Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Firefighters sue siren company...for hearing loss...

Federal Signal Corp. said a court found against it in a civil suit filed by nine firefighters who claimed they suffered hearing loss from exposure to loud fire-truck sirens made by the Oak Brook maker of specialized vehicles and equipment used by local governments and emergency services providers.
    Federal Signal faces a number of such hearing-loss lawsuits brought on behalf of firefighters, with the bulk of them filed in Cook County.

To date, the company has enjoyed substantial success when the cases have gone to court. In April, for example, a Cook County jury deliberated for less than two hours before finding in Federal Signal's favor on a hearing-loss case brought by 27 firefighters. And hearing-loss cases in three other states were voluntarily dismissed last year.

On Monday, the company said it will appeal the jury's decision. Federal Signal didn't disclose terms of any award the jury recommended. It did say in intends to "fight aggressively to overturn this verdict."

http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Siren-Company-Loses-One-in-Hearing-Loss-Suits/46$62838

Is this a joke?? Maybe I should sue Glock for my own hearing loss. Next thing you know they'll be suing the city water department for wrinkly skin after a fire. Apparently they weren't informed when they were hired that they may be subjected to loud noises.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I believe there is some sort of legalese disclaimer posted somewhere in cop cars that you should wear hearing protection when the siren is activated or suffer potential hearing loss. I'm sure there is one posted in a fire truck. If they win, what would they do with the money? Buy more recliners, 50 inch plasmas and have an even bigger nightly steak dinner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    All the firefighters around here wear ear protection when they're running code.

Hell, when I first came on, we didn't wear hearing protection at the range. Little wonder half the old cops where nearly deaf when they were retired......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I know that lawsuit sounds like bull.....but Washington State OSHA (WISHA) actually did a study of police cars and decided that the sirens must be located out in front of the vehicle to protect hearing. They also decided that the little stubby UHF antennas that used to sit on the package deck of your undercover car must be moved outside to minimize radiation effects. They also made us move our spotlights to the window post instead of the roof (where they actually did some good).....and so on and so on.

I love my government and I am sure it loves me too.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified LEO
    We've always had our spot lights on the door post, never on top of the car. But we do have "alley lights" on the sides of the light bars that work pretty good for side lighting.

Cops do have a dangerous attitude that "we're tough" and will ignore reasonable precautions. I fought that attitude like hell when I was trying to get protective gear for working drug labs in the late 80's. I came across a lot of old cops, especially in DEA that getting sick after doing labs was "just part of it". Even though people were dying from cancer and other diseases. I ended up with emphysema from them.

There's good reason firefighters call cops 'blue canaries". We'll walk into anything....

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    so if this suceeds can Term sue certain magazine companies for giving him Carpal Tunnel?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    so if this suceeds can Term sue certain magazine companies for giving him Carpal Tunnel?
    Or Al Gore for inventing the Internet!

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Actually Car 4, there was an officer with a certain south Snohomish county agency that did file an unsucessful OSHA claim against her agency because she had to use a siren on code runs. About four years old now.

Some people will sue for anything. What's next? These jerknut hoseheads sue because the engine rumbles too loud? Or they are exposed to potentially toxic smoke at fires?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've been out of the hosedragger game for the most part the last few years, but I thought there was an NFPA standard that covered hearing protection. Our station went to headsets in all of the apparatus for this reason, as well as to better communicate with each other while responding.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Our hoseheads all wear headsets with the boom mikes for hearing protection and for communication - but that was driven because of the noise the engine made.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I only have three years on at my department, but when i first started, they still had patrol cars assigned to people with the siren hidden in the lightbar over your head. Had to turn off your siren to get out on your radio... Siren would cover your voice. I rode in a few of those cars as spairs.. I would get a headache after running lights and sirens a few times. Finally I stopped using the siren unless I had to.

My issued car had the siren mounted in the engine compartment.. That was still pretty loud. A few times my Sgt came over the radio and told me to turn off my siren so he could hear me.

Now, all of our sirens are mounted on our push bars on the exterior of the car. I like that a LOT better. Hope it stays that way.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I rode the rescue about 25 years ago as a volunteer here. During the summer the crew compartment in the back was not air conditioned so you had to open the front window (right behind the bar light and siren) for ventillation. If it was a long run your ears would ring for an hour after the run. I finally got some sense and started keeping plugs in my turnout pocket.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information