Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Man Attempts to Carjack Dallas Police Sergeant - While in Full Uniform in His Squad Car. Guess Who Won.

Dallas officer faces down suspect who demanded gun | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Dallas officer faces down suspect who demanded gun

12:00 AM CST on Tuesday, February 3, 2009
    By SCOTT GOLDSTEIN / The Dallas Morning News
    sgoldstein@dallasnews.com

Yanking open the passenger door of a marked Dallas police squad car, an unarmed 18-year-old man on a carjacking spree ordered the veteran sergeant inside to hand over the keys and his gun, police said.

"This is the day I die," John Lewis Johnson told Sgt. Charles Young, according to police documents. "Give me your keys."

Young, 49, did not comply with the demands. He instead chased down and arrested the man Saturday afternoon in West Dallas, police said.

Johnson of Dallas faces four counts of robbery and one count of retaliation. He was being held Monday at the Dallas County Jail on $25,000 bond.

The events that led to his arrest began in the 5500 block of Bernal Drive, near Loop 12, where Johnson is suspected of trying to carjack a 28-year-old woman, according to police documents.

The woman fought him off, but police said the crime spree continued. Johnson is accused of attempting to carjack two other people and trying to steal a car from a nearby dealership, police said.

Someone called 911, and Young was directed to the 2800 block of Iroquois Drive, where the confrontation with Johnson unfolded.

After Johnson opened the police car door, the 29-year veteran officer grabbed his right arm to keep him from getting the keys, according to police documents. Young turned off the car and got out to arrest Johnson, who put up his fists and repeated, "This is the day I die."

Johnson ran, and Young gave chase, arresting him nearby.

The officer declined to be interviewed Monday, but his boss praised him.

"Needless to say, you just don't find this every day where a suspect comes up to an officer in a marked squad car and says, 'Give me your keys, give me your car, give me your gun,' " said Deputy Chief Rick Watson, commander of the southwest patrol division.

"When you look at him trying to take three different cars from three different citizens basically trying to fight them to get their cars that's a good arrest."

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Victim fail.

Apparently the young man wasnt using the ole noggin in the whole car jacking spree....It looks like he failed more than once. LOL A marked unit? What a tool. Too much meth. lol
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Even though obviously stupid, high, or just plain nuts you have to give him this- he has a big set of brass ones.
    Good job for the officer.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Felony stupid.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

213th is offline Solipsist
    That's awesome! Even better that the 18y/o couldn't out run someone near 50 My old sgt used to say age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time or something like that
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    That's awesome! Even better that the 18y/o couldn't out run someone near 50 My old sgt used to say age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time or something like that
    Experience and treachery , 213th.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    I have to admit. When I go through scenarios in my mind, getting carjacked in a marked squad was never one of them.

As a sidenote, have you ever tried drawing your gun while seatbelted in your squad? An officer at my department had to shoot someone who wanted to commit suicide by cop. The suspect did a 911 hang up in the middle of the night. When the officer was rolling slowly down the street blacked out in his squad the suspect dashed out from a hiding place, opened the squad door and threatened the officer with a knife. Officer drew his gun, shot him once center mass, and then accelerated away all while seatbelted.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Cops View Post
    As a sidenote, have you ever tried drawing your gun while seatbelted in your squad? An officer at my department had to shoot someone who wanted to commit suicide by cop. The suspect did a 911 hang up in the middle of the night. When the officer was rolling slowly down the street blacked out in his squad the suspect dashed out from a hiding place, opened the squad door and threatened the officer with a knife. Officer drew his gun, shot him once center mass, and then accelerated away all while seatbelted.
    If that happened on my department, they'd write up the officer for shooting from a moving police vehicle.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    If that happened on my department, they'd write up the officer for shooting from a moving police vehicle.
    +2. Same here.

I hate to second guess, since it turned out good, but I would think you'd pull off first. Especially if the car is already in drive.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Can you say DUHHHH

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Thats polluting the enviroment. I'm shocked jenna
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This has got to be one of the worst cases of stupidity from a suspect that I have heard of in quite a while.

The only question I have is this. Why was the officer driving the vehicle with the doors unlocked? Though it may have only slowed the twerp down and not allowed him access to an opened car, it could have allowed the officer more time to take evasive action. Most if not all of today's cars allow the inside door release to override the locking mechanism if needed for the vehicle operator to get out quickly, but the door would still be locked from the outside thus preventing normal access. Seems that I remember that I was always cautioned to lock my doors once in the car and driving so that this kind of problem can be prevented.

Though, who in their right mind would even attempt to carjack a marked unit with a uniformed driver. Someone needs to be locked up in a padded room for a while. Did he actually think that the officer would comply with his desires?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Thats polluting the enviroment. I'm shocked jenna
    Blame the unloader of Fail, not the one who showed you the picture!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post

After Johnson opened the police car door, the 29-year veteran officer grabbed his right arm to keep him from getting the keys, according to police documents. Recorded dispatch shows that the veteran then closed the door and radioed that he would be en route to the jail with one prisoner.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information