Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

This one really bothers me.

Prosecutor: Slain toddler said 'I love you' at end | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | National & World News

Prosecutor: Slain toddler said 'I love you' at end

By Associated Press

GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - Jurors wept Tuesday watching a woman describe how teaching her 2-year-old daughter proper manners turned into a daylong torture session in which the toddler was beaten with belts, dunked in cold water and flung across a room so violently that she died.

Kimberly Trenor, 20, detailed the abuse in a videotaped statement played for jurors during the first day of her capital murder trial.

Trenor, 20, told investigators in the statement that she hit her daughter with a thick leather belt to teach her to say "please" and "yes, sir."

The little victim was dubbed "Baby Grace" by investigators who worked to identify her decomposed remains after the body was found in a plastic container in October 2007 on a tiny island in Galveston Bay.

Trenor's 25-year-old husband, Royce Zeigler II, is to be tried separately on murder charges. His attorney argues that Trenor is responsible for the child's death.

But Trenor insisted it was her husband who became so enraged when the toddler didn't behave better that he hurled her several times across a room, ultimately fracturing her skull and killing her.

"I said we have to get her to a hospital. (Zeigler) said, 'No we can't. We'll go to jail,"' Trenor said in the videotape, crying. "There came a point where she stopped breathing. He started doing CPR on the floor. He took her ... and handed her over to me. I could just feel her going cold."

At the defense table, Trenor's eyes teared up as she watched the videotape on a large screen. Several jurors wiped away tears.

Riley Ann Sawyers tried to stop her mother and stepfather from beating her to death by reaching out to her mother and saying, "I love you," assistant district attorney Kayla Allen told jurors earlier in the day during her opening statement.

The toddler's pleas didn't stop her mother from brutalizing her, the prosecutor said.

Allen said that on July 25, 2007, Trenor and Zeigler disciplined Riley by whipping her with a belt, pushing her head against a pillow and holding her head under water. She said Zeigler tossed Riley across the room, fracturing her skull. An autopsy concluded the fractures caused her death.

Allen said the adults did nothing to help even as Riley lay dying.

Instead, the couple bought a plastic container, stuffed Riley's body inside and stored it in a shed for a month or two before setting it out to sea, the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Tommy Stickler Jr. told the jury that Trenor never intended to kill her daughter and that things just "spun out of control."

Stickler portrayed Trenor as a scared 19-year-old girl who had moved to Texas from Ohio to marry a man she met while playing an online game. She said Riley's father, her former boyfriend, had assaulted her and Zeigler was her "knight in shining armor."

"I don't want to use the word accident, but this wasn't something that was intentional," Stickler said.

Trenor could receive an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder. The jury could also convict her of a lesser charge.

Prosecutors declined to seek the death penalty because they didn't think they could prove that either one would be a future danger, as required.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I dont understand how people can do that to a child. Everytime I read a story like this it just reaffirms my decision to try and get into LE.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I could hardly get through the article. That poor baby.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Prosecutors declined to seek the death penalty because they didn't think they could prove that either one would be a future danger, as required.
    Thus sums up a major problem with our system of (in)justice.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

This really bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Prosecutor: Slain toddler said 'I love you' at end | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | National & World News

Prosecutor: Slain toddler said 'I love you' at end

By Associated Press

GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - Jurors wept Tuesday watching a woman describe how teaching her 2-year-old daughter proper manners turned into a daylong torture session in which the toddler was beaten with belts, dunked in cold water and flung across a room so violently that she died.

Kimberly Trenor, 20, detailed the abuse in a videotaped statement played for jurors during the first day of her capital murder trial.

Trenor, 20, told investigators in the statement that she hit her daughter with a thick leather belt to teach her to say "please" and "yes, sir."

The little victim was dubbed "Baby Grace" by investigators who worked to identify her decomposed remains after the body was found in a plastic container in October 2007 on a tiny island in Galveston Bay.

Trenor's 25-year-old husband, Royce Zeigler II, is to be tried separately on murder charges. His attorney argues that Trenor is responsible for the child's death.

But Trenor insisted it was her husband who became so enraged when the toddler didn't behave better that he hurled her several times across a room, ultimately fracturing her skull and killing her.

"I said we have to get her to a hospital. (Zeigler) said, 'No we can't. We'll go to jail,"' Trenor said in the videotape, crying. "There came a point where she stopped breathing. He started doing CPR on the floor. He took her ... and handed her over to me. I could just feel her going cold."

