Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

NYPD gets hybrid patrol cars

Getting Cuffed Just Got Greener | NBC New York

Getting Cuffed Just Got Greener The NYPD will soon use a new fleet of hybrid cars on patrol

By CAITLIN MILLAT
    Updated 12:30 PM EST, Sun, Feb 15, 2009

The NYPD is testing new hybrid cars it could potentially put on patrol in place of its current gas-guzzlers.

Arrested? Look on the bright side. Your carbon footprint is now a little smaller.

The NYPD will soon unveil a new fleet of hybrid cars it's testing for full-time use on patrol, the New York Post reported.

Forty environmentally-friendly 2009 Nissan Altimas -- fuel-efficient hybrids that get more bank for their gas bucks -- will hit city streets in the next two weeks as part of the NYPD's new "green" initiative.

The men in blue already use some hybrid cars on the force, but this marks the first time the green cars will be used on patrol, the Post reports.

The Nissan Altimas drive a reported 35 miles per gallon, doubling the 16 to 18 miles per gallon the current fleet of Chevy Impalas and Ford Crown Victorias get.

The city has spent a reported $1.1 million on the cars, which the NYPD will test to see if they work on the police beat.

"We won't know whether they are suitable for wider use until they are subjected to the NYPD's demanding environment, which includes virtual 24-hour-a-day operation by multiple drivers," NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told the Post.

Eighteen of the new hybrids will be used as marked patrol cars and will run the city an approximate $30,000 per car, the Post reports. The 20 unmarked Altimas cost more than $25,000 each and the 2 cars disguised as yellow cabs tallied a $28,600 cost per car.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    What's impressive to me about this story is that NYPD just spent more than my departments entire budget to test out some cars.

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    The Green initiative, smaller carbon footprint, greenhouse gases, global warming crap is getting out of control. It was an altruistic initiative that has grown because there is so much money involved in green theories. Although I agree I would like better air in big cities, and spend less on gas that can double in price over nite, I still think this environmental hoo ya is another way for hippies try to generate money for themselves. There are billions of dollars involved here. It has become the latest religion that worships nature.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    If they could develop a hybrid car that would work well enough to be a police car, I say great.... Not so much for the carbon footprint, but the savings to tax payers in gasoline costs.

In my old city of employment, we used to drive under 30 - 35 mph unless we were going after someone or on a hot call. And that's the speeds that hybrids run on batteries. And our gas bill is out of sight. It would be nice to have that money to spend on other things.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The problem happens when the batteries, being short cycled on a typical patrol shift, have to be replaced frequently and often.

It's an environmental nightmare, while supposedly reducing "carbon."

Ahem. We are carbon based life forms on a carbon based planet. Pffft.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Carbon schmarbon. I'm all for saving money on gas, but if the car is $10,000 per copy more than a vic, how much are you really saving in the long run . . . . especially if you have to drop whatever it costs for the battery if it goes TU? Also - are there any aftermarket accessories for the nissan? Cages, radio consoles, etc? If not - more expensive. Do they have to retrain their city maintanence fleet? If so - more expensive. Are repair parts cheaper? I bet not.

It'd be nice to see if in the lifespan of the vehicle if there is any actual cost savings. But, hey - it makes the hippies happy, right?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff262 View Post
    Although I agree I would like better air in big cities, and spend less on gas that can double in price over nite, I still think this environmental hoo ya is another way for hippies try to generate money for themselves.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm in a foul mood to speak of environmentalists.

What genius lowered the toilet flush standard so that you have to flush five times to make the toilet work, thus negating the savings?
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    If they could develop a hybrid car that would work well enough to be a police car, I say great.... Not so much for the carbon footprint, but the savings to tax payers in gasoline costs.

In my old city of employment, we used to drive under 30 - 35 mph unless we were going after someone or on a hot call. And that's the speeds that hybrids run on batteries. And our gas bill is out of sight. It would be nice to have that money to spend on other things.
    In one sense, Patrol is an ideal environment for some sort of hybrid. As you say, lots of time spent driving slowly or idling. The catch is that when Patrol needs get up & go... they need it! Pair a full size engine with a hybrid somehow, and a small enough battery pack that it doesn't take up half the car, and they've got something useful. Hell, add a couple solar panels on the roof to charge the battery when the cop's just sitting out there... Of course, with all the electronics in cruisers today (radios, computers, etc.), they need something that'll have enough juice and life in the battery that the hybrid side of it isn't all but negated by the need to run the car to power that stuff...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    In one sense, Patrol is an ideal environment for some sort of hybrid. As you say, lots of time spent driving slowly or idling. The catch is that when Patrol needs get up & go... they need it! Pair a full size engine with a hybrid somehow, and a small enough battery pack that it doesn't take up half the car, and they've got something useful. Hell, add a couple solar panels on the roof to charge the battery when the cop's just sitting out there... Of course, with all the electronics in cruisers today (radios, computers, etc.), they need something that'll have enough juice and life in the battery that the hybrid side of it isn't all but negated by the need to run the car to power that stuff...
    Which is why I said, if one could be developed for patrol. Certainly one off the production line isn't going to work. But now, they could be used for non patrol purposes. Hell, I drove a little compact as a detective and it served me fine. There's little or no reason a detective should be driving a gas guzzler. I just needed to get from one place to another and a 4 door to transport now and then.

