Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Some local news

Shelby County Reporter | Attempted murder charges in cop shooting

Attempted murder charges in cop shooting

By Justin Averette (Contact) | Shelby County Reporter
    Published Tuesday, January 27, 2009
    COLUMBIANA — The man who is accused of shooting a Columbiana police officer Jan. 22 will face attempted murder charges.
    Brandon Contrell Cotton is being held in the Shelby County Jail on bonds totaling $560,000. He faces charges of shooting officer Jeff Bowers around 3 a.m. Thursday.
    Bowers was grazed near the hip while responding to a call on Downing Drive, off Egg and Butter Road. He was treated and released from Shelby Baptist Medical Center that same morning.
    Bowers was shot while exiting his police car on a patrol request.
    There was an exchange of gunfire, Columbiana Mayor Allan Lowe said. No other injuries were reported.
    “I’m very thankful that the officer was not injured more,” Lowe said. “Please continue to pray for Officer Bowers.”
    Two persons of interest were originally questioned in the case, but Cotton will be the only one charged, Police Chief Lamar Vick said.
    Several other agencies responded to help investigate the shooting, including the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office.

Comments

Posted by Momoftwo (anonymous) on January 27, 2009 at 5:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    Why was only 1 officer responding to this call? Columbiana City Council needs to stop spending money on beautification and hire more officers for night patrol!!!!!!! I know the money is there!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by caligirl200832 (anonymous) on January 28, 2009 at 12:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    I have noticed that the young man has been charged with attempted murder for what the news has been saying since day one was a NON life threatning injury. I am not saying that the young man should not do some time behind this matter but there are people out there who has actually killed and tried to kill with more serious injuries and the penalty has not been that severe. The Officer was grazed on the hip and he also fired gunshots so if the officer had hit the gentleman would he be facing attempted murder chargers.

Posted by officerresourcecom (anonymous) on January 28, 2009 at 12:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    caligirl,
    Are you serious? The injury may not be life threatning, but the action of SHOOTING A FIREARM AT SOMEONE IS LIFE THREATNING DEADLY FORCE. If the officer had hit the "gentleman" [really?] he would be stopping a threat. I will assume that someone that would fire on a law enforcement officer would be willing to use deadly force on others. The difference is that the officer is equipt and trained to end the threat. This story sounds a lot like Officer Mary Smith's last call she responded to. This story just ended with the criminal behind bars, but without the officer paying the ultimate price.

Posted by caligirl200832 (anonymous) on January 28, 2009 at 4:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    U see officerresource, that is the problem with society today. I understand that officers are trained to stop threats but who is trained to stop them? There has been many cases where there has not been a threat on the officer but they choose to be a threat to other citizens so should we look at it through the same eyes when establishing there fate? I just think that everything should be reviewed before you right someone off.

Posted by officerresourcecom (anonymous) on January 28, 2009 at 4:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    Care to share some examples of leos being threats to citizens where they were not prosecuted? How exactly do any of "those" examples have anything to do with this particular case?

Posted by caligirl200832 (anonymous) on January 28, 2009 at 5:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    ok, just like the officer that was given the order to taze the man on the fire escape, the one that gave the order knew he was wrong but was still at work were he ended up killing himself, but what happened to the officer that actually commited the crime. The officer that just shot and killed a guy they already had apprehended, what happened to him? Like I said I am not defending the acts of this gentleman because there is no reason that he should of fired upon the officer and he should be punished but there is a such thing as going to the extreme. Oh, one more incident that came to mind. The officer in california that opened fire on the lady and her son and shot both of them, did it have to go that far?

Posted by officerresourcecom (anonymous) on January 28, 2009 at 6:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)
    Some links to the stories would be helpful. Especially the stories stating that there was no prosecution and/or investigations.

"Like I said I am not defending the acts of this gentleman because there is no reason that he should of fired upon the officer and he should be punished but there is a such thing as going to the extreme."

Who went to the extreme and how so? The fact that you are still referring to this criminal as a gentleman says a lot, by the way.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN COMMENTS

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    some people just don't get it, caligirl200832 is a perfect example of of that and why society is so f'd up. Just hope none of her kind on on the jury

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    some people just don't get it, caligirl200832 is a perfect example of of that and why society is so f'd up. Just hope none of her kind on on the jury

In this county, not likely. It should be noted that Mr. Cotton, the "gentleman" that she keeps referring to is also charged with Burglary 1st (occupied building where the offender is armed) and (big shock) probation violation. $560,000 total bond.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    With a handle like 'caligirl', do you really expect any better?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    With a handle like 'caligirl', do you really expect any better?

Thread Information