Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Is the cartoon racist?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 26.32%
  • No

14 73.68%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

NAACP calls for firing of N.Y. Post cartoonist

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Leaders of the NAACP on Saturday called for the firing of the New York Post cartoonist whose drawing lampooning the federal stimulus bill has drawn charges that it's racist and encourages violence toward President Obama.
    Speaking at the civil rights group's annual meeting in New York, NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous said that if Sean Delonas is not fired, the group will call for protests of the paper and Fox television affiliates, which are owned by Post parent company News Corp.
    "There is consensus that if the Post does not ... get rid of the journalists who are responsible for this bit of hate speech seeing the light of day, that we will move this from a local, regional issue to a very national issue," Jealous said.
    The group also called for the cartoonist's editor to be fired.
    Many critics said the cartoon played on historically racist images by appearing to compare Obama, the nation's first black president, to a chimpanzee that had been shot by police officers.
    The cartoon references the mauling of a Connecticut woman by a chimpanzee who was later shot and killed by police.
    In its caption, one of the officers says, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."
    Obama had signed the bill the day before the cartoon ran.
    On its Web site Thursday, the paper offered a qualified apology, saying it was "most certainly not our intent" to express racism, but also accusing some of jumping at a chance to attack a paper they already disliked.
    "To them, no apology is due," the paper wrote. "Sometimes a cartoon is just a cartoon -- even if the opportunists seek to make it something else."
    But NAACP Chairman Julian Bond said that explanation rings hollow.
    "This is tastelessness taken to the extreme," he said. "For the publication to suggest the only people who object to it are constant critics of the New York Post is beyond ridiculous.
    "This was an invitation to assassination of the president of the United States and anyone who was not offended by it doesn't have any sensibilities."

Decide for yourself. Here is the cartoon:

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I vote yes. How can you say it is not racist?

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Looks it to me. I can't believe that liberal rag would dare post something like that. Bad taste as best.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Obama didn't write the stimulus bill. The Nancy Pelosi led Democrats in the House and the Senate wrote the majority of the bill. Obama as President signed the bill into law. I do agree that perhaps the stupid cartoon shouldn't have been printed , because the average citizen won't realize that.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

I don't think it's racist. And if it was supposed to be taken that way, they wouldn't have published it.

I think you're thinking of it with a black and white cop mindset, where the monkey equals a black person (likely Obama), and the white police officers have shot him dead.

That isn't the case here. The monkey is a metaphor. And Obama didn't write the Stimulus Bill. He only signed it in to law as POTUS. You've probably heard the saying that someone could "hire a monkey to do it."

If the cartoon had a black police officer, would it still have been racist?

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    You can call it what you want I have no doubt they were referring to obama as a monkey. In cases like this there are many ways they can spin it.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I dont think it was intentionally racist but it sure came out looking that way. Definitely very poor judgment and in very bad taste.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I dont think it was intentionally racist but it sure came out looking that way. Definitely very poor judgment and in very bad taste.

Agreed.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I don't know, I think that it very finely toes the line between racism and just poor taste. As Captain America said, Obama didn't write the Stimulus Bill. Now, if the cartoonist had labeled the chimp with Obama's name, that would be very different.

I think it's a bit more offensive because it mocks an incident where a woman's face, eyes, nose, jaw, were literally torn off. I'm sure her family doesn't find it funny at all.

The Post is tabloid trash, people shouldn't expect much from it anyway. I think that Julian Bonds assertion that it's an invitation to assassinate the President is ridiculous.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I think you're right.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Saw the cartoon elsewhere, didn't read race into it then. But then I see the stimulus bill as something a crazed monkey might write while taking a break from trying to randomly recreate Hamlet. Didn't find it humorous either, seemed like a dud.

A review of his past work shows him to have quite a few duds.

Fire the guy for being bad at his job.

Verified LEO
    Pelosi may have written the bill, but it's Obama's baby and he's the one representing it to the world. I think there's little doubt that to a reasonable person that the chimp is representing him. I'm just surprised it got by the editors.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Funny you didn't hear as much noise before.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I don't think it's racist because, as others pointed out, Obama didn't author the Stimulus bill.

When the NAACP steps in, my kneejerk reaction is to side against them because they are one of the biggest racist organizations on the planet.

Be that as it may, no one is guaranteed the right to not be offended.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I didn't vote simply because I don't want to call someone who I don't know racist based off of one drawing. Now was it stupid for them to publish that? Absolutely.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Funny you didn't hear as much noise before.

White people aren't generally referred to as apes as a racist statement either. Having grown up in the South, I can tell you that black people used to be, at least.

Interesting that neither Obama nor his people seem to be excited about it. All that being said, the NAACP is tiresome sometimes. I just think it's great that a liberal paper is being called out on his bullshit.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    To many people cry racism when race is not a factor at all. This may be in bad taste, but it has nothing to do with race.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Since I still live in the South I can tell you when I visit other regions of the country that the South has moved on more so than other regions as a whole. There will always be isolated incidents involving any race and/or regions of the country. It has been my experience that those that lean on the race crutch are the biggest racist. Then again, most people confuse racism and bigotry. I know plenty of bigots, but much fewer "racists".

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Since I still live in the South I can tell you when I visit other regions of the country that the South has moved on more so than other regions as a whole.
    No argument. Portland is a classic case of a racist town, not bigoted, but racist.

That's why they perpetuate affirmative action, etc. because they don't believe black people are capable of doing anything on their own. They are more than willing to pour money into the black neighborhoods, but please don't come into ours. And the sad thing is, they believe they are so diverse.....

Ever see this site? It's typical Northwest.... Look at numbers 7 & 8.

Full List of Stuff White People Like Stuff White People Like

Again, even though Congress wrote this, it's called Obama's stimulus, not Pelosi's.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Oh, so now it matters? We are so screwed and the NAACP and Fat Al the porky preacher is worried about a cartoon. The monkeys should be offended that people would associate them with Nancy "whack job" Pelosi and Osama bin Biden.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information