Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Buffalo Wing Sauce Spill Dispatches Haz-Mat Team, Threatens Superbowl Party

That must be some spicy sauce to need the Haz-Mat team

Video: Massive Buffalo wing sauce spill shuts down Fairfield street - NewsTimes.com

Video: Massive Buffalo wing sauce spill shuts down Fairfield street

By GENEVIEVE REILLY
    Staff writer
    Updated: 01/26/2009 07:49:08 PM EST

A massive ()spill of Buffalo chicken wing sauce shut
    down a Fairfield road in front of the famous Archie Moore's
    restaurant Monday.

FAIRFIELD - Nobody was able to cross the road Monday afternoon in front of Archie Moore's restaurant after 200 gallons of chicken wing sauce spilled onto Sanford Street. The street was closed several hours after the 1:30 p.m. spill as the state Haz-mat team was dispatched to the scene.

Chicken wings are a signature item on the restaurant's menu and four large barrels of sauce for the spicy concoction were being delivered by Estes Express Line. As the truck driver was pushing a barrel toward the open truck door, it tipped over and spilled into the street, right in front of the restaurant.

"There's sauce everywhere," Perez said. "It's halfway across the street."
    He said firefighters put a drying agent on the street's surface to keep the sauce from spreading as officials waited for the Haz-mat squad to arrive.

By late afternoon, the trucking company hired a cleaning crew to help with the mop up, but grease in the sauce combined with the cold made the operation difficult, said Dennis Schain, spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

Meanwhile, four patrons of Saint Tropez restaurant, next to Archie Moore's, couldn't get to their car, which was engulfed by sauce, Perez said. They asked Archie Moore's to pay for a car wash, but were referred to Estes Express Line.

"The trucking company was going to pay to have their car cleaned," said Mary Fleming, an employee at Archie Moore's, "so when I went back out to tell them that, they told me [Saint Tropez] had already given them the money."

Fleming said the restaurant's manager began making phone calls soon after the mishap to order more sauce. "That was four barrels we just lost," Fleming said. "We would need all of that sauce for Super Bowl Sunday."

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What a waste. I like to DROWN my wings in buffalo sauce. My mouth is salivating just thinking about it now
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I'm not sure I'd want to eat their wings if they need a haz-mat team to clean up the sauce. Imagine what that would do to your stomach...
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want to eat their wings if they need a haz-mat team to clean up the sauce. Imagine what that would do to your stomach...
    Sounds like an endorsement to me!

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Yep I can see it now...............our sauce is so HOT we need a Haz Mat team to clean it up. Come on down for your free haz mat coupon.................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I bet that was a "sticky" situation!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Anyone think this whole thing was a publicity stunt? There's no reason for a haz-mat team to be called in when they know the substance inside the barrel, and know that it's not hazardous. Who called in the haz-mat team anyway? That would be nice to know.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Too bad they didn't have a wing spill at the same time.

Maybe they called a haz-mat team because they were afraid the vinegar fumes would be toxic.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You should really call a hazmat team for any substance that doesn't belong in, on, or under the ground that leaks or spills out. We had a tanker truck overturn a few years ago and leaked about 200 gallons of milk. The hazmat team was called for that because the milk was leaking down a storm drain, which drains into the Mississippi River. That amount of milk ould cause a fish kill, or other damage to the animals in the water, or the water itself. Same could be true for buffalo sauce.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    You should really call a hazmat team for any substance that doesn't belong in, on, or under the ground that leaks or spills out. We had a tanker truck overturn a few years ago and leaked about 200 gallons of milk. The hazmat team was called for that because the milk was leaking down a storm drain, which drains into the Mississippi River. That amount of milk ould cause a fish kill, or other damage to the animals in the water, or the water itself. Same could be true for buffalo sauce.
    Exactly. Not to mention that sauce is probably caustic. A restaurant I knew of wouldn't leave spoons in it over night because of corrosion. Also in that amount it could create an irritating fume cloud that would affect customers at nearby businesses.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Exactly. Not to mention that sauce is probably caustic. A restaurant I knew of wouldn't leave spoons in it over night because of corrosion. Also in that amount it could create an irritating fume cloud that would affect customers at nearby businesses.
    That's very true.

It's probably not caustic, just mildly acidic. And that either comes from natural apple cider viniger or diluted acedic acid. I bet the worms & bacteria in the ground and water would devour that stuff in just a couple of weeks.

Of course the sugar and peppers in it are also quickly biodegradable, so I don't see why the fire department didn't just wash it down the sewer. The only thing in it that might be a problem is salt.

