Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

A voter-approved law reducing possession of small amounts of marijuana to a civil offense threatens to unravel drug testing of police officers

A voter-approved law reducing possession of small amounts of marijuana to a civil offense threatens to unravel drug testing of police and other public employees, the Herald has learned.
    The law, which goes into effect Jan. 2, prohibits government agencies and authorities from enforcing any punishment for pot possession with a fine greater than $100, according to the Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association, and defines possession so broadly as to include traces of pot in blood to urine to hair and fingernails.
    “This very much threatens to undermine our ability to do the drug testing we do,” said Jack Collins, an attorney for the Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association.
    Collins is calling for police departments to stop drug testing certain employees until the Legislature can explicitly allow public employees who fail drug tests to be punished. Without swift action, police departments and other agencies face lawsuits from unions protecting their members, Collins said.
    “At this point, it looks like a violation of their rights, and then there’d be a lawsuit and it would cost thousands of dollars,” he warned.
    Berkshire District Attorney David Capeless predicted the new law has far-reaching consequences for even school bus drivers and MBTA train operators, who could point to the law and say they can only be fined, not fired, for marijuana offenses.
    “People given the critical job of looking after children or the general public, there’s a greater risk now they could be high,” Capeless warned.
    Concerns about the viability of punishing people for flunking drug tests follow news reports of drug use by public workers. The Herald found that 77 MBTA employees have failed substance-abuse tests over the past three years.
    A task force set up by Public Safety Secretary Kevin Burke is examining the implications of the new law and how it will be enforced. Burke’s office is expected to provide answers to questions of drug testing by year’s end.
    Meanwhile, the Boston Police Department plans to continue drug testing regardless of any uncertainty, said Elaine Driscoll. “Enforcing our drug policies is non-negotiable,” Driscoll said.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So will they do away with gratuity punishments when the cops or firefighters get the munchies?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So testing after vehicle accidents, shootings, and other admin requests would be out too? Hell why don't we just send the dopers to interdiction school next. Brilliant.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    So testing after vehicle accidents, shootings, and other admin requests would be out too? Hell why don't we just send the dopers to interdiction school next. Brilliant.
    They'd do really well in the class about what marijuana smells like!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Now that is just asinine - that's akin to letting people drive drunk because alcohol is legal.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Now that is just asinine - that's akin to letting people drive drunk because alcohol is legal.
    +1

Alcohol is legal but you can't use it on duty (around here anyway) so whats the difference?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Oregon has had that marijuana law for 25 years or more. It really doesn't matter that much. We don't call it a civil matter, but a "violation" with no jail and a max fine of a hundred bucks. Civilization hasn't crashed yet over it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Oregon has had that marijuana law for 25 years or more. It really doesn't matter that much. We don't call it a civil matter, but a "violation" with no jail and a max fine of a hundred bucks. Civilization hasn't crashed yet over it.
    It isn't the law that worries me - it's that they think they can use it to stop drug testing cops.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    +1

Alcohol is legal but you can't use it on duty (around here anyway) so whats the difference?
    I can't drink on duty???? Man, no wonder I didn't get that promotion.

hahaha
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Good for BPD not being swayed by the hype over the law. I'm perplexed as to why the attorneys seem to think this will change hiring / discipline standards. California also made possession of less than an ounce of marijuana a mere infraction (non-arrestable offense) many, many years ago. The miscreant voters also voted for a much-abused "medicinal marijuana law" a few years back. Those changes in law have not at all changed agency hiring standards, nor should it.

The public statements made by the Berkshire DA will actually have a more harmful effect than the change in law itself because now the courts risk being flooded with cases from those hopeful to escape accountability. The earlier reference to alcohol is the perfect analogy. While I am old enough to purchase and consume alcohol legally, to consume or be under the influence of said alcohol during the course of my duties would clearly be a violation of department standards and, in the use of my vehicle, a violation of state law. Employment is optional; I don't have to work for my employer if I don't like the rules. (Now that I think of it, employement really is optional... I could become an alcoholic and let the government support me... ah, but I digress.) While the n'er-do-wells who occasionally pose as school bus drivers or MTBA train operators may seem to think their drug use doesn't affect their ability to do the job, I'd like to believe that even our demoralized society doesn't want to see said employees smoking a joint before they come to work in the morning to transport human cargo.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Thread Information