Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Police shooting in St. Paul leaves one suspect dead

A man is dead after police shot him as he drove a stolen car toward officers at a traffic stop in north Minneapolis early Thursday.
    Police said two squad cars had pulled a car over on a routine traffic stop and were parked in the street. Around the same time, another squad car was following the stolen vehicle, driven by 23-year-old Ahmed Mohammed Guled.

"As the car was coming down it was coming so fast," said witness Kelvin Ewing, who was in the back of a squad car that belonged to one of the officers involved in the incident. "I was telling myself, 'Should I get out or should I just sit in the car?"

"I heard on the intercom, 'We're behind a stolen car and it's coming down Broadway about to turn on Morgan.' I thought about it and thought God, I'm on Morgan," witness Demarcus Washington told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS.
    Police said Guled, of St. Paul, sped up and aimed the stolen car at officers in the street. Officers shot at the driver to stop him. The suspect died at the scene. The medical examiner said Guled died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Ewing told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS he heard the officers shouting for the suspect to stop several times before they opened fire. However, Washington said he didn't agree with their response.
    "It's ridiculous. Why did they have to do that? They could have shot out his tires or something like that," he said.
    "The vehicle is a weapon. You can use it as a weapon," explained Sgt. Jesse Garcia.

No one else was hurt, but it's left the neighborhood around Morgan Avenue North shaken.
    "If a police officer is telling you to stop, stop. He didn't have to die," said Brandon Williams who lives near the scene.

Six officers are on standard paid administrative leave after the shooting--three officers who were involved and three who witnessed it.
    According to court documents, Guled had appeared in Hennepin County court just last week for trespassing. They also show he had a lengthy criminal record, dating back to 2004 for a variety of offenses including robbery, drug possession, and giving police false information.

KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul - Man killed in MPD-involved shooting identified

No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good for the officers for making it home after their shift. I think the one witness said it best. "if the officers tell you to stop, stop". How many of these shooting can be avoided if people simply do what they are told?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Good job officers!
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I talked with a buddy of mine that was working that night and he said the dude's head was half blown away. He said he was down at jail when it happened, so he was pissed he missed out on the action.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information