Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Iraq war veteran shot by California Deputy. Deputy arrested for manslaughter.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The 21-year-old Iraq war veteran seen in a video being shot by a sheriff's deputy says in a recorded statement that he has difficulty walking.
    Senior Airman Elio Carrion released a videotaped statement through his attorney Thursday, a day after San Bernardino County sheriff's Deputy Ivory J. Webb pleaded not guilty to attempted voluntary manslaughter and was released on $100,000 bail.
    "My physical therapy continues to progress and I still have difficulties walking," Carrion says, looking into the video camera.
    "I'm sorry I haven't been able to speak publicly, but right now I'm focused on my physical therapy and healing."
    The tape shows him sitting on a couch next to his wife and moving around with the aid of a walker.
    The January 29 shooting was videotaped by a bystander and broadcast on U.S. national television. (Watch the shots being fired -- 1:00)
    It shows Webb shooting Carrion, who was not armed, in the chest, shoulder and thigh after a brief high-speed chase involving a car in which the airman was a passenger.
    Webb, who faces up to 18 1/2 years in prison if convicted, has not spoken publicly about the shooting.
    Carrion, who is assigned to a security unit at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, Louisiana, has not been charged with a crime.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    I saw this coming right after it happened. Even though I try not to judge someone until I've been in their shoes; what was this deputy thinking?
    Could it be he got caught up in the pursuit and wasn't able to turn it down after apprehension? I hope I'm never put in that situation.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

FishTail Guest
    I'd really like to know what was in his head when he pulled the trigger. That's the key to it all.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    The video link doesn't work
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    I'd really like to know what was in his head when he pulled the trigger. That's the key to it all.
    My guess is that he was scared to death. The analysis of the tape showed that he did in fact tell the guy to get up and then shot him when he did. His voice sounded pretty panicked to me.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

FishTail Guest
    So... does it work in California the same as in England? That if you have an honestly held belief (however unreasonable) that you are in danger of death or serious bodily harm you can use lethal force?

Iron Man is online now Don't Tase me bro!
    I know here the law regarding lethal force is based of the officer's persecption. I don't see how that can be different anywhere else.

Way too hard to judge another's actions over a small video clip. Plus none of us here have any idea of what the officer was thinking.

I will say it does not look good for the deputy. Did a passenger run? I seem to remember that. Why did the passenger run?
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Way too hard to judge another's actions over a small video clip. Plus none of us here have any idea of what the officer was thinking.
    That's where I'm at with it; I hate to criticize or defend his actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    So... does it work in California the same as in England? That if you have an honestly held belief (however unreasonable) that you are in danger of death or serious bodily harm you can use lethal force?
    I think it is going to come down to reasonability; California is a very liberal state with intense gun control laws. What would an officer with similar training and experiences do under the same conditions. Of course this is impossible to determine; we can't know what he was thinking or feeling. With so many over zealous prosecutors, this guy is going to have a real hard time.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

Thread Information