Welcome to the APBWeb.
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Jenna please tell us you are safe

Two pitbulls maul flock of sheep in Upper Lake - www.record-bee.com

UPPER LAKE Two pit bulls have until Tuesday to live after mauling a flock of sheep in Upper Lake on Thursday morning unless the dogs' owner claims them, according to Lake County Animal Care and Control Deputy Director Bill Davidson.

George Lolonis, who owns the property where his nephew was grazing the sheep, said he found the two dogs attacking the sheep inside their partially exposed pen when he went outside to feed them at approximately 9 a.m. Lolonis retrieved his shotgun from the house and fired twice into the air to scare the dogs. The dogs ran toward the Robinson Rancheria, which borders Lolonis' property.

"It was probably the goriest thing I've ever seen," said Jim Lolonis, who owns the sheep. "In a sense, thank God it was sheep and not a human being. People walk along the trails and roads there, and if someone had been attacked by those dogs, they would have been killed."

Jim Lolonis said eight pregnant ewes were killed, both on contact and by euthanasia later because they were severely injured. The lambs would have been born in February or March, he said. Lolonis' only ram survived the attack, but was severely injured.

"Sheep are defenseless animals, and they can die just from stress and trauma, so I've got my fingers crossed," Jim Lolonis said.

The purebred Scottish cheviots were raised for both their wool and their meat, according to Jim Lolonis. He estimated their value at $400 each, putting the value of the sheep found dead on the ground

in their pen at $5,000. Thad does not count the value of the unborn lambs, which was still being counted Friday.
    Davidson said Animal Care and Control officer Eric Wood spoke with tribal officers on the rancheria but was unable to find the dogs' owner. Davidson said someone from the rancheria found and turned over to Animal Care and Control the tan-colored male pit bull and then the tan-and-white female.

George Lolonis identified the dogs, noting that the male was covered with blood, but the female appeared to have been cleaned before she was turned over to Animal Care and Control.

Davidson said what typically happens when vicious animals are caught is that the owners don't come forward to claim the animals because they can be required to pay for damages. Davidson said if the dogs' owner does not come forward, Jim Lolonis can apply for state funds to partially reimburse the lost value of his livestock.

"It's an unfortunate situation, and I'm glad we were able to get ahold of the dogs, because for a while I thought we weren't going to. This was our first serious contact with the reservation out there, and the tribal officers were very helpful with providing information," Davidson said.

Contact Tiffany Revelle at trevelle@record-bee.com, or call her directly at 263-5636 ext. 37.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    If it had been me, those would be two dead pit bulls after I emptied the shotgun on them, even if I killed a couple of more sheep.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    If it had been me, those would be two dead pit bulls after I emptied the shotgun on them, even if I killed a couple of more sheep.
    Me also
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Dont blame the dogs...blame the owner..that is who I'd chase with the shotgun.

(disclaimer...I would save the sheep from the dogs first)
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    "Sheep are defenseless animals, and they can die just from stress and trauma

Amazing that two pit bulls can kill 8 sheep. Why would they want to do that anyway? They can't eat more than one sheep per day. I guess they were hunting for sport and not for food.

Don't worry, I'm safe for now. Thanks to the sheepdogs who protect me.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Jenna, glad to hear your safe. I believe if I'm not mistaken that pit bulls don't necessarily kill for food, it is bred in them to kill period. That is what makes them so unpredictable. It isn't always how they are raised although that can be a factor. I knew someone who had a pit bull that attacked someone he had been around all his life for no apparent reason. The owner had him put down within a half hour of the attack.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Jenna, glad to hear your safe. I believe if I'm not mistaken that pit bulls don't necessarily kill for food, it is bred in them to kill period. That is what makes them so unpredictable. It isn't always how they are raised although that can be a factor. I knew someone who had a pit bull that attacked someone he had been around all his life for no apparent reason. The owner had him put down within a half hour of the attack.
    Dont blame a breed for a few dog's actions....as a breed Pits are wonderful family dogs. Most of the problems occur with the raising of dogs in general...the inability for people to raise the dogs in an environment that fosters socialization, discipline, exercise and love. I worked in veterinary medicine for over 10 years...only once did I ever have a pit that was liable to bite and tried. Most of the biters were chihuahuas (the most feared dog in vet medicine! LOL). The vet I worked with dealt with all the very aggressive dogs that no other vet in the county would see as they were so damn difficult to handle (lucky me! )

The problem is that you only hear about the big breeds and thier bite statisitics because they can cause more damage when they bite.

My disclaimer is that I do believe just like people..there are a few dogs (NOT breed specific) that are born with a few brain cells missing and/or misfiring that cause them to be aggressive or unpredictable no matter how they are raised. Although I will say that in most cases "no apparent reason" is either because of clues that were given by the dog and not noticed by the person or the reason made sense to the dog (meaning that to the dog..he had a reason to bite...doesnt have to make sense to a human...know what I mean).

Now off my breed ban soapbox...lol..(sorry Mack! you know I adore you! )

PS Jenna...good to know you are safe.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information