Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

N.Y. Officer in YouTube Shove No Longer with NYPD

NEW YORK --
    New York City police say an officer seen in a YouTube video knocking a bicyclist to the pavement during a protest has been kicked off the force, although his lawyer says his client resigned.
    Police officials say Patrick Pogan was dismissed last week. He was suspended last year after pleading not guilty to criminal charges of filing false paperwork.
    His lawyer, Stuart London, says his 23-year-old client resigned and expects to be vindicated at trial.
    Pogan is accused of knocking Christopher Long off his bicycle without justification on June 25 during a group-organized bike ride.
    Pogan had arrested Long, saying the cyclist blocked traffic and steered his bike into an officer, but charges were dismissed after the video appeared on YouTube.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    No link to the youtube video??????
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Terminator is offline BANNED

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for posting that. Man, that looks REALLY bad for the officer. I would imagine if there was any kind of reasoning for that it would have come forward. WTF was he thinking????? Again, that looks really bad. had there been any kind of comment from the officer?
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    It looked incredibly stupid, but hardly seems like something he should be fired for. We've had guys do a lot dumber things than that and keep their jobs even though they got an unpaid vacation for a while.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Fucking Idiot Cop! But I agree I think 3 days to think about it would of been justified. Lesson to us all that cameras are everywhere.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    From the images shown on the video, I don't understand why the Officer did that. It appeared as though the biker was trying to steer around the Officer, not at him. One bad decision just cost him a lot...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    What is the "rest of the story" besides the political BS from New York Shitty.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    You mean there might be something else not shown on the video other than this dumbshit pushing a bike over? Or are you talking about him being fired for it?

The firing looks over the top, but pushing looks pretty indefensible.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Critcal mass assholes.

They pulled a guy out of his car here in Seattle and beat him with a bike lock.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Ahh, that doesn't cover the Cascade Bicycle Mafia, err, club . . .

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    The rest of the story is that the officer is a fucking idiot. personally, the video doesn't lie. Doesn't appear that the biker was a threat, appears the officer was venting, and found a biker smaller than him, to nail. Stupid ass move..
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    NEW YORK --

He was suspended last year after pleading not guilty to criminal charges of filing false paperwork.

Pogan had arrested Long, saying the cyclist blocked traffic and steered his bike into an officer, but charges were dismissed after the video appeared on YouTube.
    i would think that this is what he was fired for...not the actual incident itself, but the integrity issue in the paperwork. once you lie in an official document and have a sustained integrity violation against you, you can no longer be considered credible on the stand and therefor there is no use for you to be around.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I read about that I think Mac, they very active in the Seattle area aren't they, (Critical Mass)??
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I read about that I think Mac, they very active in the Seattle area aren't they, (Critical Mass)??
    They're active in Portland too. Bicyclist have gotten really militant over the last 20 years or so. The last spontaneous arrest I made was a bicycle messenger that blew a light and I damn near hit him in my unmarked. Then he flipped me off....... I made sure I ruined the rest of his day.

A few years ago, the police finally just gave up fighting them on their Critical Mass day and let them run lights, etc. If they get hit, they get hit. I think they learned there are reasons for traffic lights on their own and there is a lot less tension now.

But they're reason #21 why I rarely drive into Portland anymore. Bikes are all over the place and ride like they own the world.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    These two wheeled "activists" are pushinga three foot rule for passing, routinly violate traffic laws, create mass situations in Seattle that cause headaches for real working folks, and on and on. There is a rather vocal group out here called the Cascade Bicycle Club that are fairly strident in this sort of stuff. The kind of jerknuts who get in the face of officers when they enforce laws on the riding trails.

Bicycling is a healthy and fun pasttime. These folks in Critical Mass take it to an extreme level.

Thread Information