Supporting Member Lvl 2

Well, this is interesting

The ajc.com is reporting...

Clayton deputies’ personal information, files compromised
    Sheriff’s employee suspected of copying, distributing documents
    By MEGAN MATTEUCCI

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 13, 2009

Clayton County Sheriff Kem Kimbrough is investigating a security breach after some deputies’ personal information was taken from internal files.

The records include Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers, dates of birth, phone numbers, employee identification numbers and an inmate’s medical information. Some internal investigation files have also turned up missing.

Clayton County news Kimbrough said he suspects a sheriff’s department employee illegally entered the Office of Professional Standards, copied the deputies’ internal records and distributed the information. Some other documents were taken from the office. The investigation could result in criminal charges.

“These internal files were obtained illegally,” Kimbrough said. “It’s against department policy for employees to copy internal affairs files, and it is a violation of Georgia law to compromise personal information.”

The information, which was included in several internal investigations, was anonymously sent to the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Council, which certifies all law enforcement officers in the state, and to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The new sheriff said he has since changed the locks throughout the sheriff’s complex.

In addition to finding the records missing, Kimbrough also has discovered weapons, keys and other equipment missing since taking office on Jan. 1.

Deputies from Henry County and other area sheriff’s departments are working with Kimbrough’s team to review all personnel files to make sure there are no other problems.

Kimbrough did not know how long the investigation would take to complete. It comes as the new sheriff is conducting a personnel audit.

On his first day, Kimbrough fired 14 probationary deputies. The fired employees all had criminal records, were not certified or had disciplinary problems, he said.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Wow.

Cleanin' house.

Good for him, hopefully he can make some positive changes for his department.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Good grief. Our personnel files require two people to remove them for anything. The professional standards are even more difficult to get to. Maybe the sheriff should invest in some decent locks and not give every employee a friggin' key to every damn door and filing cabinet in the building.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Good grief. Our personnel files require two people to remove them for anything. The professional standards are even more difficult to get to. Maybe the sheriff should invest in some decent locks and not give every employee a friggin' key to every damn door and filing cabinet in the building.
    The previous criminal sheriff left that place in tatters. The poor new guy has had his hands full running around cleaning up the messes...
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fire everyone and hire from the top down.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The previous criminal sheriff left that place in tatters. The poor new guy has had his hands full running around cleaning up the messes...
    Norm has posted about the old sheriff. But the first thing I would have done would have been to change locks if I was replacing someone like him. That's like changing your locks after a divorce or a bad roommate, just common sense, I think.

But you have to trust your employer to take care of your personal information, too much is at stake with what they have in your personal files. When they don't do it, people have a right to be righteously pissed, bad previous sheriff or not.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    When Hill left, an inventory turned up a bunch of missing keys and weapons. The entire S.O. and jail has now been rekeyed. This is going to turn out very badly for Hill and whatever flunkie of his that did this.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    When Hill left, an inventory turned up a bunch of missing keys and weapons.
    Which, IMO is God's way of tellling you to change the locks immediately. Sorta like when your ex moves out and doesn't give you their key...... It's not like this was a normal transition from one sheriff to another.

Thread Information