Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Sheriff speaks out against traffic cameras, saying they're wrong, and rids his county of them

TUCSON - Pima County officials want to install 20 speed-enforcement cameras to slow traffic, while neighboring Pinal County is pulling them because the new sheriff believes they are strictly used to make money. Pima County supervisors are expected to vote next week on a proposal to deploy 10 fixed and 10 mobile speed-enforcement cameras. They would supplement cameras already used by the city of Tucson and a statewide program being implemented by the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Tickets would be processed by county Justice Courts.
    Supervisors will consider the $1.5 million one-year contract with American Traffic Solutions Inc. of Scottsdale on Tuesday.
    Meanwhile, new Pina County Sheriff Paul Babeu had ended a contract with Scottsdale-based Redflex Traffic Systems Inc. to operate mobile traffic cameras in his county.
    "I am against it, not only because I'm a strict constitutionalist, but I believe that the main purpose, is it's driven to create money for the government, in this budget deficit that's what the whole design is" Babeu said in a video shot by a group opposed to photo enforcement called CameraFRAUD and posted on its Web site on Friday. "It's corrupting law enforcement for us to be partnered with a private entity that creates revenue. Purely that's their interest.
    "I've never yet seen a photo-radar camera arrest a drunk driver or arrest a person with a warrant, see if somebody has insurance or to just simply give directions to somebody, " Babeu said, adding that he supports red-light cameras because they are clearly safety related.
    A DPS spokesman told KNXV-TV in Phoenix that Babeu is entitled to his opinion but DPS photo-enforcement operations will continue in Pinal County.
    Babeu said he's hoping that incoming Gov. Jan Brewer will end the statewide photo enforcement.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Babeu said, adding that he supports red-light cameras because they are clearly safety related.
    Pretty sure that there have been studies concluding that red light cameras actually increase the number of accidents at intersections. ie rear end accidents due to people slamming on the brakes at intersections with the cameras.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Kudos to the Sheriff for standing up for his beliefs instead of caving into to the financial pressure in these hard economic times. It could have been easy for him to say he is against them, but still allow them because the county needs money.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't see how you can differentiate between speed cameras and red light cameras. They both do the same thing for dangerous traffic infractions and both are money making ventures with private entities. He loses all credibility supporting one but not the other. Shit or get off the pot dude.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll take 50% right over nothing, but I agree with Xiphos.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information