Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO

13 year old girl missing in Cincinnati

Sign in | Join | Help | Feedback | Make WCPO.com your homepage On The Go: RSS | Newsletters | 9Mobile Search WCPO.com Search the Web Search Video

Police Believe Body To Be That Of Missing Girl
    Reported by: Jay Warren
    Email: jay.warren@wcpo.com
    Last Update: 10:38 am

Esme Kenney (Photo courtesy of CPD)
    Related Links
    Police Search For Missing 13-Year-Old
    Cincinnati Police discovered a deceased person in the early hours of Sunday morning along Winton Road. This is the same area that 13-year-old Esme Kenney was believed to have been jogging.

Police issued an Amber Alert Saturday afternoon after Kenney's parents told them she hadn't returned from a jog.

Her parents told police what her route was and a search began.

With the use of search dogs, a body was discovered around 3:00 a.m. in a wooded location along Winton Road south of Oakfield Avenue. Winton Road will be closed between Dutch Coloy Drive and North Bend Road until at least 6 p.m. for the investigation, officials say.

Shortly after the body was discovered, the Amber Alert was canceled.
    Esme Kenney In addition to the body police found a man they are now calling a person of interest in the death.

Police tell 9News that the Coroner's office is on the scene and will be responsible for making a positive identification of the deceased person.

Stay with 9News at WCPO.com for updates on this story throughout the day.

Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Add a Comment(17) Comments
    Save/Share Story
    digg reddit
    newsvine Google
    del.icio.us Yahoo!

This little girl was my daughters best friend. They attended school together and she has been too my house on many occassions. My daughter is a basket case and I am still trying to sort out my emotions. They have a person of interest in custody. For me this is a day being an LEO is hard. My daughter is 13 and depends on me to keep her safe from the BAD GUYS!!! What do I tell her when she askes me how I let the BAD GUY KILL HER FRIEND????
    When it comes my time to go, I hope with fervent zeal, That my merits have been proved on life's battlefield. Enough to earn me One small place of rest, Just over on the other side, Beyond the reach of death. -Ralf Grant Edens

You know how it is Striet! Sometimes doin the right thing ain't doin the right thing -HONDO

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What a horrible crime! I'm sorry for your daughter's loss. May her friend rest in peace.

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    May Esme Rest in Peace and God embrace her in His arms.
    It is so hard when it hits this close to home especially when it is a child, we all work to keep our children safe and you work extra hard at it but sometimes things are just out of our control. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your daughter through this grieving period.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    It is a horror hearing these stories, and to have it so personal, my sympathy and condolences to you, your family and espeically your daughter. Be sure to keep an eye on her, hopefully the school offers grief counseling. May her friend, Esme, Rest in Peace. I can not imagine what the family is gonig through, to have a child murdered, my heart goes out to them.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Sex offender charged in slaying
    By Amber Ellis and Eric Bradley • aellis@enquirer.com | ebradley@enquirer.com • March 9, 2009

"During the early hours of the search, officers found Kirkland in the woods. Fearing Esme had been hurt, they called in more police dogs and flew a county helicopter overhead.

The body, which the family confirmed as Esme’s, was found in the 5900 block of Winton Road. Police have not yet released details about how Esme died.

According to county criminal records, Kirkland was convicted in March 2008 of soliciting sex from a 13-year-old girl and was jailed until Oct. 20, 2008. He was convicted of two counts of unlawful restraint in 2007.

Since 2005, he has been charged but acquitted of public indecency, inducing panic, endangering children, rape and aggravated burglary.

Esme’s was one of four homicides in the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky region this weekend, including two people in Avondale and a teenager in Covington.

The youth group at Esme’s church, St. John’s Unitarian Universalist in Clifton, met Sunday to talk about the void her death has left. Emotions ranged from anger to sadness to thoughts that her death could have been prevented somehow.

“This seems so meaningless and horrific. What we tried to do is make some meaning out of this horrible tragedy,” said the minister, the Rev. Frank Carpenter.

“I tried to get them to talk about what Esme really meant to them, to say what can I take into my life, how can I change my life, so that I can make meaning in my life from how she impacted me.”

Esme majored in vocal and instrumental music at SCPA in Over-the-Rhine. She sang in a choir and was a cellist in the junior high orchestra.

She “could play every instrument she ever picked up – from cello to harmonica to finger-picking blues guitar,” Brad Kenney said.

“She had literally a ton of talents, and we were all excited to see what she’d make of herself in the years to come.”

The disappointing part, he said, is that no one will ever know.

“The best way to describe her is a little flower child,” said Laurie Wyant, who taught Esme at SCPA for three years.

“It was not uncommon for her to throw her arms around me every time she came into class. I can’t even remember a time when she was even in a bad mood or ever said anything unkind.”

