Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Several shot along Mardi Gras route

Hope Mavriktu is ok...

Cops: Several shot along Mardi Gras route - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Two suspects in custody; injuries considered not life threatening

BREAKING NEWS
    updated 3 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Several people have been shot along a Mardi Gras parade route and two suspects were taken into custody, police said.

Police spokesman Bob Young said the gunfire erupted about 1:40 p.m. Tuesday during a truck float parade. Authorities don't believe the injuries were life threatening.

The victims were taken to local hospitals. No other information was immediately available.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

bluelightem is offline Rookie
    That is why nothing good happens at Margi Gras. Welllll....
    Thomas

"If you find yourself in a fair fight... your tactics SUCK!"

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    *sigh* I fu@king HATE Mardi Gras.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Shooting spree injures six on St. Charles Avenue parade route

by staff and wire reports Tuesday February 24, 2009, 1:46 PM

Rhonda Nabonne / The Times-PicayuneEmergency personnel prepare a man for transport by ambulance to a local hospital after a shooting on St. Charles Avenue near 2nd Street as a truck parade passed by Tuesday.
    Six people, including a baby, were injured this afternoon after a shooting spree broke out along the St. Charles Avenue parade route near Second Street, according to the New Orleans Police Department.
    The shootings happened about 1:40 p.m. after the last major parade of the celebration, Rex, had ended. Hundreds of truck floats that follow the parade were passing when gunfire broke out.
    "It sounded like a string of fireworks, so I knew it was more than one shooter," said Toni Labat, 29, a window company manager. She was with her two children, a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl.
    "Everybody was petrified. They hit the ground, the floats stopped, everybody on the floats ducked," Labat said.
    Labat said one man dragged himself on the ground screaming for help after being wounded and another man was gasping for air and bleeding from his mouth.
    Of the six victims, two are listed in serious condition. They are both men around 20 who were shot in the abdomen, according to Jeb Tate with New Orleans EMS.
    The four others are listed in stable condition. They include a 1-year-old boy with a graze wound to the back; a 17-year-old girl shot in the thigh; a 50-year-old woman shot in the elbow, and and 30-year-old man with a graze wound to the thigh. All appeared to be innocent bystanders in the area for the day's Carnival parades, said NOPD Deputy Chief Kirk Bouyelas.
    Dr. Jim Parry, 41, a surgeon who was with a gathering of doctors near the shooting site, ran over to tend to one man who he said had been shot in the abdomen. "He kept asking me, 'Was I shot? Was I shot?'"
    Paramedics arrived and took over for the Air Force reservist.
    "I'm off to Afghanistan this summer. Damn, this is more dangerous than Afghanistan," Parry said.
    Rhonda Nabonne / The Times-PicayuneA New Orleans police officer talks to a candy vendor shot on St. Charles Avenue near 2nd Street Tuesday.
    Two male suspects were arrested shortly after the shooting, when police officers on parade duty heard the gunshots and chased them on foot. They were apprehended at Carondelet and Second streets, where officers found them carrying three guns, Bouyelas said.
    "The important thing to note is that the officers were here at the scene and quick to respond," he said.
    The violence along the oak-lined Uptown streetcar line marred what had been a generally peaceful day of revelry in which hundreds of thousands of people partied in the streets on the final day of Carnival. Another shooting was reported on Friday night after an argument, but otherwise, the event was generally problem-free.
    Uptown resident Beau Beals, 45, a resident of Uptown, was outside a house party sitting on the lake side of St. Charles when the shooting happened.
    He said he saw a group of young men in front of the Hedgewood Surgical Center at 2427 St. Charles, facing the crowd on the neutral ground. That's when he heard about nine pops and saw smoke, then noticed a man lying in the street.
    Upon hearing all the commotion, NOPD officer Sabrina Richardson, who was working a private detail at the party Beal was attending, pushed some of the people inside of the house and bolted outdoors to tend to the wounded. He said he and other revelers tossed children over a metal fence to get them to safety, but others kept waiting for beads and other trinkets being tossed from the floats as if nothing had happened.
    "There was an ambulance that was picking up a guy off the street and people didn't even stop vying for throws," Beal said.

