Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Kalama, WA cop in deep doo-doo to rescue dog from sewer tank

The Daily News Online > Area News > Kalama cop digs deep to rescue dog from sewer tank

Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:00 AM PST
    By Amy M.E. Fischer

A Kalama police officer soiled his uniform rescuing a stray dog from drowning in tank of sewage at the city’s sewage treatment plant Tuesday when the water-loving pup dove in for a swim.

No one was hurt, but both parties required extensive bathing afterward, said Kalama Police Chief Bruce Hall.

“The officer did his duty in someone else’s doody,” Hall cracked Tuesday evening.

Kalama police officer Jeff Skeie on Wednesday looks over the wall into a sewage treatment pond from
    which he rescued a stray dog Tuesday. Next to him is Sadie, a Labrador Retriever who had the sense
    not to follow the other dog into the 145,000-gallon tank of bio-solids.
    Bill Wagner / The Daily News

Tuesday afternoon, Officer Jeff Skeie (pronounced “Shay-ah”) was on kennel-cleaning duty at the city’s small animal shelter. Skeie, a former Castle Rock city councilman who has been with the Kalama police force three years, allowed two dogs out of their pens into the fenced yard to exercise and play together.

One of the dogs was a young, energetic chocolate Labrador retriever police had picked up as a stray about two weeks earlier. The Lab was scheduled to be adopted out that afternoon.

Skeie, strolling the fenced area with that dog and another Lab named Sadie, noticed that the sewage level in the treatment plant’s sewage digester seemed higher than usual.

He walked over to investigate.

The digester is a large, rectangular tank of about 12- to 15-feet deep in which city residents’ solid waste is collected and treated. In the digester, bio-solids are given time for micro-organisms to eat any “food” (waste) before further treatment. Tuesday, the digester was at full capacity, according to the city’s waste waster treatment plant operator.

Standing on her hind legs, Sadie put her paws on the 4-foot-high concrete wall and peered over at the pool of sewage 2 feet below, the 45-year-old police officer recounted Wednesday.

The chocolate Lab bounded up the steps leading to the digester. Skeie hollered at him to stop, but the dog flung himself joyfully into the brown soup “just like any dog jumping into a swimming pool,” the officer said.

The dog started paddling, but because the tank is pumped with air bubbles, he wasn’t buoyant. Only his head and front paws were visible as he struggled to swim in the foamy liquid.

Skeie leaned over the wall on his stomach and managed to grab the sinking dog’s ear. He pulled the dog to the wall and hauled him out by the scruff of the neck, smearing “bio-solids” all over the sleeves of his uniform.

Then the wet dog shook himself vigorously, spraying Skeie head to toe in liquid sewage.

“It doesn’t taste that good, either,” said the good-natured Skeie, who, fortunately, is up-to-date on his hepatitis vaccines.

The not-so-sweet smelling officer gave himself and the dog a quick rinse at the outdoor faucet before going home for a long shower. About an hour later, the stray dog’s new adoptive owner, Gretchen Procop, arrived to take the chocolate Lab home.

She named him “Hershey.”

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Oh man....that guy has a medal coming. One of my motor cops jumped into a farm poop pool used to fertilize the silage they grow each year for the dairy cows. The pool is about 150 feet square and about 8 feet deep. A visitor to the farm got on the wrong road and crashed into the pool. The motor officer shed his gunbelt and jumped in to rescue the mom and a small child. He got the Medal of Valor for that one and he had it coming.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As Ofc. Skeie has demonstrated, sometimes it's just not easy being the poolice. Good job, sir.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Nice save!

Yeah, I got nothing pun wise.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Skeie is hoping to get a pay raise out of this. That way he can afford to get rid of his extra shit job.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I like this part:

Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Then the wet dog shook himself vigorously, spraying Skeie head to toe in liquid sewage.

“It doesn’t taste that good, either,” said the good-natured Skeie, who, fortunately, is up-to-date on his hepatitis vaccines.

The not-so-sweet smelling officer gave himself and the dog a quick rinse at the outdoor faucet before going home for a long shower.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Yuck, One Sinking, stinking dog of job, Well Done!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Great job! Hate off to you sir!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Oh man....that guy has a medal coming. One of my motor cops jumped into a farm poop pool used to fertilize the silage they grow each year for the dairy cows. The pool is about 150 feet square and about 8 feet deep. A visitor to the farm got on the wrong road and crashed into the pool. The motor officer shed his gunbelt and jumped in to rescue the mom and a small child. He got the Medal of Valor for that one and he had it coming.

Car 4
    You guys in Washington sure know how to "hide" your sewage. When I visted my sister the first time we drive by what looked to me like a beautiful "lake" on the side of the highway coming back from Seatac. I said to my sister and brother in law...wow..that is just gorgeous. My brother in law stated laughing like crazy and told me the "lakes" were actually sewage treatment areas or some such nonsense. So now everytime I visit they ask me if it is pretty on the way home from the airport. lol You guys sure do have a gorgeous state though. Lovely.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information