Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Cop in trouble after women realize that breast and genital fondling while being frisked aren't normal parts of the average traffic stop

A veteran Toledo police officer was charged with two counts of sexual imposition Friday after he was accused of inappropriately touching four women after stopping them for various offenses, Chief Mike Navarre said. Officer Christopher McQueen, 42, who was appointed to the department in December, 1993, was sent a summons to appear on the charges in Toledo Municipal Court Jan. 20. Mr. McQueen voluntarily took himself off the department's payroll in September, when he was questioned by internal affairs investigators about the incidents. "We've never been able to get anything from him as to his side of the story," the chief said. The officer is considered a member of the Toledo Police Department but is not receiving a salary or benefits, Chief Navarre said. The police patrolman union's contract allows officers, who take themselves off payroll, the right to refuse to answer questions if the matter they are being questioned about administratively is also being investigated criminally. The allegations stem from five separate incidents involving four women, who told investigators they were fondled by Mr. McQueen before being arrested or cited. Chief Navarre said three additional charges likely will be filed.Mr. McQueen, who worked in field operations on the midnight shift, is accused of touching the women's genitals and breasts while searching them.
    The first incident allegedly occurred on I-75 near the Ottawa River exit about 4:30 a.m. June 23. The woman was cited for traffic offenses. The second victim was stopped two separate times and arrested each time for possession of drug paraphernalia. Those incidents occurred Aug. 3 and Aug. 8 in the area of Alexis and Telegraph roads in West Toledo, Sgt. Sam Harris of the special victims unit said. A third woman was stopped Aug. 14 while driving on Telegraph Road near Laskey Road and arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license. Sergeant Harris said the fourth victim was stopped about 2:30 a.m. Aug. 15 while walking near Oak Street and Navarre Avenue in East Toledo. She was arrested on a warrant from the Northwood Police Department. Chief Navarre said police officers have the right to search people, but department policy requires that female officers search female suspects. If a male officer conducts the search, they are to do so in the presence of a witness, the chief said. "The policy does not allow officers to reach into the woman's brassiere and feel her nipples and that's what he's accused of doing in one incident," he said. Chief Navarre said Mr. McQueen will face administrative charges once the criminal case is completed. In 2005, Mr. McQueen was charged administratively with two counts of conduct unbecoming of an officer. He was suspended for 60 days and removed from his position as a school resource officer at Woodward High School. Toledo police did not release details of the incident. Mr. McQueen was paid an annual salary of $55,055.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How can he be employed at all after this???? Not only that but then refusing to cooperate with an administrative investigation! WTF does it take to get fired from that department?????

If I pulled that with Garrity I'd be fired. End of story. As it should be.

Wow.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Don't they usually call a female LEO in to do these searches? How is this done if a female LEO is not available at the time?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Don't they usually call a female LEO in to do these searches? How is this done if a female LEO is not available at the time?
    The article says their policy requires a witness.

That's the same as my department. The unwritten policy is that you search females yourself with a witness and preferably also a camera going. Arrest searches for weapons are done this way. If I think dope is involved I'll let a female deputy at the jail do the detailed search for me when we get there. I'll check for weapons myself before the trip though. If I don't have any charges and think that there's drugs then I'll get a female officer. They can check in cracks and cleavage for me.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Some of us don't have the luxury of a female officer on duty. Do the search with a witness, use a flashlight for the more sensitive areas, wear gloves for protection. Not that difficult to do. There is no gender equality in America, despite what the Feminists tell you.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The article says their policy requires a witness.

That's the same as my department. The unwritten policy is that you search females yourself with a witness and preferably also a camera going. Arrest searches for weapons are done this way. If I think dope is involved I'll let a female deputy at the jail do the detailed search for me when we get there. I'll check for weapons myself before the trip though. If I don't have any charges and think that there's drugs then I'll get a female officer. They can check in cracks and cleavage for me.
    Remember "the good side of the hand" and "the bad side of the hand"

I'll search a female for weapons, but anytime I arrest a female, I tell the deputies at the jail that it was cursory in the field. They have a female do a good search... I did get frustrated with a female officer on my squad one time who did a search of a female that was LESS thorough than I could have done!

Our policy generally permits us to search a female, even alone. But use common sense, too. Ideally, you want a witness, and I really don't go much further than a frisk. In a situation that requires a really thorough search in the field -- I'm getting a female, even if I have to call for a neighboring agency. If there's just no way, and I must do it myself... I'm getting witnesses, and verbalizing EVERY step of the process and the reason.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds good to me. I take it that this officer didn't have a witness and didn't subscribe to the CYA rule?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    You mean I'm not allowed to do that?

Well, crap. What's the point of being a cop then?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Sounds good to me. I take it that this officer didn't have a witness and didn't subscribe to the CYA rule?
    Evidently the guy in the article is accused of copping feels on needless searches.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    If a woman was handy, I'd call her, otherwise I'm never took the chance of putting an armed woman in the back of my car. Same with a witness, on a busy night I wasn't going to wait 15 minutes or more for someone to clear and show up to watch me.

We were taught to use the back of our hands when in sensitive areas. If anyone ever complained about the way we did it, I never heard about it.

But then I never searched any that I recall unless I was arresting them or had a very good suspicion that they had weapons or drugs on them.

My experience has always been that street people rarely have a problem with anything like that. It's Jane Citizen and most likely I'm not going to be dealing with her.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    It's a great benefit that 1/3 of my shift is female. Usually, one of them is working and I can have them come to my stop for any searches.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    One of the many uses for the Kubaton on my key ring is for frisking females , if a female officer is not available. I also don't frisk without a witness unless absoutely necessary. We were also taught to use the backs of our hands in the academy. I always let a female perform any search incident to arrest.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    It's a great benefit that 1/3 of my shift is female.

That's debatable.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Maybe he thought he was performing a service to the community. I noticed it says he did it to one woman twice. Not only is he a jerk but an idiot as well. I guess he figured she wouldn't complain after the first one. This guy is why people don't trust us and question our actions when there's no video.

Thread Information