Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Aerobics and yoga classes, workout rooms and open-air courtyards were just a few of the amenities recommended for California's hospitalized felons

(01-11) 16:58 PST -- Aerobics and yoga classes, workout rooms and open-air courtyards were just a few of the amenities recommended for California's hospitalized felons in a draft report for the court-appointed receiver tasked with overhauling the state's prison health care system.
    The recommendations called on the cash-starved state to spend $8 billion on seven new hospitals - each roughly the size of 10 Wal-Mart stores - to replace a decrepit health care system that a federal judge says is killing an average of one inmate per week. Judge Thelton Henderson said state officials were incapable of fixing the system and handed the job to receiver Clark Kelso.
    The draft report, posted recently on the receiver's Web site, said the new hospitals' environment "should be 'holistic' in expression."
    "In the place of sterile prison corridors or barren, large-scale 'yards,' both staff and patient should experience landscaped courtyards and places of rest and respite," the draft said.
    The report also suggested that the new prison hospitals include:
    -- Workout rooms to "promote wellness," featuring exercise machines and space for "therapeutic activities such as aerobics, yoga, (and) group exercise." Plus handball courts.
    -- Outdoor courtyards "where patients will be encouraged to participate in recreational therapy programs such as horticulture."
    -- Gymnasiums with a basketball court and a music room, a crafts room, game room and therapy kitchen.
    -- Outdoor running tracks.
    The report also said there should be day rooms for patients featuring a "quiet room for reading and study, as well as a separate room for group TV watching." Each should include "a liberal use of sound attenuation materials and be designed to maximize natural light to create a normative environment," the document said.
    The report also recommended plenty of landscaping along the perimeters of the lockups to hide the fences and electronic surveillance systems.
    The overall idea is to create something that doesn't resemble a prison, the document said - hence, designers should "explore a unique blend of hospital, community college and residential scales as a basis for the site plans."
    Jim Brosnahan of San Francisco, legal counsel for Kelso, described the document as a "second draft" that had been rewritten before Kelso approved it.
    Critics said the final document was merely stripped of specific references to such things as yoga classes and handball courts, but was otherwise pretty much the same.
    But Luis Patino, spokesman for the federal receivership, said most of the fuss is over mental health treatments already mandated by the courts.
    Kelso "is simply trying to get the state to live up to its own policies," Patino said.
    State Attorney General Jerry Brown went to court late last year to try to stop the state from being required to make the first $250 million down payment on the plan. He argued that the feds had no authority to order construction at state prisons, especially at a time when California is facing a $40 billion deficit.
    "The receiver has worked in secret and ... is building lavish facilities that go way beyond what the ordinary citizen is accustomed to," Brown told us Friday.
    But Brosnahan and Patino disagree, and say Sacramento has yet to offer up any alternatives.
    "Sound-bite political sniping," Brosnahan said, "is not that helpful or constructive."
    Museum chat: Rumors abound that Gap founder Donald Fisher, who is rebounding from health problems, is getting impatient with the roadblocks being put in front of his plan for a modern art museum in the Presidio.
    Word is, Fisher is back in talks with the Museum of Modern Art and/or the M.H. de Young Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park about housing his private collection.
    Fisher rep Alex Tourk tells us Fisher didn't initiate the discussion - and if there's talk of moving outside the Presidio, it's only as a backup.
    Brass ring: Don't hold your breath for a quick replacement for outgoing San Francisco Police Chief Heather Fong - Police Commission President Theresa Sparks tells us the obligatory national search for finalists will take at least six months.
    Mayor Gavin Newsom and the commission will then have to decide whether to go outside the department or pick the new chief from within.
    In the past, that hasn't been much of an issue. There's been just one chief in recent memory who came from outside San Francisco. And Newsom, who is gearing up to run for governor and needs the backing of the city's police union, has indicated he is open to replacing Fong from within.
    Sparks, however, said she "wouldn't put any odds" on the new chief coming from the SFPD.
    On the other hand, luring an outside chief could be tough.
    Given the nutty nature of San Francisco police politics - and the fact that Newsom will be moving on no later than January 2012 - anyone with any brains would probably want an ironclad contract. That couldn't happen without a City Charter change, which, in turn, would mean going to the ballot.
    The winner, whoever he or she is, will have to clear the Board of Supervisors in addition to the Police Commission and the mayor's office.
    In other words - the leaves that haven't even bloomed on the trees yet could be on the ground before a new chief is in the Hall of Justice.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    WTF are they wanting to create? A dayspa for hardened criminals? That is nuts.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Would you rather a two strike quoted his prison law learnin' to you or curled up in a lotus position ready for cuffing?

Look at the upside

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Would you rather a two strike quoted his prison law learnin' to you or curled up in a lotus position ready for cuffing?

Look at the upside
    haha, If they are going to remodel anything let them build me a decent station
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I have an idea . . . . . . if a prisoner gets sick in prison, let them freaking die. Cost: nothing. Benefit: one more cell opened up for someone who really needs it.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    My dad was the superintendant of a county penal farm here in the '70s. The inmates there got medical care, but only what they NEEDED. If they had a toothache, for example, either live with it or have it pulled because pulling it was the cheapest out. No fillings, no caps, no root canals, nothing. The result was that there was much less complaining about being sick or in pain.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    May I recommend public canings?
    Arm the sheep!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Terminator, just what kind of girly-man state are you running out there in California?

No wonder the state is bankrupted.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    penal farm
    hahahahahaha!!!!! Brad wishes he could go live on one of those!!! hahahahahaha!!!!!!

On a related note, maybe if inmates are busy doing yoga, they won't be raping each other all day. Oh, wait.....I couldn't care less if guys in prison were getting raped! You would think the daily sodomy train would be enough of a deterrent, but I guess not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    hahahahahaha!!!!! Brad wishes he could go live on one of those!!! hahahahahaha!!!!!!

On a related note, maybe if inmates are busy doing yoga, they won't be raping each other all day. Oh, wait.....I couldn't care less if guys in prison were getting raped! You would think the daily sodomy train would be enough of a deterrent, but I guess not.
    You think that's what he means by "Fire In The Hole."?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    WTF are they wanting to create? A dayspa for hardened criminals? That is nuts.
    It's called Club Med, prison style. Personally, I think we need to recruit Sheriff Joe from the next state over to reform some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Terminator, just what kind of girly-man state are you running out there in California?

No wonder the state is bankrupted.
    No kidding, When Kittylynn started work this semester for the CA state dept of rehabilitation, she couldn't get paid until the state budget passed.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Be a nice place to visit if it wern't for the lack of pussy.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Elena is offline Detective
    Verified LEO
    Outstanding, I need a nice free vacation. I think I'll wait until this measure passes and then commit a crime in California.

Thread Information