Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: SWAT Oops....

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

SWAT Oops....

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/loc...6e6f5d&rss=991

SWAT team leaves assault rifle behind

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A member of Salt Lake County's SWAT team left an M4 assault rifle in front of someone's home after leaving the scene of a standoff in the township of White City.
    Salt Lake County Sheriff's Deputy Levi Hughes says the gun was left by a veteran member of the SWAT team who forgot the weapon in the grass while packing up gear after the standoff ended.
    "It's a terrible mistake," Hughes said. "For this to happen one time is unacceptable. The public expects more out of us than this. We're going to take every step possible so that this never happens again."
    A homeowner found the rifle in the front yard of a house a few hours later and notified authorities. Hughes says an officer on patrol stopped by the home and recognized the rifle as a weapon belonging to the SWAT team.
    Hughes says the officer will face disciplinary action, but probably won't be fired.
    Hughes said the SWAT team responding to Saturday's standoff consisted of employees from the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office, Taylorsville Police Department and Unified Fire Authority. He declined to name which agency the officer who forgot the gun worked for.
    He said SWAT team officers have a process called "resetting" after responding to each incident, in which officers carefully pack away equipment. It's unclear how the officer got distracted and missed packing the rifle.
    "To the public, some might look at it like 'I'm glad nobody got hurt,'?" Hughes said. "To us, it's as devastating as it gets."
    ---
    Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Wow. I can picture the pranks being pulled on that Officer now...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Yeah I would hate to be the officer that left the gun behind. Gonna be rough for him/her.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Hey Mom check out the toy gun I found in the front yard....... Bang...... Bang.. Ba Ba Ba Ba ba Ba ng ng ng ng ng
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Cross240 is offline Temporarily Civilianized
    File this in the WTF files, but a guy i used to work with at a different agency had a M4 in his trunk. He took a sharp curve running emergency traffic, and some how it fell out of the trunk and slid across the road and into a parking lot of a stop and rob. I can imagine the was a embarrising ride back to the store to pick up his rifle after the clerk called the sheriff's dept.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross240 View Post
    File this in the WTF files, but a guy i used to work with at a different agency had a M4 in his trunk. He took a sharp curve running emergency traffic, and some how it fell out of the trunk and slid across the road and into a parking lot of a stop and rob. I can imagine the was a embarrising ride back to the store to pick up his rifle after the clerk called the sheriff's dept.
    What the hell was wrong with the trunk that it opened up on its own for the gun to fall out.....
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    What the hell was wrong with the trunk that it opened up on its own for the gun to fall out.....
    Me thinks there is more to this story...like he left it ON the trunk.

I carry a rifle...and so far it has never just "fallen" out of my trunk....wouldnt it have to jump out of the trunk anyway??? LOL
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    And everyone thinks GUN CONTROL is bad
    Last edited by bayern; 11-25-08 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    He's lucky that the homeowner called it in instead of keeping it.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    One of the Alabama trooper swat members left his rifle on my dad's (he's a local chief) range overnight. One of the town workers brought it to my dad that next morning, still had one in the chamber. The trooper showed up about 30 mins. later looking for it. Dad said he was looking VERY pale when he had to ask if anyone had seen his rifle.

Thread Information