At the defense table, Trenor's eyes teared up as she watched the videotape on a large screen. Several jurors wiped away tears.

Riley Ann Sawyers tried to stop her mother and stepfather from beating her to death by reaching out to her mother and saying, "I love you," assistant district attorney Kayla Allen told jurors earlier in the day during her opening statement.

The toddler's pleas didn't stop her mother from brutalizing her, the prosecutor said.

Allen said that on July 25, 2007, Trenor and Zeigler disciplined Riley by whipping her with a belt, pushing her head against a pillow and holding her head under water. She said Zeigler tossed Riley across the room, fracturing her skull. An autopsy concluded the fractures caused her death.

Allen said the adults did nothing to help even as Riley lay dying.

Instead, the couple bought a plastic container, stuffed Riley's body inside and stored it in a shed for a month or two before setting it out to sea, the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Tommy Stickler Jr. told the jury that Trenor never intended to kill her daughter and that things just "spun out of control."

Stickler portrayed Trenor as a scared 19-year-old girl who had moved to Texas from Ohio to marry a man she met while playing an online game. She said Riley's father, her former boyfriend, had assaulted her and Zeigler was her "knight in shining armor."

"I don't want to use the word accident, but this wasn't something that was intentional," Stickler said.

Trenor could receive an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder. The jury could also convict her of a lesser charge.

Me too. Cases like that are why I wear a badge.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I can't imagine anyone doing that to a child, much less their own. I'm going to go hug my little one right now (even if he IS sleeping).
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    OMG how horrible....that poor child.

I have absolutely NO sympathy for that woman...crying on the stand is a freakin travesty...it would have been hard not to come across a table or whatever to give her a little of her own discipline. Waste of oxygen.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What a horrible crime. It's strange that any psychopath is allowed to have complete power over biological children while sane, loving parents have to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove they're qualified to foster or adopt children.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    It's more personal to those of us with kids and expecially those of us with kids near or at that age.

Don't forget, the general public and administrators expect you to "suck it up" and keep doing your job, even after dealing with things like this.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What a horrible crime. It's strange that any psychopath is allowed to have complete power over biological children while sane, loving parents have to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove they're qualified to foster or adopt children.
    Sad, and very true.

Honestly, I've never had to deal with a case of child abuse of quite this magnitude. There are not many things in this world that cause me to doubt my control and self-restraint, but I honestly think that if I was the responding officer to a scene like this that had "just occurred", I would honestly contemplate losing my job. I have a huge spot for kids...I'm one of the few people my age I know that's actually excited to have them sometime soon. Is it wrong that I would have an urge to throw these motherfuckers against a wall until their skulls shattered?

This type of story really depresses me about the kind of world we live in. If it isn't throwing your toddler against the wall, then you're pimping out your five year old, or microwaving your infant. Sometimes it's just downright hard not to hate people.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post

Is it wrong that I would have an urge to throw these motherfuckers against a wall until their skulls shattered?
    No. Just don't follow through on the urge. These assholes will probably get off with a couple years in jail and five years probation. You lose your temper and the courts would probably lock you up for 20 years.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sometimes it's just downright hard not to hate people.
    Yep.

I didn't even finish the article. I'd get too pissed off. I fucking hate people.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I couldn't read it either. I spent 7 years working those kinds of cases. No wonder I'm nuts....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Yep.

I didn't even finish the article. I'd get too pissed off. I fucking hate people.
    I'm with you jmur!!!!!
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    There are not many things in this world that cause me to doubt my control and self-restraint, but I honestly think that if I was the responding officer to a scene like this that had "just occurred", I would honestly contemplate losing my job.
    As would I! I would pray that my self restraint would kick in. As good as it would feel to beat the living f out of those POS, I can't help any other kids if I'm sitting in a prison cell.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I just became ill reading this. People like them do not deserve the blessing of being parents, and they deserve what the court can dole out and more.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    It's more personal to those of us with kids and expecially those of us with kids near or at that age.

Don't forget, the general public and administrators expect you to "suck it up" and keep doing your job, even after dealing with things like this.

Believe me you don't have to be a parent to have something like this make you sick.

I couldn't finish the story either.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Believe me you don't have to be a parent to have something like this make you sick.
    No, but morris is right.

Seven years ago this would have made me sick, too.

Now, it knocks me to my knees and fills me with a blind rage.

Two sons made that difference.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It is perhaps ironic, if that's the right word, that the only real justice these two will see may be at the hands of other prisoners.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Thus sums up a major problem with our system of (in)justice.
    Amen brother...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information