Welcome to the APBWeb.
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO

Ex-Hastings (MN) officer, city reach $105K settlement

Former police officer Valerie Scharfe and the city of Hastings have reached a $105,000 settlement.
    Scharfe resigned from the department on Jan.15 after claims surfaced that she filed 37 fake traffic warnings over a two-year span to fill a department quota.
    The Hastings Police Department requires officers to make at least two traffic stops per 11-hour shift.
    Thirteen of the false tickets were issued to people who do not exist, according to the criminal complaint. Of the remaining 24 tickets, 22 were issued to people who are in the Department of Motor Vehicles’ records.
    Investigators contacted the people who were ticketed and all denied even driving in Hastings on the dates Scharfe recorded.
    Scharfe, the first female officer on the Hastings force, was charged for the ticket incidents and shortly after, filed a lawsuit against the city.
    The suit against the city claimed gender discrimination and a hostile work environment within the police department. Both the city and Scharfe denied any unethical conduct and a deal was reached Monday.
    In March, Scharfe told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the fraudulent traffic tickets were nothing more than a clerical error.
    "I made errors in writing down driver's license numbers," Scharfe said. "I know I've done nothing wrong."
    The 15-year veteran explained the mistakes were due to a prescription medication, which affected her vision.
    "It's a huge side effect. It's not anything new to me," she stated.
    Scharfe wouldn't name the medication, but said she needed the drugs due to years of sexual harassment by top police administrators.
    "I was hit on, I was told certain things I shouldn't have been told, I was propositioned," said Scharfe.
    She said she didn't speak up sooner because she needed the job.
    "I don't think I could get a job in law enforcement again," she said.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S724046.shtml?cat=1

So she's charged with writing fake tickets, yet is awarded a settlement with the city? I'm confused

Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Just goes to show if you're going to accuse anyone of such misconduct, you better be ready to back it up. I'm so disgruntled with my city over a couple of things that I'm glad she got ahead.

The new golden rule: Screw unto others before they can screw unto you.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    So she's charged with writing fake tickets, yet is awarded a settlement with the city? I'm confused
    That's because you're using old fashioned thinking.

Dishonesty is virtue.
    Incompetence is ability.
    Failure is to be rewarded.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Or, the sexual harassment she described actually did occur and the city decided to settle because they'd have lost.

Not taking her side, she's still a lying bitch, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if she really did have a sexual harassment case
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Give her the money for the harassment and then fire her ass for lying on official documents/taking medication that impairs her ability to work reliably.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I notice that she didn't file until AFTER she was caught. Maybe I've been on the management side of things for too long, but as far as I'm concerned, she's got nothing coming.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I notice that she didn't file until AFTER she was caught. Maybe I've been on the management side of things for too long, but as far as I'm concerned, she's got nothing coming.
    Keith I have to agree with both you and Xiphos. Why is it all of sudden once her come to light the blame for responsibility has to be shifted elsewhere to the department itself for "making her" do the things she did?

It just ain't right, but it will get you paid.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Thread Information