(\__/)

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I think you've got the reason for the hazmat involvement right there, along with the sheer volume. You got literally gallons and gallons of pepper juice, butter, etc. being flushed into the storm drains if you just wash it away. I could see that being a problem...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    HHhhmmm...the hotter the better....my stomach is like a steel drum...handle all sorts of stuff and stay happy.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    It's probably not caustic, just mildly acidic. And that either comes from natural apple cider viniger or diluted acedic acid. I bet the worms & bacteria in the ground and water would devour that stuff in just a couple of weeks.

Of course the sugar and peppers in it are also quickly biodegradable, so I don't see why the fire department didn't just wash it down the sewer. The only thing in it that might be a problem is salt.

Here's the deal Chuck. Peppers, butter, pepper juice, vinegar, salt, sugar, etc...none of that belongs in sewer drains. 200 gallons of that liquid won't be stopped by a filter or grate, it will wash right into the sewer system. Assuming it would go into a storm drain system, it will likely dump into a natural reservoir. Here, our storm drains dump into the Mississippi, with several grates along the way to stop any debris pieces (trash or whatever else may have washed into the sewer). Hot sauce isn't going to be stopped by a grate. It's going to flow right through the sewer into a lake, or ditch, or drainage area of some sort. Depending on what that water source it, it could cause fish kills, injure or kill animals, or even people.

At that point, or even before that point, it could soak into the ground. Do you have any idea what runs under ground?? I don't know jack about what is underground, but all of those "Call before you dig" commercials lead me to believe there are pipes, telephone lines, electrical lines, cable lines, etc, etc, etc down there. I don't want 200 gallons hot sauce absorbing into the ground above the pipes that take the shit and piss from my house. Or my electrical lines. It doesn't belong there and it can cause damage.

Also, consider all of the animals running around that could get into 200 gallons of hot sauce. Gophers, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, bajillions of different bugs, foxes, birds, etc, etc, etc would all surely die or become very sick from ingesting that, OR, eating another animal, or the carcass of an animal that ingested it.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather just be safe than sorry. I think you should probably leave the haz mat incidents to the professionals. I'm going to go off of my own experience dealing with haz mat incidents as a firefighter and a cop, and say they did the right thing in handling the incident and leave it at that.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    All this makes me really not want to eat buffalo wing sauce.

So a pepper farmer who gets a freeze kill should call HazMat before he plows under his crop?

(\__/)

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    So a pepper farmer who gets a freeze kill should call HazMat before he plows under his crop?
    A pepper in a field is different than 200 gallons of buffalo wing sauce in an urban area.

That's like comparing tomatoes and ketchup. Similar, but not the same.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's the deal Chuck. Peppers, butter, pepper juice, vinegar, salt, sugar, etc...none of that belongs in sewer drains. 200 gallons of that liquid won't be stopped by a filter or grate, it will wash right into the sewer system. Assuming it would go into a storm drain system, it will likely dump into a natural reservoir. Here, our storm drains dump into the Mississippi, with several grates along the way to stop any debris pieces (trash or whatever else may have washed into the sewer). Hot sauce isn't going to be stopped by a grate. It's going to flow right through the sewer into a lake, or ditch, or drainage area of some sort. Depending on what that water source it, it could cause fish kills, injure or kill animals, or even people.

At that point, or even before that point, it could soak into the ground. Do you have any idea what runs under ground?? I don't know jack about what is underground, but all of those "Call before you dig" commercials lead me to believe there are pipes, telephone lines, electrical lines, cable lines, etc, etc, etc down there. I don't want 200 gallons hot sauce absorbing into the ground above the pipes that take the shit and piss from my house. Or my electrical lines. It doesn't belong there and it can cause damage.

Also, consider all of the animals running around that could get into 200 gallons of hot sauce. Gophers, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, bajillions of different bugs, foxes, birds, etc, etc, etc would all surely die or become very sick from ingesting that, OR, eating another animal, or the carcass of an animal that ingested it.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather just be safe than sorry. I think you should probably leave the haz mat incidents to the professionals. I'm going to go off of my own experience dealing with haz mat incidents as a firefighter and a cop, and say they did the right thing in handling the incident and leave it at that.
    +1

In my hosedragger experience we broke out the dams and absorbent pads on anything that wasn't organic. Very well put, reps inbound.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Most of the popular 'hot' varieties of buffalo wing sauce use a margarine and cayenne pepper base.

I can demonstrate the irritating properties of cayenne pepper for you if you'd like, Chuckie...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-05-09, 07:56 PM

Thread Information