Welcome to the APBWeb.
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

NY: I-90 shut down after man with AK47 opens fire

A passenger in a taxi being stopped for speeding 84/65 opened fire with an AK47 style rifle for an unknown reason. I-90 was shut down for several hours due to the shootout that ensued and for collection of evidence. The perp later died at the hospital after being taken off life support. Thankfully no police or civilians were shot!

Dashcam video & article --> http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S740587.shtml

cellphone video & article -->
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/10/...tml#cnnSTCText

NY interstate closed after man shoots at trooper
    (CNN) -- Police closed a section of Interstate 90 in eastern New York on Saturday after a gunman opened fire at a state trooper after a traffic stop, authorities said.
    A law enforcement officer approaches the gunman Saturday along Interstate 90 in New York.
    A law enforcement officer approaches the gunman Saturday along Interstate 90 in New York.
    A witness said the scene was "chaos" as drivers and passengers ducked to avoid the shots and attempted to flee.
    The incident occurred about 11:55 a.m. near the town of East Greenbush, just southeast of Albany, the New York State Police said in a statement.
    "A large contingent of state police and East Greenbush PD responded to the area," the statement said. "The traffic on I-90 was evacuated, and I-90 was closed down in both directions in Rensselaer County."
    The gunman was shot and is in state police custody, authorities said. However, a section of I-90 between two exits, where the incident occurred, remained closed Saturday afternoon.
    The Albany Times Union reported on its Web site that the gunman was in a hospital, although it was unclear whether he was shot by police or turned the gun on himself. No officers were injured, the newspaper said.
    The gunman's condition was not immediately known.
    "It was chaos," said witness Carol Winn, who said she was headed to Albany on I-90 "when all of a sudden there was this big traffic jam in front of me." Video Watch scenes from Saturday's incident
    Winn said, "I heard a shot fired, and then I thought maybe there was a deer in the road and someone had to shoot it to put it down. But then I heard more shots and saw people ducking down in their cars, and I knew something was wrong."
    She said a trooper with his gun drawn walked beside her stopped car as she heard more shots. Along with other drivers, Winn fled the scene on foot.
    "There was maybe 100 people running south on the northbound lane, and as we were running, we heard shots continuing to be fired," she said. Winn estimated that the shooting was taking place about 15 cars in front of her.
    "I got in a car that was going south, and they got us to safety," she said. "I never got a chance to look at the shooter, but someone else that fled with me said he saw someone get out of a taxi cab with a rifle."
    Winn estimated hearing about 10 shots in all.
    Video footage shows the gunman standing outside what appears to be a taxi holding up a rifle as numerous police cars respond to the scene and other cars are stopped some distance away. A helicopter hovered overhead.
    Winn said Saturday afternoon that she was headed back to get her car, which was abandoned in the road, since that section of interstate had been reopened
    "I still have the keys in my hand, but I left my purse," she said. "I didn't care about my purse. I just left it there and ran."

"never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    A witness said the scene was "chaos" as drivers and passengers ducked to avoid the shots and attempted to flee.
    I'm so thankful that no one besides the shit head was plugged with extra holes.

Is it cynical of me to halfway expect some people to start saying that some people are going to blame the cops for inconveniencing him when he was merely a passenger in the cab?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    What happened to the cab driver?
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Weird. At least the shitbag died. A little more free oxygen for the rest of the world.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Glad to hear no one else was shot besides the asshat.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What's funny is everyone got out of their cars and ran South. No reports yet about anyone walking up to the officers during the gun battle and asking for directions.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information