Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Fight at AL High School BBall Game

I have my own ideas, but how do you think this should be handled, and how could it be avoided in the future?

VIDEO:
    WSFA 12 News Montgomery, AL |Video

Top AHSAA official reacts to brawl

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 03:36 PM CST
    Updated: Feb 18, 2009 01:14 PM CST
    MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - The Executive Director of the Alabama High School Athletic Association stopped at the WSFA 12 News studios late Tuesday night to get a look at the full length video that has tarnished the game of basketball and good sportsmanship in Alabama.
    "Well, I'm not going to overreact," said AHSAA's Steve Savarese. " We're going to look at all the facts and look at the video, and we'll assess the situation and make some decisions."
    WSFA 12 Sports reporter Derek Steyer was covering the AHSAA sponsored Central Region Basketball Tournament, which is being hosted by Alabama State University, when a fight broke out on the court between players from G.W. Carver High School and Valley High School.
    Carver High School was winning the game 52-37 but tensions ran high in the fourth quarter. Around 3:45pm the foul that apparently started the mess was called. Several players began pushing each other, and the scuffle quickly escalated to an all-out melee when fans rushed out of the stands and onto the court.
    One unidentified player wearing Valley's orange shorts, could be seen rushing down the court, shirtless, throwing punches at others. Many other players and fans were on the ground being kicked and punched as police officers tried to regain control of the Acadome.
    Savarese tells WSFA 12 News "...from what I've seen in just the short clips, I'm very disappointed for student athletes of our state, because, uh, very disappointed [for] what we taugh 'em today."
    Neither of the head coaches from Valley or Carver are commenting, though they were seen hugging after the brawl was over.
    Gary Hall, principal at Carver High School spoke with WSFA 12 News afterwards. "It sends a bad message to our little kids, " Hall said of the event. "My son was in that situation and he's asking me 'Daddy what's going on?'" Carver's top educator said folks could rest assured he would "get to the bottom of it." He says he also apologizes to ASU for the situation.
    Meanwhile, no response from officials at Valley High School.
    Montgomery Public Schools spokesman Tom Salter said an investigation is underway and the school system will release a statement, possibly Wednesday.
    Kenneth Mullinax, Director of University Relations for Alabama State University, said "...no one was hurt. We had some over enthusiastic high school fans who got involved in an altercation..."
    He said eleven juveniles were "detained" after the incident and were taken to the Montgomery Juvenile Detention facility. They have not been charged with any crimes at this time.
    A short time after the ruckus was over, the tournament started with a new game, something Mullinax says will continue through Saturday as planned.
    As for security, Mullinax told WSFA 12 Sports reporter Derek Steyer there were plenty of officers on hand, though video showed officers struggling to regain control of the spiraling situation.
    Alabama State University is hosting the Alabama High School Athletic Association Central Region Basketball Tournament for the third consecutive year. 48 area high schools are competing for a spot in the state finals to be held in Birmingham. Mullinax insisted the event was safe and family friendly, and urged people to come out and enjoy the games.
    As for the outcome of the Carver-Valley game, officials called the game in favor of Carver as there were not enough eligible Valley players to continue. However, the AHSAA is planning to look at video to determine if Carver will remain in the running for the championship. If there are any suspensions Carver may have to forfeit the game and the possibility of a championship.
    "Hopefully, we can learn something from this..." Savarse said.
    Stay with WSFA 12 News as we gather more information on this developing story.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The lack of whole teams having a true understanding of sportsmanship is what keeps me from allowing my kids from playing sports. I have attended games and worked games where someone has been put out or arrested. I have seen parents and coaches yell at children like door stoops for mistakes. It's attitude like that being passed on to our kids that sets up incidents like this. With that being the teaching I've seen in this area it's no wonder these things happen.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    It's attitude like that being passed on to our kids that sets up incidents like this. With that being the teaching I've seen in this area it's no wonder these things happen.
    Exactly. Parents are not teaching proper values to their kids. And neither are the coaches. Coaches are too worried about getting a win to be bothered with creating constructive members of society.

--------------------------------------

Though with this being in Alabama, I figured the fight was probably over who has had sex with more of his sisters..........

*gets ready for the yankee bashing*
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One of the games I worked I watched a coach grab a kid (10-11 years old) by the shirt collar and shake him like he was a rag doll screaming like a crazy person for missing a ball. Before he was done I grabbed him and rearranged the dugout with him and took him to jail. One of the other coaches called "bullshit" as I passed with him saying the kid shouldn't have missed the ball. After seeing coaches and parents go into violent rages over stupid shit I quit working the games.
    It's nothing new to have the parents, coaches and fans break out into free for alls at some of our local basketball games. It's absolutely shameful. And it turns into headlines and Congressional hearings when athletes turn to steroids. Whatever. That crap has turned me off of sports all together.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I am with you, Lew.....after seeing similar things at little league games, I got turned off too. I suppose that is partially why Pro Sports is now right up there with being a used car salesman or a lawyer.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think both schools should be banned from any High School athletics for one year. Make the penalties sting, and you will curve the behavior. Also, a lifetime ban from sporting events involving public school teams for any adult that commits the crimes of harassment or assault on the field of play (ie charging the field/court). Lifetime ban for inciting a riot at any public school. Easy to do too. Trespass the individuals. If they are ran in NCIC by law enforcement while at any event they go straight to jail. Harassing a sports offical (coach/referee/umpire) at a sporting event is already upgraded to a Class B misdomenor in AL as the law stands today (13A-11-144(b)). Assaulting a sports offical is upgraded to minimum of a Class C felony 13A-11-144(d). Some of those charged at this event were charged with inciting to riot. Anyone that actively tries to start a riot where majority of the people in the area are minors should be made an example of by the justice system. As it stands today, that is only a misdomenor charge.

My agency actually works football games for OT through our agency at county schools. Our SROs are at the basketball games. The city schools in the area do the same.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think your idea is a good one. Unfortunately here convictions would be almost nil.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I think your idea is a good one. Unfortunately here convictions would be almost nil.

Thus, the circle continues.

Thread Information