Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking U.S. Senate Votes to Uphold Second Amendment in Washington, D.C.

NRA-ILA :: U.S. Senate Votes to Uphold Second Amendment in Washington, D.C.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – The United States Senate has voted, with overwhelming bipartisan support, to adopt an amendment offered by Senator John Ensign (R-NV) that seeks to protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in the District of Columbia. The amendment, attached to S.160, the D.C. Voting Rights Act, will repeal restrictive gun control laws passed by the District of Columbia’s (D.C.) city council after the landmark D.C. v. Heller Supreme Court decision. The vote margin was 62-36.

Senator John Ensign (R-NV)

“Today’s vote brings us one step closer to restoring the Second Amendment freedom of law-abiding D.C. residents,” said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. “It’s ludicrous that good people in our nation’s capital continue to be harassed as they try to defend themselves and their loved ones in their own homes. This vote reinforces the historic Heller ruling.”

After the Heller ruling, the D.C. city council passed a law requiring would-be gun owners to pay a registration fee, pass a 20-question multiple choice test, take a five-hour training course, undergo an invasive background check every six years, re-register any firearm every three years, and finally, submit all handguns for ballistics testing. Current D.C. law also bans an overwhelming majority of firearms commonly used for self-defense. This Ensign Amendment would also remedy that unjust practice.

“NRA would like to thank the lead sponsor, Sen. John Ensign for his efforts to reform D.C.’s gun laws and enable folks to protect their property and their loved ones,” concluded Cox. “It’s time for leaders in Washington to wake up to the fact that the Supreme Court decision is now the law of the land.”

-NRA-

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Well, don't that beat all.......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll be damned. Does it have to pass the House?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    It will go to committee and there is already talk of striking it for a compromise bill that will become law.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Wow... we need a bill to uphold a bill. Definitely a sign of too much bureaucracy.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

If the Republicans cave on this for a comprimise, maybe they deserved to loose the election - What more motivation do they need for a 100% favorable vote than a Supreme Court decision?

I'm liking the fact more and more each day that Texas can legally suceed from the Union whenever the motion gets enough votes in the Texas Legislature.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post

I'm liking the fact more and more each day that Texas can legally suceed from the Union whenever the motion gets enough votes in the Texas Legislature.
    It can legally divide itself into 5 states, but if it could legally succeed from the union, it would have done so in 1862.

You have any documentation about succeeding? I think that's fairly recent urban legend. When I took Texas history as a kid, they talked about the division, but nothing about succeeding. Ron Paul said they should and some fringe groups have advocated it, but I don't believe there's a legal basis for it. If there is, please post it.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

No doubt there's some legend behind that, and on one level, it's just something that Texans like to muse about.

But there's that pesky clause in the US Constitution, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

I'm not so sure that ALL states don't have the right to secede under that clause, since there is no prohibition on seceding.

Finally, Article I of the Texas Constitution certainly authorizes it:
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...m/CN.1.htm#1.1

Sec. 1. FREEDOM AND SOVEREIGNTY OF STATE. Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States [see clause above], and the maintenance of our free institutions and the perpetuity of the Union depend upon the preservation of the right of local self-government, unimpaired to all the States.

Sec. 2. INHERENT POLITICAL POWER; REPUBLICAN FORM OF GOVERNMENT. All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.
    I don't know if other states have that language in their constitution, but I'm not sure it matters... The bigger question is, would the United States overstep their authority and violently try to put down a Secession, just as the Soviet Union violently put down Georgia's seperation a couple of years ago?

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Trouble is, the federal constitution always supersedes states'.

Marijuana laws are one example. There is nothing in the constitution authorizing the DEA, but they have the right to enforce marijuana laws over the states' making it legal. They've busted a number of "medical marijuana" grows around here.

I seriously doubt a succession resolution by the Texas legislature would hold water.

The could do the division and gain 6 Senators though....

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    They could do the division and gain 6 Senators though....
    I never thought of that - Not a bad idea!

It would be a mixed bag, though.. For example, the Austin area is almost as liberal as some parts of Oregon.

(\__/)

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    This gives me some hope in a sea of worry right now...
    Arm the sheep!

Thread Information