Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

DUI Suspect Tries to Drown K9

Drunken-driving suspect tries to drown police dog before arrest
    By Susan Shroder
    Originally published 10:08 a.m. January 25, 2009, updated 11:47 a.m., January 26, 2009

CARLSBAD A drunken-driving suspect who fled on foot into a lagoon refused to surrender and tried to drown a police dog before he was arrested, police said Sunday.

Lavar Toosweet McKiernan, 24, (not 34 as previously reported) was taken to Tri-City Hospital in Oceanside, where he was being held under guard Sunday morning, police said.

He will be booked into county jail on charges of felony driving under the influence, felony evading causing injuries, and attempting to harm a police dog, said Carlsbad police Lt. Marc Reno.

Shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday, Carlsbad police Officer Samantha Alexander tried to stop McKiernan at Carlsbad Boulevard and State Street, near the Army and Navy Academy, after his vehicle nearly crashed into three parked cars, Reno said. The car's headlights were not on, Reno said.

McKiernan drove off with Alexander in pursuit, Reno said. He rear-ended a vehicle and ran into a telephone pole before fleeing into the Buena Vista Lagoon west of Carlsbad Boulevard, about a half-mile from where the chase began.

Other Carlsbad police officers, along with an Oceanside police dog and the San Diego Police Department's Able helicopter, responded to the lagoon. The helicopter spotted the suspect hiding in about 4 feet of water, Reno said.

The suspect was given several chances to surrender but refused, Reno said.

Several Carlsbad police officers went into the water, along with the dog, and McKiernan tried to drown the dog three times before he was arrested, a police dispatcher said.

The dog was not injured.

A 44-year-old man whose vehicle was rear-ended during the chase was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla for treatment of injuries, Reno said.

McKiernan's driver's license listed his hometown as Newport News, Va., a dispatcher said.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Drunken-driving suspect tries to drown police dog before arrest
    By Susan Shroder
    Originally published 10:08 a.m. January 25, 2009, updated 11:47 a.m., January 26, 2009

CARLSBAD A drunken-driving suspect who fled on foot into a lagoon refused to surrender and tried to drown a police dog before he was arrested, police said Sunday.

Lavar Toosweet McKiernan, 24, (not 34 as previously reported) was taken to Tri-City Hospital in Oceanside, where he was being held under guard Sunday morning, police said.

He will be booked into county jail on charges of felony driving under the influence, felony evading causing injuries, and attempting to harm a police dog, said Carlsbad police Lt. Marc Reno.

Shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday, Carlsbad police Officer Samantha Alexander tried to stop McKiernan at Carlsbad Boulevard and State Street, near the Army and Navy Academy, after his vehicle nearly crashed into three parked cars, Reno said. The car's headlights were not on, Reno said.

McKiernan drove off with Alexander in pursuit, Reno said. He rear-ended a vehicle and ran into a telephone pole before fleeing into the Buena Vista Lagoon west of Carlsbad Boulevard, about a half-mile from where the chase began.

Other Carlsbad police officers, along with an Oceanside police dog and the San Diego Police Department's Able helicopter, responded to the lagoon. The helicopter spotted the suspect hiding in about 4 feet of water, Reno said.

The suspect was given several chances to surrender but refused, Reno said.

Several Carlsbad police officers went into the water, along with the dog, and McKiernan tried to drown the dog three times before he was arrested, a police dispatcher said.

The dog was not injured.

A 44-year-old man whose vehicle was rear-ended during the chase was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla for treatment of injuries, Reno said.

McKiernan's driver's license listed his hometown as Newport News, Va., a dispatcher said.
    hope he was able to hold his breath when they dragged him out. The bottom was probably pretty slippery...

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    hope he was able to hold his breath when they dragged him out. The bottom was probably pretty slippery...
    They probably had a hard time keeping their balance climbing out too....hope they didn't drop him too many times.

jking09 is offline Banned
    wow.. that's a seeeerious drunk!
    i don't see how a drunk person could attempt a drowning of a trained k9.. wow.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jking09 View Post
    Really?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I'm glad that none of the officers, including the K9, were injured.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    IMO an attack on a K-9 is no different than an attack on an officer and should punishable as such.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    IMO an attack on a K-9 is no different than an attack on an officer and should punishable as such.
    I'm always amazed at the number that make it to jail..... But that's a subject I probably shouldn't get into.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    +1000000000000000
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I agree with you.

They do have a specific penal code in California, they used the same charge against the guy who killed a K9 last New Year's.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jking09 View Post
    Yeah, the drunks usually act in such a rational manner. I wonder what got into this one?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Yeah, the drunks usually act in such a rational manner. I wonder what got into this one?
    Nobody does much drunk that they didn't think of sober.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    +infinity

Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    They do have a specific penal code in California, they used the same charge against the guy who killed a K9 last New Year's.
    Here's what i was able to find.

Statutes

California

Penal Code 600

(a) Any person who willfully and maliciously and with no legal justification strikes beats, kicks, cuts, stabs, shoots with a firearm, administers any poison or other harmful or stupefying substance to, or throws, hurls, or projects at, or places any rock, object, or other substance which is used in a manner as to be capable of producing injury and likely to produce injury, on or in the path of, any horse being used by, or any dog under the supervision of, any peace officer in the discharge or attempted discharge of his or her duties, is guilty of a public offense. If the injury inflicted is a serious injury, as defined in subdivision (c), the person shall be punished by impreisonment in the state prison for 16 months, two or three years, or in a county jail for not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars ($2000.00), or by both a fine and imprisonment. If the injury inflicted is not a serious injury, the person shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand $(1000.00), or by both a fine and imprisonment.

(b) Any person who wilfully and maliciously and with no legal justification interferes with or obstructs any horse or dog being used by any peace officer in the discharge or attempted discharge of his or her duties by frightening, teasing, agitating, harassing, or hindering the horse or dog shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand ($1000.00), or by both a fine and imprisonment.

(c) Any person who, in violation of this section, and with intent to inflict such injury or death, personally causes the death, destruction, or serious physical injury including bone fracture, loss or impairment of function of any bodily member, wounds requiring extensive suturing, or serious crippling, of any horse or dog, shall, upon conviction of a felony under this section, in addition and consecutive to the punishment prescribed for the felony, be punished by an additional term of imprisonment in the state prison for one year.

(d) Any person who, in violation of this section, and with the intent to inflict such injury, personally causes great bodily injury, as defined in Section 12022.7, to any person not an accomplice, shall upon conviction of a felony under this section, in addition and consecutive to the punishment prescribed for the felony, be punished by an additional term of imprisonment in the state prison for two years unless the conduct described in this subdivision is an element of any other offense of which the person is convicted or receives an enhancement under Section 12002.7.

(e) In any case in which a defendant is convicted of a violation of this section, the defendant shall be ordered to make restitution to the agency owning the animal and employing the peace officer for any veterinary bills, replacement costs of the animal if it is disabled or killed, and the salary of the peace officer for the period of time his or her services are lost to the agency.

Leg.H. 1984 ch. 443. effective July 12, 1984, 1985 chs. 106, 765.

1984 Note: the Legislature inserted a cross-reference to Penal Code Section 12002.7 in subdivision (d) by Stats. 1984 ch. 443. However, the cross-reference is to a section that does not exist.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Wow, that's a very light fine, considering that a police dog can cost $10,000.

Too bad this one didn't get a chance to "take a bite out of crime".

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information