Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Jackson, MS Mayor's trial

Jackson mayor's jury reconvenes Saturday

Chris Joyner • chris.joyner@jackson.gannett.c om • February 20, 2009

Jurors in the federal civil rights trial of Jackson Mayor Frank Melton and ex-bodyguard Michael Recio will be back at it at 9 a.m. Saturday.

They were unable to reach a verdict after about 16 1/2 hours of deliberations.

Melton, 59, and Recio, 39, and his former bodyguard Michael Recio are charged with violating the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution for their part in an Aug. 26, 2006, warrantless raid on a Ridgeway Street duplex Melton later said was a crack house.

Specifically, Melton is accused of ordering a group of young men, some of whom had criminal records, to attack the Virden Addition home with sledgehammers while he broke out windows with a large stick. Recio, a Jackson police officer, is accused of driving the entourage to the scene twice and doing nothing to stop the raid.

If convicted on all counts, the men face between five and 25 years in prison. Melton also would have to step down as mayor. Recio, who is on paid leave from the Jackson Police Department, would have to turn in his badge.

Jurors worked throughout the day Thursday, at one point declaring they were at an impasse. U.S. District Judge Dan Jordan ordered them to resume their discussions.

Jurors resumed deliberations at 9:15 a.m. today but after barely an hour broke until 12:30 p.m.

Jordan said a juror had a "medical-related" errand.

At about 6 p.m. jurors said they wanted to break for the night.

"There is a specific issue I think we need to talk about before we make this decision," the foreman told Jordan.

Since they were handed the case Wednesday afternoon, the jury has asked for transcripts of testimony from former bodyguard Marcus Wright and Michael Taylor, Melton’s former ward who was in the mayor’s entourage the night of the raid.

They also have asked for a transcript of the stipulation agreements between the prosecution and the defense. In large part, those agreements were that Melton did not apply for a warrant to enter the house and that there is no mention of the house in City Council minutes prior to the raid.

Jurors also asked Jordan for a legal definition of conspiracy, which is one of three criminal charges facing the defendants.
    Another Jackson Police Officer "bodyguard" was also on scene but he cut a deal on a guilty plea and testified for the Government. Just another nail in the Capitol's coffin, a downward spiral that has been going on for years.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Ya think some outside influence is keeping the jury from making a decision?

I just found evidence (and a lot of it) that my old city was playing footsies with my attorney over a suit I filed. Now I have a malpractice suit against my old attorney. Reason #24 why I never trust government at any level to be honest when push comes to shove.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    No verdict today-they are starting again Monday.

Thread Information