Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

"Gut Instincts" are Subconscious Memories - Study.

Interesting...

Study Suggests Why Gut Instincts Work

Sometimes when you think you're guessing, your brain may actually know better.

After conducting some unique memory and recognition tests, while also recording subjects' brain waves, scientists conclude that some gut feelings are not just guesswork after all. Rather, we access memories we aren't even aware we have.

"We may actually know more than we think we know in everyday situations, too," said Ken Paller, professor of psychology at Northwestern University and co-researcher on the study. "Unconscious memory may come into play, for example, in recognizing the face of a perpetrator of a crime or the correct answer on a test. Or the choice from a horde of consumer products may be driven by memories that are quite alive on an unconscious level."

The findings were published online Sunday in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

The research, done with only a couple dozen participants, adds to a growing body of conflicting evidence about decision-making. In one study done in 2007, researchers found that quick decisions were better than those given lots of thought. But a study last year suggested neither snap judgments nor "sleeping on it" trump good old-fashioned conscious thought.

The new study

During the first part of the memory test in the new study, participants were shown a series of colorful kaleidoscope images that flashed on a computer screen. Half of the images were viewed with full attention as participants tried to memorize them. While viewing the other half, the participants were distracted: They heard a spoken number that they had to keep in mind until the next trial, when they indicated whether it was odd or even.

In other words, they could focus on memorizing half of the images but were greatly distracted from memorizing the others.

A bit later, they viewed pairs of similar kaleidoscope images in a recognition test.

"Remarkably, people were more accurate in selecting the old image when they had been distracted than when they had paid full attention," Paller said. "They also were more accurate when they claimed to be guessing than when they registered some familiarity for the image."

Splitting attention during a memory test usually makes memory worse.

"But our research showed that even when people weren't paying as much attention, their visual system was storing information quite well," Paller said.

The brain's role

During the tests, electrical signals in the brain were recorded from a set of electrodes placed on each person's head. The brain waves during implicit recognition were distinct from those associated with conscious memory experiences. A unique signal of implicit recognition was seen a quarter of a second after study participants saw each old image.

Other related research has shown that amnesia victims with severe memory problems often have strong implicit memories, Paller and his colleague, Joel L. Voss of the Beckman Institute, said in a statement.

"Intuition may have an important role in finding answers to all sorts of problems in everyday life," Paller said.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    So, if I tell my wife I wasn't really paying attention to her...I might remember what she said BETTER!
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by deputysykes View Post
    So, if I tell my wife I wasn't really paying attention to her...I might remember what she said BETTER!
    If you tell your wife you weren't really paying attention to her.........you might not remember anything until you regain consciousness.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. Half of the book is about trusting your gut instinct, and why it's accurate.

Great, great book for cops to read.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I can believe gut instinct is actually memory. My "gut instinct" seems to have developed greatly with time which could be explained by more experience/memories being responsible for the enhanced "gut instinct". I also notice more action taken on instinct by more senior officers.

I do, however, believe that some people have more intuition than others, regardless of memories.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    If you tell your wife you weren't really paying attention to her.........you might not remember anything until you regain consciousness.
    You're right. Telling her I wasn't paying attention was an idea I thought of. I should go with my gut instinct and continue not paying attention and admit nothing.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. Half of the book is about trusting your gut instinct, and why it's accurate.

Great, great book for cops to read.
    I bought it, read it, and gave it to my sisters to read.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I do, however, believe that some people have more intuition than others, regardless of memories.

So do I, and I can't reconcile it with levels of experience needed to develop memories.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information