Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pmfc is offline ^

Flipping The Bird: Protected Free Speech?

PITTSBURGH -- A Pennsylvania motorist is going to federal court to protect a very specific part of what he claims are his free speech rights: the right to show his middle finger.

Thomas Burns of New Castle, Pa., was cited for disorderly conduct last April after he became frustrated with a PennDOT traffic delay and he flipped his middle finger at a construction worker. The worker reported the gesture to a police officer in Beaver County, Pa., who cited Burns.

The citation was dropped in October when the officer and the offended construction worker failed to appear at a hearing Burns requested to fight the citation.

But now Burns is suing in federal court in Pittsburgh saying he never should have been cited in the first place and was maliciously prosecuted. He contends he was denied his First Amendment free speech rights.

Source

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Re-Post http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...ead.php?t=3241

But I say no, in a public environment it is not...

FishTail Guest
    It's likely to cause a breach of the peace, so no.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I believe here they get you under some sort of aggressive driving law, since it often leads to altercations.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    I believe here they get you under some sort of aggressive driving law, since it often leads to altercations.
    That would be for driving not flipping someone the bird. The actions while possibly related can not be tied together. Hince why you can flip a cop off as you drive by and while we may flip around on you and follow you, we can not stop you and cite you just for that.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    You gotta be kidding me! A construction worker whined to the police that some guy flipped him off! The poor baby!

Sorry, but our society has evolved far past the point that flipping someone off should be against the law. Maybe in the 50's, but when they're selling CD's and such that use the fuck word liberally, it's hypocritcal to arrest some guy for getting frustrated and flipping off some construction worker.

Besides some of these construction flaggers are a pain in the ass anyway. Having that stop sign in their hand is the most authority they ever had in their lives and they are by God gonna use it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Would it be protected free speech when the construction worker monkey stomps his ass into the ditch? I'd laugh.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Would it be protected free speech when the construction worker monkey stomps his ass into the ditch? I'd laugh.
    If the construction worker cried to the police, my guess is that he probably wouldn't be big enough to do that. Maybe we should post police around construction sites so the workers don't get their sensibilities hurt.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That would be for driving not flipping someone the bird. The actions while possibly related can not be tied together. Hince why you can flip a cop off as you drive by and while we may flip around on you and follow you, we can not stop you and cite you just for that.
    Might count under curse and abuse, but I wouldn't push my luck.

FishTail Guest
    It's an offence here and I have used it to great effect on the usual scumbags who flip me off. Easy way to get them off the street.

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    Hey, if it's good enough for our President (just look at my avatar picture), it's good enough for some crybaby construction worker.

Now, if someone flips me off, that's a who other story.

BTW, I find it hilarious that Burns was cited in Beaver County!
    Last edited by Kimble; 03-15-06 at 10:24 PM.
    "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    You gotta be kidding me! A construction worker whined to the police that some guy flipped him off! The poor baby!
    Good point, O mighty one! That does seem kinda sissy for a construction worker

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Good point, O mighty one! That does seem kinda sissy for a construction worker
    Thanks. I just can't envision a scenario where I would feel it necessary to call the police because somebody flipped me off. I'd be too embarrassed.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Over here it's a 500 Euro ($ 600 ) fine for flipping the bird. My bosses wife got that one a few years ago.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Over here it's a 500 Euro ($ 600 ) fine for flipping the bird. My bosses wife got that one a few years ago.
    Now thats what I am talking about. That would really put a stop to these oh so bad criminals.

Good lord give me a break its the middle finger its not like he whipped out his penis.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Supporting Member Lvl 2

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    +1

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That's it, I'm pressing charges!

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Now thats what I am talking about. That would really put a stop to these oh so bad criminals.

Good lord give me a break its the middle finger its not like he whipped out his penis.

I dunno how things work where you work at, but here we can cite someone for giving someone the finger while they are driving. "Improper hand signals."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I'm offended - I'm pressing charges against both the original perp and the ones that display it again in their posts

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information