara outside for a few minutes, and he went to check on her when he heard the shots.

"And I went up closer to her, called her name, and she got up. She could barely walk. Then I noticed she was dripping blood from her mouth," Jason said.

Amara was about 20 feet from the front door.

"Amara was laying right here, just shaking and cold and bleeding from the head, and I was like 'This can't be true,'" Kayla said.

The family rushed Amara to a local animal hospital but on the way there, she died.

"By the time I got there and grabbed her, I knew she was gone," remembered Jason.

At first the family was sad, but now they are angry.

"It sounds like it was meant to be. Somebody purposely tried doing this to our dog," said Kayla.

Rochester Police don't know who shot and killed the hound, and they haven't heard of any other dogs being shot in the area.

Kayla and Jason want to know who did it. They're even offering a reward to someone who can help them find the person.

They don't remember Amara bothering anyone by either barking or howling. They only remember the good times with her, like hunting, fishing and playing. Those memories are now what they have to hold onto.

"We really miss her a lot," said Kayla.

http://wcco.com/pets/basset.hound.shot.2.863858.html

This happened less than an hour from me. If some mo'fo' shot my dog, I swear I'd kill 'em. My dogs are like my children. I see my dogs more than I see any other person. Speaking of, there are pics on my profile of them! Anyway, I'd be on a rampage! I hope they catch the son of a bitch that did it, but for some reason I have a gut feeling the family knows more than they're sharing. But that's just me.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    WTF?!!!! Who would shoot a Basset Hound? Somebody seriously needs their ass kicked.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I hear you Jmur, We are the same way with our cats. They are like our children, especially when we don't have any. They are our family. It's really too bad that those who commit crimes against family pets aren't prosecuted with the same veracity and get the same penalties as those who commit them against humans. Sounds like someone has a vendetta against the family. This is uncalled for, and the perps should be punished.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    WTF?!!!! Who would shoot a Basset Hound? Somebody seriously needs their ass kicked.
    It was a neighbor sick of the incessant barking. Those might be the most annoying dogs on the planet. It's still messed up though shooting someone's pet.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    It was a neighbor sick of the incessant barking. Those might be the most annoying dogs on the planet. It's still messed up though shooting someone's pet.
    I have a basset hound. His name is Sherlock. He is probably the most annoying dog i've ever owned. ever. period.

But at the same time he is also the most loyal and loving dog I've ever owned. They are easily the best family dog. He loves to cuddle and every chance he get's he's climbing on my lap and looking up at me with those sad droopy eyes as if he's asking "Can I please lick you?" He's got a mighty/protective bark, and I strongly, strongly believe that even though he's got short stubby legs he fight to the death to protect me, even though realistically he'd probably lose!

Just an amazing breed of dog. But yes Xiphos you're dead on....they're annoying as hell!

But I will never not have a basset hound again. As soon as I lose one, I'll be getting another as soon as I'm ready.

Anyway, that's the end of my sappyness.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Anyway, that's the end of my sappyness.
    Awww now Jmur...you go on ahead with your sappy self.

No lie about the going postal thing. I am hell on wheels when it comes to animals and children being abused/neglected. My guess on this though (and I dont know the area so maybe I am wrong) but the dog got shot when the family let her out...doesnt sound like they watched her. She probably went to the neighbors lawn to do her business..the neighbor is pissed about the millionth time she has done this and shot her. I don't agree with it..and I would still go postal if it were my dog but I also dont let them go out unattended. Poor dog
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I hope they catch the son of a bitch that did it, but for some reason I have a gut feeling the family knows more than they're sharing. But that's just me.
    You mean to say that people sometimes don't tell the police the truth/whole story????? I'm in shock!

You shoot my dog, you better pray my gun jams!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's horrible, and I do hope they find the person who did it. I'm inclined to agree with those who have suggested it's an angry neighbor.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's horrible, and I do hope they find the person who did it. I'm inclined to agree with those who have suggested it's an angry neighbor.
    Neighbors these days either don't know how to talk to other neighbors or are scared to, whether justified or not. It's sad. It's bad enough when neighbor's call the police instead of handling issues like adults. But when the neighbor just skips the police and takes matters into their own hands by shooting the dog, it's beyond just being sad. It's pathetic.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Any chance it was hunters?

I grew up wearing red or orange in the fall to keep from getting shot by hunters, and there was never a fall that passed without someone's cow/horse/pony/dog and occasional child being shot by hunters that shoot at movement.

Remember the Mom who was shot on her own porch by a hunter, because he thought her mittens were a deer tail?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Was the dog in a fenced back yard? Was the dog let outside to roam free?

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It appears that from watching the video clip posted with the news clip link, she was let out the front door to run free outside an apartment complex. Possibly unattended. Careless on the owners part but still no excuse to shoot a family pet.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    It appears that from watching the video clip posted with the news clip link, she was let out the front door to run free outside an apartment complex. Possibly unattended. Careless on the owners part but still no excuse to shoot a family pet.
    Yeah regardless of how stupid an owner is, there is no excuse for shooting a dog unless it is done in defense from a dog attack.

Thread Information