Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Indy Guest

Spielberg Production Sued Over Haircut

So what do you think? Are they really that upset, or are they just out for money and this was a great chance to hit it rich?

-------------------------------------------------

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A Mescalero Apache family in southern New Mexico has sued the producers of Steven Spielberg's television miniseries, "Into the West," claiming a set stylist cut an 8-year-old girl's hair without regard for tribal customs.

"It's part of our culture not to cut a girl's hair until her Coming of Age ceremony," the girl's father, Danny Ponce, said Friday in a telephone interview. "The only ones allowed to do that are the parents. Nobody asked for permission."

Ponce filed suit in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque on March 6, naming Turner Films Inc. and the unknown stylist as defendants. The lawsuit seeks $250,000 for emotional distress and $75,000 in damages.

A Turner Films spokeswoman said the company doesn't comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit says Ponce's daughter, Christina, responded through her parents last March to an open casting call for work on the TNT network miniseries, "Into the West," for a three-day shoot near Carrizozo, N.M.

The stylist cut the girl's hair, the lawsuit claims, "to make her look more 'Indian' and like a male Indian child because the movie casting call failed to produce sufficient young male extras of Indian heritage."

The Mescalero tradition forbids cutting a girl's hair as she approaches puberty. To prepare for womanhood, Mescalero girls participate in a sacred Coming of Age ceremony that requires their hair to reach the waist.

Before it was cut, Ponce said his daughter's hair fell midway down her back. It has since grown to her collar.

"This has to do with the culture of a tribal member," he said. "It was cut very short above her ears. She looked like a boy."

Gov. Bill Richardson in recent years has increased state efforts to attract the film industry to New Mexico. While Ponce welcomes those initiatives, he suggested filmmakers from outside the state should try to be more culturally sensitive.

"Just because you're wealthy, you don't do something without checking first," Ponce said.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060318/...ache_haircut_2

Terminator is offline BANNED
    $$$$

FishTail Guest
    Oh yeah...money.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Usually you guy's know I think lawyers and "victims" are out for money, but in this case, I don't think they are. "traditional" Native American's are pretty strict to tradition. I can see why this would cause a law suit and piss people off. I think it's legit.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    I think it's legit, but they are asking for too much. I'd be upset if I was her parent and that was my tribe's custom, but still that is an exorbidant amount of money being demanded.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_undergrad_08
    I think it's legit, but they are asking for too much. I'd be upset if I was her parent and that was my tribe's custom, but still that is an exorbidant amount of money being demanded.
    You have to think though.. Purpose of the lawsuit is to teach the company a lesson. No better way to hit them than financially. You have a company that brings in possibly billions of dollars a year. Asking for less money isn't going to do much of a "hurtin" on the production company. Matter of fact, asking for what they are asking for, isn't going to do much damage. Not even a drop in the bucket to them.

I think the amount of money is fine personally.

Ken K is offline Banned
    I'd ike to know where at least one parent was at the time. I'd never turn my 8 year old over to a film crew without knowing exactly what they were going to do. What's the part, the scene, is there any danger?

And isn't an 8 year old able to know the tradition and say no!

All that aside, if they didn't tell the parents, and the kid was caught up in the moment, the film crew screwed up.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken K
    I'd like to know where at least one parent was at the time. I'd never turn my 8 year old over to a film crew without knowing exactly what they were going to do. What's the part, the scene, is there any danger?
    Good point.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken K
    And isn't an 8 year old able to know the tradition and say no!
    I wondered about that too, but at 8 yrs old, the parents could have turned her over to someone who was responsible for her and told her to do as they said and behave. If the child was told she was getting her hair cut, she may have been too shy to speak up or thought that since she was told to do as they said, that was the right thing to do.

Totally beside the point, but the picture on my yahoo homepage of her shows a cute kid. I like her hair the way it is now.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I need to go get a haircut today and pull this stunt. I'll be like "crap you cut my hair! I thought this was a restaurant!" and call my lawyer. Of course I'll need to grow out a little stubble first.

pmfc is offline ^
    Pure greed.

Although I agree that they should have told the parents ahead of time that the girl would have her hair cut for the part, she's lucky she only had to have a haircut. I have heard of several movies where female actresses were required to shave bald for their part (Alien 3, V for Vendetta, GI Jane, the original Star Trek, etc.)

Are these people forgetting that hair does in fact, grow back?

Thread Information