Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Florida Woman Says Former Church Plans to Make Her Sins Public

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469928,00.html

A 49-year-old Florida woman says her former church is threatening to reveal her sins to its congregation after learning that she is in a "sexually immoral relationship."
    Rebecca Hancock told FOXNews.com that Grace Community Church, a non-denominational church in Jacksonville, Fla., was against her relationship with boyfriend Frank Young because the two were sexually active but not married.
    When she wasn’t willing to obey the church's orders to leave him, she decided to leave the church instead, allowing her two children to remain active members.
    Now, she says, church elders have given her the worst ultimatum yet: In a Dec. 8 letter, they told her she either has to meet with them and end her "immoral" relationship or she will face public humiliation.
    “Bottom line, on January they 4th they are going to the church publicly with my sins, and my children will be sitting in church at the time,” Hancock told FOXNews.com.

A church leader wouldn't commit to an interview when contacted Thursday by FOXNews.com. The Rev. T. Scott Christmas, pastor of the church, told the Florida Times-Union that the "process of loving accountability" is made very clear to members, and the church is doing "nothing more than following the practices of what biblical churches have done through history."

Hancock, who is divorced, said the problems began in March, when she started telling her church mentor about her relationship — in what she thought were confidential conversations.
    “As it progressed I told her about it and she said, 'You’ve got to get out, you’re biblically wrong,'” Hancock said.
    Despite knowing her relationship was against church rules, Hancock said she never realized that disclosing it would trigger the first in a three-step process used by the church to deal with sinners: private admonishment, admonishment in the presence of witnesses and finally public admonishment.
    Still, she said she tried to follow her mentor’s advice and break up with Young, who wasn't a member of the church.
    “I must have gone through 10 breakups trying to end it, but after not having the power to do it I would go back,” she said. “It was hard to give up somebody I love.”
    Hancock learned that her private sessions with her mentor hadn’t been so private after all, when in October her mentor pulled her aside in church and asked her come into another room.
    “In the room, there were several women that I never told my business to. And they proceeded to tell me about my business and what I was doing and what a sinner I was — just persecuting me.” Hancock said. “One of the ladies was even saying ‘I was at your house when you didn’t come home all night.’"
    It was then that Hancock said she decided to leave Grace Community Church.
    “I told them, ‘I cannot believe you people are doing this. I’m not going any further — I’m never coming here again,’” she recalled.
    Her boyfriend said the church wouldn’t let it end there.
    “The pastor kept calling her, and I informed him that she [Hancock] would appreciate it if neither he nor any member of his church contacted her ever again,” Young told FOXNews.com.
    Almost two months later, Hancock received the letter from the elders of Grace Community Church, explaining that she had left them no choice but to continue the disciplinary process.
    “Your refusal to repent and be restored in your relationship with God and His Church leaves us with no alternative than to carry out the third step of the discipline process,” the letter explained. “In accordance with Matthew 18:17, we intend to ‘tell it to the church.’”
    Darrell L. Bock, a research professor for the Dallas Theological Seminary, said that public admonishment is not uncommon in churches that focus on discipline but added, "Most churches would handle this much more privately than this particular community is choosing to do."
    This kind of process normally would happen after "much more private interaction" with the person, Block said, and is normally reserved for church leaders as opposed to "a normal member of the church."
    More importantly, he said, the actions are unusual given that Hancock had severed her relationship with the church.
    Hancock sent a formal letter of resignation after receiving the elders' ultimatum in hopes of solving the dispute. She said she fears for her 20-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter if the church carries out its threat.
    “I don’t really care what they do to me. But I am concerned about my children sitting in church with their mother being crucified by the church that they trust,” she said. “I am very concerned about how it would affect them.”
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    that is ridiculous...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The part that is ridiculous is that her children will be sitting in the church at the time.

Uh, they're your kids. Remove them.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Her children are old enough to realize that a relationship while not being married is a sin according to the Bible. If she doesn't want them to hear it, she can ask them not to go. On the other hand, I think the elders of the church are completely insane and should probably step back a moment and remember some of the OTHER teachings of the Bible...like you should not judge and let he without sin cast the first stone.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The church elders need to get a life. Like irishmick said "let he without sin cast the first stone"

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, now that this is a news story, what is 'telling it to the church' going to accomplish?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I agree that some of the actions of the church members (staking out her house!?!) are extreme, especially actions after she's allegedly severed her membership. On the other hand, like irishmick said, Hancock's so-called concern for her children is ridiculous. Hancock claims, “I must have gone through 10 breakups trying to end it, but after not having the power to do it I would go back,” she said. “It was hard to give up somebody I love.” If you two are so wonderful together, and you want to be right with God, why are you not getting married? It's a prime example of convenient religion. People like Hancock want to attend church, yet not be held accountable. Yes, none of us is without sin, but you can't flaunt immoral behavior and expect no one to take notice, especially within the membership of a church.

She "fears" for her children, yet they are old enough to stay or go as they please. I find it rather ironic that she is more concerned that the church members are going to speak of her sins in the presence of her children, and less concerned with leading her children by example. Her children know she is living in sin. Correct the problem, or stop complaining when it is pointed out.

(Interestingly enough, the pdf file of the letter from the church is titled "Church Extortion"!! Me thinks someone needs to learn the definition of extortion, lol! http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/..._Extortion.pdf )
    Last edited by adroitcuffs; 12-19-08 at 04:29 PM. Reason: 'Cause CB clearly recognized my lack of coffee before reading.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Well and if she brings the issue in the public by talking to fox news about it, then hasn't she just told far more people about her sins than the church ever intended to?????
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Their letter references Ephesians - I know how some interpret Ephesians, but I have always wondered if they were right.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Lots of silliness all around. First by telling the media this woman has shown that she doesn't really care if a lot of people know about what she did. And her children should be mature enough to come to their own decisions about whether to leave the church, stay and defend their mother, or side with the church against their mother. But the church leaders also sound like stalkers, staking out her house and trying to embarrass her even after she left them. Surely they have better things to spend their time on.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    She said she fears for her 20-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter if the church carries out its threat.
    Dear kids... your mom is a harlot. Now its national news. That is all.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Events like this make me glad I'm the token Druid.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The whole thing is stupid. This is 2008 (almost 2009, lol). I think there are alot more things to worry about in this world than an adult man and woman living together out of marriage. Would it have been better is they lived separately and still slept together?

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Amen to that!

~from one of the token pagans
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Oh no, a man and woman living together, unmarried in sin. This is the kind of stupidity that gives religion a bad name. I'm sorry, but the bible could not possibly be a strict interpretation of reality. I would never belong to a church like that, and this lady sounds like a moron.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morris

Amen to that!

~from one of the token pagans

Do they represent your faith?

Neither should this church represent mine...

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Very Christian of them.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Do they represent your faith?

Neither should this church represent mine...
    I agree CB...no offense meant. Religions of all types and sorts can harbor those less than stellar (both mentally and spiritually).
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information