Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you find the phrase "Japs Surrender" offensive?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

25 75.76%
  • Yes, but it is history and should be allowed to be displayed

8 24.24%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japs Surrender

213th is offline Solipsist

Japs Surrender

INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 18 (UPI) -- The director of a VA hospital in Indiana has offended some veterans by removing a framed newspaper with the headline "Japs Surrender."
    The framed front page of the Indianapolis Times had been hanging at the Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center for more than 60 years. Director Tom Mattice said he decided to take it down after a new employee complained about the display of an ethnic slur from World War II, the Indianapolis Star reported Wednesday.
    Ronald "Bud" Albright, who commands a Marine Corps League chapter, has launched a campaign to get the newspaper back on the wall. He hopes veterans from around the country will write to complain.
    "We feel it's a slap in the face of the U.S. military," he said. "That newspaper is history, part of United States history."
    Mattice said he has asked the VA's national ethics office for guidance. He has also assigned a member of his staff to look for an alternate newspaper front page -- "Something like 'Victory in the Pacific' or 'Japanese Surrender.' "
    That would go up next to the newspaper from three months earlier that proclaims "GERMANY QUITS."
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In the context given - a newspaper headline from history - this should not be offensive.

Using it out of context could be.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Any government does what it can to vilify the enemy during war. Editorial cartoons were drawn all the time showing Japanese soldiers as buck toothed, ape like characters wearing glasses. Germans were portrayed as jackbooted thugs. (Much like they do the ATF today).

During Vietnam, Vietnamese were known as "gooks" by everybody. Now it's offensive, then it wasn't.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I found the term Tora, Tora, Tora offensive , I found the Bataan Death March offensive and I find the need for the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial which is dedicated to the just under 2,000 sailors and Marines who went down with their ship offensive. If the Greatest Generation wants to remember their hard fought victory , I certainly think their entitled to do so. I 'm more than certain that if the Japanese or for that matter the Germans had won World War II they wouldn't give a f*@k what we find offensive. They would be pulling an Obama and simply tell us ," We won."
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This politically correct crap is going to be the death of this country. How much more of this stuff are we going to see?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Not part of my vocabulary, but I thought "Jap" was closer to the "rude speech" end of the scale, not down with the heavy racial slurs?

I say put the paper back up and fire the new guy (or gal) for being a whiny bitch (either way).

Saw this a bit earlier. Now calling this -> a yellow star is offensive??

Internet auction house eBay has temporarily renamed the yellow stars it uses to evaluate sellers on its French site after a complaint that the symbol had anti-semitic connotations.

The move came after French eBay user Dominique Bellamy wrote to the company earlier this month to point out that during World War II the Nazis made Jews wear a yellow star on their clothes as a discriminatory mark.

His wife Francoise Bellamy told AFP Thursday that her husband "refused to be be given a yellow star, even a virtual one.

"It brought back bad memories of the occupation" of France by Germany during World War II, she said

What's next? I can't even imagine what people will find to be offended about tomorrow.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I found our government's Japanese internment camps far more offensive.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    In the context given - a newspaper headline from history - this should not be offensive.

+1
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I found our government's Japanese internment camps far more offensive.
    Well , I have to agree with you on that issue , Smoochy.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm with Mac. In the context in which it was displayed it's not offensive.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I agree with maclean as well.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Saw this a bit earlier. Now calling this -> a yellow star is offensive??

Internet auction house eBay has temporarily renamed the yellow stars it uses to evaluate sellers on its French site after a complaint that the symbol had anti-semitic connotations.

The move came after French eBay user Dominique Bellamy wrote to the company earlier this month to point out that during World War II the Nazis made Jews wear a yellow star on their clothes as a discriminatory mark.

His wife Francoise Bellamy told AFP Thursday that her husband "refused to be be given a yellow star, even a virtual one.

"It brought back bad memories of the occupation" of France by Germany during World War II, she said.

What's next? I can't even imagine what people will find to be offended about tomorrow.
    Okay, this is absolutely retarded. What kind of star were Jews required to wear? The star of David. A SIX POINTED STAR!. THis dipshit french guy needs to be kicked in the nuts
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Can someone take it as offensive? Sure. Is it wrong to put it on the wall? I don't think so. It's a historical look at the time where the U.S. was exiting form a war. The headline was about the enemy at the time. I've been to the Holocaust museum in DC, and they didn't take down any words or symbols that could be viewed as offensive. They are all over that place, and serve as a view into how things were back then and there. So yeah, this headline could be offensive, but in this case, it has a historical context. So while some would have issue with it, I don't have a problem with it being on the wall.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think if you give me the power to offend you that YOU are the idiot. I prefer to exploit percieved weakness that people have about me. Barney Fifeing 101.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

+1

Newspapers from that time contain a lot of words that are offensive by today's standards. Back then "colored" was considered unoffensive, and that legacy means that even today it's part of the official title of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) even though many members of the NAACP would be offended if you went up to them and called them "colored."

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

+1

Come on, people! This is a historical document. The word "Jap" in this document was not offensive when it was written. It is a reference to citizens of a country involved in a significant moment in history and it should be preserved and displayed as such.

It is NOT a "Nah nah nah nah nah, we kicked your ass!!!' type thing and it should not be taken as such by anyone.

Are Polish people offended by the term "Pole"? I know the common term for Americans - "Yanks" used by some is not offensive to me. What about "Brits"? Any of you members across the big pond offended by that??

I am SICK of PC. I should be able to speak my mind, without being intentionally rude to others, without worrying how an innocent term that I use might offend someone. Excuse the mini-rant but dang, I am tired of this.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    When did the Jewish American Pincesses surrender???
    It's all in your prespective. As Law enforcement, we get called all kinds of things...Is anybody worried that WE might be offended.
    I've been to Japan and they still call us giging (not sure I spelled that right).

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPO710 View Post
    When did the Jewish American Pincesses surrender???
    It's all in your prespective. As Law enforcement, we get called all kinds of things...Is anybody worried that WE might be offended.
    I've been to Japan and they still call us giging (not sure I spelled that right).
    Gaijin.

And yes, it isn't a compliment but not quite an insult. It means "outside person."
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Gaijin, Gringo, Yank, Yankee , Cowboy, etc.......I could care less what anyone from another country calls me. With apologies to Mr. Sheakesphere, an American by any other name is still free.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Everyone please.... This is a serious topic that gos beyond an historical headline and stabs us all deep in the heart who are self righteous. Modern day PC is no joke.

Just so you all know, If anything that I ever post on here offends even just one of you in anyway let me know as soon as possible so I can take it down.
    The last thing I ever want to do is hurt your feelings.

Weather I'm wrong or not I promise to punish myself severely for any personal pain I may cause you.

Hugs, kisses, Peace and love.

Caveman

P.S.
    Please accept this formal apology from me in advance. It comes from the deepest of my heart.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information