Shooting spree injures six on St. Charles Avenue parade route - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Ha ooooh well I feel your pain then, being that you are a police officer there. Actually I wouldn't know how much that sucks during Mardi Gras, but I can only imagine.
    Thomas

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That must be a nightmare. Is there usually random "celebratory" shooting during Mardi Gras, kind of like the random shootings that occur in cities like Detroit and Chicago on New Year's Eve?

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Like the West Indian Day Parade, after a while and enough drinks even the good folk start acting like Animules and drunken fools. I always called that parade a roving riot, nothing but insane chaos, flat bed tractor trailors filled with speakers and people dancing in costumes, throwing powder (fairy dust). I think the night before is even worse, the J'ouvert. May be worse then Mardi Gras, less touristy, more animalistic (actually animals don't even behave like some) Sure am glad to not have to work that any more!

Be safe!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightem View Post
    That is why nothing good happens at Margi Gras. Welllll....
    I know one good thing that comes from it. BOOBS

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I know one good thing that comes from it. BOOBS
    Ha right-o
    Thomas

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    + 1,000,000
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Even up here, Fat Tuesday has become a problem. Tonight there will be lotsa cops on the street and lotsa people going to jail......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I can fondly remember Mardi Gras 66, 67, 68. But I wasn't a local cop then and Bourbon Street wasn't a bunch of T-Shirt shops, All bars and strip joints except for Preservation Hall.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    "I'm off to Afghanistan this summer. Damn, this is more dangerous than Afghanistan," Parry said.

Statistically, I bet he's right.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Like I said in Mav's thread, there's a reason I never got within 100 miles of Mardi Gras, even though I grew up in Louisiana and spent 20 years there.

Boobies are less trouble to obtain elsewhere

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Our Mardi Gras crap is nothing like the Hell NOPD deals with. I feel for them every year, like I always says, "you can't have nothing around here".
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    I can fondly remember Mardi Gras 66, 67, 68. But I wasn't a local cop then and Bourbon Street wasn't a bunch of T-Shirt shops, All bars and strip joints except for Preservation Hall.
    I was at Mardi Gras in 1965. You could still drive cars down Bourbon Street then. I don't recall seeing any violence, just a good time. But I was 20 years old and had a different mindset then. But then again, I think the world was a bit of a different place than it is now too. People just shot other people over wimmen and money, not dumbshit gang stuff.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightem View Post
    Ha ooooh well I feel your pain then, being that you are a police officer there. Actually I wouldn't know how much that sucks during Mardi Gras, but I can only imagine.
    I no longer work that area. I'm about 80 miles away now and have been for about 12 years. There hasn't been many places for Mardi Gras in the N.O. area I havent' been and it was ALL a pain in the ass. Especially the French Quarter. Our parades don't compare but they are still a pain in the ass and I still hate Mardi Gras.
    Although I did learn a few things from working those parades. No matter what location a person is trying to get to it is 2 blocks up and take a left. There was no such thing as the jail was overcrowded. For God's sake don't touch an NOPD officers hat or horse. A piss and booze bath was when we threw a suspect down on Bourbon St. 3 officers and 1 horse can clear an entire block. NOPD is one of the best agencies at crowd control. There are no bathrooms available so that people can be charged with urinating in public. What can I say? It's a money making racket.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Booze , drugs, lack of brain cells , beads and guns = Mardi Gras
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That must be a nightmare. Is there usually random "celebratory" shooting during Mardi Gras, kind of like the random shootings that occur in cities like Detroit and Chicago on New Year's Eve?
    Not as a rule. This is more prevelant during New Years and the 4th of July. It does happen however.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Like lewis my parade is a lot smaller,like lewis I cut my teeth on N.O. parades,I worked a suburb of N.O. and NOPD went on strike one year and ALL the parades came to our city.I was on a corner where the parade turned(considered prime space for revelers cause the parade has to go slow ,and they get more throws) I was by myself,with an estimated crowd of 10,000yeah baby,guess who sat on the hood of his unit and watched

Thread Information