Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Thumbs down Banks to request removal of hats, hoods, sunglasses

This strikes me as being about as effective as asking armed robbers to check their weapons at the door

As soon as an employee asks a robber to remove his cap or sunglasses, it seems to me that a lot of them will cause a confrontation, instead of politely complying with the request.

I guess the prospect of a confrontation may deter some nervous 1st-time robbers, and the claim that a non-compliant person would alert other customers is probably valid, but whatever happened to ACTUAL deterrents, like hiring armed security guards???

http://www.flowermoundleader.com/art.../news/01fm.txt

By Chris Roark, Staff Writer
    (Created: Monday, December 15, 2008 3:39 PM CST)

The Flower Mound Police Department has announced it will implement a similar program used by agencies in Lewisville and Highland Village to help make banks safer.

Police will begin asking customers to remove hats, hoods and sunglasses when entering a financial institution. The program will include signs (lol ) distributed to all banks in town. The signs will read, “For your safety and ours, please remove any hats, hoods and sunglasses before entering our business. Our employees appreciate your cooperation in this effort to deter crime.”

Lt. Wess Griffin of the Flower Mound Police Department said the program has been in discussion for a while, and the robbery at Washington Mutual on Cross Timbers Road on Dec. 1 served as a reminder of how the town needed to implement it.

“There’s no need to re-invent the wheel,” Griffin said of the program. “But, when we see someone using a program that works, we want to use it, too.”

Highland Village began its program in December 2007, and Lewisville followed in April.

Karol Carter, assistant vice president of Bank of the West in Lewisville, said she feels the program has helped make her bank safer.

“I do see them remove their sunglasses when they come into the bank,” she said. “I’ve seen a lot of the Friday crews stop and read the sign a couple of times before entering the bank. I’m glad we implemented it here. Although we give our tellers all the training necessary on how to handle situations, we’ll take all the extra protection we can get.”

Cpt. Kevin Deaver of the Lewisville Police Department, said there has been only one bank robbery in Lewisville since the program’s implementation, and he said he would like to think the program has helped limit those crimes.

Griffin said while customers won’t be required to remove such accessories, the signs should help deter criminal activity.

“People can still wear those things when they enter a bank,” Griffin said. “But, this is kind of like the cell phone ban in that it’s meant to raise awareness. To you, it might not be a big deal to wear a hood inside of a bank, especially if it’s cold outside. But, if someone does that, it keeps the bank from having good surveillance on you, and it raises red flags because it’s not entirely normal. It reminds the public that it’s best to remove those things when you’re going into the bank so that everyone is comfortable. As a customer, I’d be wary if I saw someone come into the bank wearing a hat and sunglasses as they approach the teller.” [ok, one good point, but I'd be wary of them anyway]

The signs are expected to be distributed by police volunteers to all 25 banks in Flower Mound by the end of the week.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Good job on posting this weeks after I did. I think this is completely dumb, but ultimately, it's up to the customers to decide whether they are going to put up with it or not.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Good job on posting this weeks after I did. I think this is completely dumb, but ultimately, it's up to the customers to decide whether they are going to put up with it or not.
    Oops

Well this is a new thing around here

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information