I suspect if someone gets serious about it, they can come up with one suitable for patrol. But the problem is cops as a group don't care much for change...... Seen a lot of that over the years.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Those cars would not last if used for regular patrol, sector cars in the city run 24/7 and get the crap beat out of them. For those green vehicles that go to precincts, they will be used first as the supervisors vehicle then handed down to a precinct detail vehicle, ie school car, conditions/CPOP or DVU. Hard enough maintaining regular cars never mind the hybrids, how many times did you turn out after roll call, inspect your vehicle and find it had an empty tank, imagine going to the desk and telling the boss I have to wait for the battery to charge. Will happen!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    Those cars would not last if used for regular patrol, sector cars in the city run 24/7 and get the crap beat out of them. For those green vehicles that go to precincts, they will be used first as the supervisors vehicle then handed down to a precinct detail vehicle, ie school car, conditions/CPOP or DVU. Hard enough maintaining regular cars never mind the hybrids, how many times did you turn out after roll call, inspect your vehicle and find it had an empty tank, imagine going to the desk and telling the boss I have to wait for the battery to charge. Will happen!
    LMAO... the thought crossed my mind too!!!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Found this, passing on..

For those curious about the specs of the car:
    * 2.5-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine, 158 horsepower, 162 pound-feet of torque
    * 40 horsepower electric assist motor, 199 pound-feet of torque
    * EPA rating: 35 mpg in the city, 33 mpg on the highway
    * It is made in Tennessee

Aren't Crown Vics made in Canada?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Found this, passing on..

* 2.5-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine, 158 horsepower, 162 pound-feet of torque

And Mexico, sure.

Where does the money go?

Don't derail this for NAFTA.
    I'm your huckleberry...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Found this, passing on..

35 mpg doesn't sound all that impressive, really. That's less than what a gas-powered Toyota Corolla gets on the highway, although the city mileage is better, The horsepower is close. The hybrid actually has more torque, but I guess that's negated by the heavy batteries.

But the bottom line is that no police department I know of uses anything like a Corolla - Just about ANYTHING can outrun them.

The PD where I live is expermenting with a Prius, which gets almost 50 MPG - But the Crime Prevention officer that drives it hates it because of the lousy acceleration. I just had breakfast with him this morning, and he is almost embarassed to be driving the thing when people whiz around him when the light turns green - The thing only has about 100 horsepower

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Interesting but I figured it was only a matter of time. I look forward to seeing some pictures of one...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Pics of one in a shop : Link

NYPost graphic

Verified LEO
    As a city cop, I drove over 100 mph once in my whole career. That was on an officer down and I just happened to be near a freeway. I almost always had to drive regular streets and there was no way to get near that fast.

One of the best police cars I ever drove was bought during the gas crunch of the 70's. We bought a bunch of '76 Chevy Nova's with 350's in them. The old cops grumbled and wouldn't touch them so I got one. The top end was about 95, but it would reach 80 a hell of a lot quicker than any of the big muscle cars we had. And the handling and brakes were better.

The back seat was a little cramped, but I didn't have to ride back there.

Before that, we had 440 Plymouths that would have been great for a highway patrol, but sucked big time for city cops. I had to drive about 40 mph in low gear to my district, just to blow out the carbon. Halfway through the shift, I had to do it again. It was terrible about dying in intersections because of the carbon.

We'll have to see how durable they are. Frankly, I've never been particularly impressed by the durability of any American made police car.... 35 mph may not be much, but over a year's time, it beats the shit out of 16 mph. I don't know how important acceleration is in NYC. We would need that here, even if we didn't need a high top end.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Sounds like a dumb idea to me.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    As a city cop, I drove over 100 mph once in my whole career. That was on an officer down and I just happened to be near a freeway. I almost always had to drive regular streets and there was no way to get near that fast...
    We drive over 100 MPH about once every other weekend.

Of course, we only do that on freeways under ideal conditions, when we have to overtake speeders, answer assault calls, persuits, etc.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-16-09, 06:46 PM

Thread Information