Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Friends catch a movie after man shoots himself in front of them

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...g.7a84756.html

08:33 AM CST on Tuesday, January 27, 2009
    By DONNA FIELDER / Denton Record-Chronicle
    dfielder@dentonrc.com

Denton, TX - Friends of a man who shot himself in the head Saturday night left the scene instead of attending to him and went to a movie because they needed to “calm down,” they told Denton police.

The victim, who has not been identified by police, remained in intensive care Monday at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. No charges have been filed, but the investigation is continuing, said Officer Ryan Grelle, a spokesman for the department.

Officers responded to a report of a gunshot wound about 7:45 p.m. in the 1600 block of Boyd Street, which is south of Mingo Road and east of Texas Woman’s University. Police found the man with a gunshot wound to the head. Police said two people who had been asleep in a back room came to the man’s aid after his friends left.

Grelle said the friends returned about 45 minutes after police arrived. They said the victim took the bullets out of a .38-caliber revolver and set them on the coffee table. He then placed the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The witnesses told officers they heard a click. They said the victim then loaded one bullet in the gun, placed it to his head and pulled the trigger. The gun fired.

The witnesses said they were upset and went to a movie to calm down, Grelle said.

Police have not determined what was happening when the gun fired and do not know whether the shooting was intentional or accidental.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sounds like the victim was not the only person in the house with brain damage.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What movie did they see to calm down?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post

Yeah, they had SOMETHING to do with it I bet, even if it was just daring him to do it. They probably went to a movie so they'd be seen in public and have an alibi (the tickets).

I'd like to have heard their conversation with the police when they came back - It's probably also a safe bet that they didn't immediately tell the police the real story, and probably still haven't.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What movie only lasts 45 minutes?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Sniff, sniff........... Something's fishy here.........

Wonder if forensics will determine that it wasn't even the "victim" that pulled the trigger? Or maybe it was a case of dumba$$es playing Russian Roulette? But the "friends" leaving and not calling 911??? I'd charge those f-ers with something for that.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    It sounds like the last episodes of Seinfeld when they laughed at a guy being robbed.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

Thread Information