Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

No Charges for Michael Phelps

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—A South Carolina sheriff said Monday he was not going to charge swimmer Michael Phelps after a photo of the 14-time gold medalist showed him smoking from a marijuana pipe.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said during a news conference that he didn’t have enough physical evidence to charge the swimmer, but he defended his investigation.

“Michael Phelps is truly an American hero … but even with his star status, he is still obligated to obey the laws of our state,” Lott said.
    Phelps released a statement after the sheriff’s decision.

“I’m glad this matter is put to rest. But there are also some important lessons that I’ve learned,” Phelps said in the statement. “For me, it’s all about recognizing that I used bad judgment and it’s a mistake I won’t make again. For young people especially—be careful about the decisions you make. One bad decision can really hurt you and the people you care about. I really appreciate the support my family and fans have shown me and now. I will move forward and dive back into the pool, having put this whole thing behind me.”

The photo showed Phelps smoking from a marijuana pipe at a party in November when he visited the University of South Carolina. Lott said he seized the marijuana pipe, known as a bong, that was in the photo but couldn’t prove Phelps had smoked from it.

“We had a photo and him saying he was sorry for inappropriate behavior. He never said, ‘I smoked marijuana.’ We didn’t have physical evidence,” Lott said.

USA Swimming suspended Phelps for three months in the wake of the photo, and Kellogg Co. said it would not renew its endorsement deal with him.

The photo surfaced in a British newspaper, News of the World, on Feb. 1. The swimmer, who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games, did not dispute its authenticity.

News of the World said the picture was taken during a party while Phelps was visiting the university. During that trip, he attended one of the school’s football games and received a big ovation when introduced to the crowd.

The sheriff’s office said eight people were arrested during the investigation. Seven have been charged with simple possession of marijuana, which carries a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail or a $575 fine. Another person was arrested for driving under suspension.

The sheriff’s office wouldn’t identify those charged but an attorney for three of them said the cases should be handled just like any other marijuana possession charge. Attorney Dick Harpootlian said he expects his clients to either have the charge dismissed or for them to get a conditional discharge, which allows an offender to avoid punishment as long as they comply with certain conditions for six months and stay out of trouble.
    The party occurred nearly three months after the Olympics while Phelps was taking a break from training, and his actions should have no impact on the eight golds he won at Beijing. He has never tested positive for banned substances.

This isn’t the first embarrassing episode for Phelps after an Olympic triumph. In 2004, a few months removed from winning six gold and two bronze medals in Athens, the swimmer was arrested on a drunken driving charge at age 19. He pleaded guilty and apologized for the mistake.

SC sheriff: No pot charge for Phelps after photo - Yahoo! Sports
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Kind of a no brainer. How can you charge someone when you can't prove it was dope he was smoking? Big gap between lookin' like it and a lab report.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Kind of a no brainer. How can you charge someone when you can't prove it was dope he was smoking? Big gap between lookin' like it and a lab report.
    + 1, Agree, would have just been a waste of time for the District Attorney's office.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Saw this one coming from a mile away...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I'm glad they didn't charge him just because he's a dope.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'm glad they didn't charge him just because he's a dope.

He definitely is not the brightest of people out there that is for sure. I know someone who is aquainted with him from the swim world and they always said that. Great swimmer but not too swift, has publists, coaches and of course his mom who always helped him along. He pretty much lived a sheltered life and I guess after his big swims he broke out and rode the wings of his victories getting caught up in a life that is way over his head.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    +1
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-16-09, 06:33 PM

Thread Information