Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Man Killed After Attacking Judge At Trial

By TRACIE CONE and GARANCE BURKE, AP
    posted: 4 HOURS 14 MINUTES AGOcomments: CrimeNews, FRESNO, Calif. (March 5) - A man accused of killing his girlfriend was shot to death in a Stockton courtroom Wednesday after he attacked the judge presiding over his murder trial, officials said.Suspect Killed in Court After Attacking JudgeA man accused of killing his girlfriend was shot to death in a Stockton, California courtroom Wednesday after he attacked the judge presiding over his murder trial, officials said. David Paradiso, 28, was shot by a police detective after he left the witness stand and began attacking San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Cinda Fox during a break in proceedings, said Dave Konecny, a spokesman for the sheriff's department.Paradiso took the stand to testify around 2 p.m. and was quickly asked by prosecutors why he killed his girlfriend Eileen Pelt.He responded: "Cause she deserved to die."Paradiso's mother, Debra, stood up and started yelling, leading the judge to call a recess. As jurors filed out, Paradiso left the stand and approached the judge from behind "with an unknown cutting instrument," Konecny said.Karen McConnell, a county spokeswoman, said witnesses reported seeing Paradiso lift the judge and begin punching and possibly stabbing her when bailiffs ran to her aid and shots rang out. Lodi Police Det. Eric Bradley has been placed on administrative leave while the shooting is being investigated, city spokesman Jeff Hood said."He was going after her jugular, just as he did to the victim in this case," his attorney, Chuck Pacheco, told the Lodi News-Sentinel. "He was not stopping stabbing her, going for her neck. Bradley did the right thing."

Did I read that correctly. Did a defense attorney just admit that a cop did the right thing?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Some of them are more human than you suspect, and I've met a bunch that were terrified of their clients.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by

[COLOR="Red"
    Did I read that correctly. Did a defensive attorney just admit that a cop did the right thing?[/COLOR]
    +1000 Of course that is before he files the wrongfull death and excessive force lawsuit against the Detective, the county, and the court system.
    When it comes my time to go, I hope with fervent zeal, That my merits have been proved on life's battlefield. Enough to earn me One small place of rest, Just over on the other side, Beyond the reach of death. -Ralf Grant Edens

You know how it is Striet! Sometimes doin the right thing ain't doin the right thing -HONDO

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Things like this demonstrate the need for LE to be armed in the courtroom. The Judges here make up the rules. They have decided that the only people allowed to be armed in court are the on duty bailiffs, no one else. Everyone else must leave their guns in the car.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, a certain judge tried to impose that at a district court a few years back (early in my career). When officers refused to show to court for cases and the choas that began, he was roundly smacked down by a presiding judge and that silliness went away.

Did you also read where the family defended this scrotebag, particulaly because the meth made him do it? Sheesh, society is rapidly dying.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    We cant carry guns in our court rooms here either. We have one off duty detail at the entrance that remains armed and the bailiffs here remained armed (unless they are going into and out of the courthouse holding cell. Of course there are probably some that carry their back ups concealed anyway.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    We cant carry guns in our court rooms here either. We have one off duty detail at the entrance that remains armed and the bailiffs here remained armed (unless they are going into and out of the courthouse holding cell. Of course there are probably some that carry their back ups concealed anyway.
    We used to have that policy.

One day years ago, I was in court, sitting in an aisle seat when some guy walked by me and I saw a gun butt under his jacket. He was wearing it in a cross draw fashion on the left side of the front of this pants.

I didn't recognize him as a cop, but I thought he might be from another jurisdiction who was subpeanoed and didn't know the court rules.

Then he was called as a defendant in a CCW case. He stood up before the judge, I walked up behind him, put my arm around his throat and pulled out the gun. The judge's eyes got big as saucers!

Another couple of cops in the courtroom helped me cuff him.

About two weeks later, the no guns for police was gone.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    We used to have a couple of judges that had that rule. I never understood why. Does anyone know? Is it tradition? "Respect" for the courts?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    We used to have a couple of judges that had that rule. I never understood why. Does anyone know? Is it tradition? "Respect" for the courts?

Left wing judges?

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Some of them are more human than you suspect, and I've met a bunch that were terrified of their clients.
    I have met a few defense lawyers that I actually liked and respected , Mac , but it's been my experience through the years that for the most part defense lawyers are just that for a reason and they deserve to be defense lawyers.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Left wing judges?
    That or they heard about some instance where a suspect disarmed or attempted to disarm a cop in court so they worry about the threat they can see.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    We all armed here.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Then he was called as a defendant in a CCW case. He stood up before the judge, I walked up behind him, put my arm around his throat and pulled out the gun. The judge's eyes got big as saucers!
    It was brave of you to do that while unarmed. Glad the judges let the sheepdogs bring their guns after that!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    That or they heard about some instance where a suspect disarmed or attempted to disarm a cop in court so they worry about the threat they can see.

Well, it was pretty common here years ago but it has gone by the wayside. I can remember having to ask if a judge allowed guns in his/her courtroom but I have not seen one that objected in a long time here. Surprising enough, one of the most adamant ones, a County Judge that used to throw a fit if an officer tried to wear a gun in court, wont even bat an eye now.

I just don't see the "disarm a cop" thing. If that was the case, the bailiff is usually much closer to the defendant and HE should not be armed but the officers in the courtroom should be.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It was brave of you to do that while unarmed. Glad the judges let the sheepdogs bring their guns after that!
    Not really brave, I was afraid I might be next after he shot the judge! Turned out the gun was unloaded, he was planning to pull it out and make some 2nd Amendment statement. I knew there were several other cops in the courtroom. And it was easier to do it when he still had the gun in his belt.....

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    he was planning to pull it out and make some 2nd Amendment statement
    ...Right before being shot by every bailiff in the court room

You probably saved the dumb-ass's life.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    We used to have that policy.

One day years ago, I was in court, sitting in an aisle seat when some guy walked by me and I saw a gun butt under his jacket. He was wearing it in a cross draw fashion on the left side of the front of this pants.

I didn't recognize him as a cop, but I thought he might be from another jurisdiction who was subpeanoed and didn't know the court rules.

Another couple of cops in the courtroom helped me cuff him.

About two weeks later, the no guns for police was gone.....
    You are one cool cat daddio.

BTW, here in Clayton County GA, all but a few Judges carry, and there is no, no guns for cops rule in the courthouse.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    ...Right before being shot by every bailiff in the court room

You probably saved the dumb-ass's life.
    Not very quickly. No one was supposed to be armed in the courtrooms.... We don't have armed bailiffs here. Now everyone but police officers have to go through a metal detector to enter the courthouse. Then I guess the judges thought they were so powerful that everyone would comply....

I can tell ya, that rule kept me from wearing a uniform to court. If I was going to unarmed in a room full of crooks, I'd rather not make it obvious who I am until I absolutely have to. The dumbest looking thing in the world to me is a police officer walking around with an empty holster.

I'm glad that this was an era when we were trained to be physical and weren't used to relying on three or four non-lethal weapons to subdue people. The only reason I went after the guy instead of half a dozen other cops was that I was the only one who saw the gun when he came in.

I was a bit annoyed at the judge. He called me into chambers and was all grateful and that. But when I asked him if I could have this guy's new Colt Python and let him burn my old S&W Model 15, he wouldn't do it..... Damn.....

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    We don't have armed bailiffs here.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Our bailiffs are not armed either - they are clerical.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information