Grief counselors will be available at the school Monday.

The district plans to ask the state to postpone today’s scheduled start of the Ohio Graduation Tests by one day because of the emotional toll Esme’s death will take on the school, said Cincinnati Public Schools spokeswoman Janet Walsh.

On Esme’s blog, she wrote that she loved to talk on the phone, play cello and do homework, something she admitted wasn’t a favorite among teens her age. She chronicled family trips to Washington state, Massachusetts and Canada.

Just last year, Esme told friends how excited she was to turn 12. At the time, she looked forward to ice skating at Fountain Square – even though she knew she would fall.

“That’s what life’s about,” she wrote, “falling on your butt and getting up again.”
    Funeral arrangements are pending.

The family asks that people make a donation in Esme’s name to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

“We’re hoping that our experience leads families to re-evaluate their idea of what the word ‘safe’ means where their wives and daughters are concerned. It’s a wicked world,” Brad Kenney said."

How can this man be released from jail and not be registered as a sex offender. I do believe in the Death Penalty for him.

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I heard this on the news early this morning. I am saddened by the loss of this beautiful child and Hondo I'm am so very saddened for your daughter. May Esme rest more easily now that that animal is behind bars, I hope he fries in Hell where he belongs.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Sorry brother. I hope I never have to cross that bridge. It always amazes me when as soon as something goes down it usually is a regular customer. The judicial system needs revamping.
    Un-ass my AO!!

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    Thank you all for your well wishes. I will relay all of your well wishes to the Kenney family when I see them this week.

This asshole should have never been let out of prison. His criminal record is lenghty and at the time of his arrest he was wanted on several other Felony's. This was since just October of 2008. He is also a registered sex offender and once held a knife to the throat of an 18 month old. Yet a judge still set a bond for him. Granted 5 million dollars will probably prohibit him from getting out, but whatever happened to NO BOND. I am going to stop now before I say something that I may regret. I will leave you all with this.

Esme was a sweet vibrant and beautiful young lady. She loved to sing and play Chello. She truly had a passion for physical fitness and was always running somewhere. The first time I met her I said to myself, How does someone so tiny have such a large presence? When my daughter started at SCPA (School for Creative and Performing Arts) Esme was one of the first students who greeted her and immediately accepted and ushered her into her group of friends. They had been great friends every since. For all of us in Law Enforcement or who have ever been in the military you can understand the since of family that these groups have. The students at SCPA are much like this. They spend so much time together that they form life long bonds and literaly become more like family then friends. My daughter with the assistance of Esme was in the process of planning her 13th birthday party. They were looking forward to the party much like sisters would. My only solace in this tragedy right now is that I believe that while Bri has lost a friend she has gained a gaurdian angle.

Thank you all for allowing me to vent and to share with you a little about Esme...

R.I.P. Esme Kenney 01-07-1996 - 03-08-2009 You have touched us all!!
    When it comes my time to go, I hope with fervent zeal, That my merits have been proved on life's battlefield. Enough to earn me One small place of rest, Just over on the other side, Beyond the reach of death. -Ralf Grant Edens

You know how it is Striet! Sometimes doin the right thing ain't doin the right thing -HONDO

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers en-route.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Hondo, I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter's friend. Thank you for telling us about what a great kid she was. You're right, your daughter has lost a friend but she has gained a guardian angel. My condolences to all.

A Guardian Angel she will surely be for Bri and my heart and prayers go out to Esme's family.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What a beautiful description of Esme and her friendship with your daughter. Condolences.

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My thoughts and prayers go out to both you and your daughter. Hopefully the kind words from everyone on O/R can bring you some level of comfort during such a tragic time.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hondo, thoughts and prayers are with your family, and her's.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Oh how sad....

My prayers out to the family and to your family Hondo especially to your daughter
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My condolences to all who have been touched by Esme and hope that all affected can get through this. It appears that she was an exceptional young lady and it hurts to see or hear something as devastating as this.

Pedophiles can never be rehabilitated. Whoever thinks they can are just fooling themselves. They need to put this poor excuse of a human being in with the general prison population. I'm sure he will be taken care of by the inmates.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    Thank you all very much for the well wishes in this time of tragedy. I will admit that I was not doing well early this week, but your thoughts and prayers have really helped me and my family. There was a beautifull memorial service for Esme held at the Aronoff Center last night. This service went very far in helping everyone come to grips with what happened and gave them an outlet to deal with their emotions and for one last time to celebrate with Esme. I know with all my heart that her spirit was there with us...

Now the sad truth of this story is that it could have been prevented. This guy committed his first Murder and Arson when he was 18 years old and was paroled after serving only 16 years. He has wracked up numerous felony charges since that time. Unfortunatly for whatever reason most of them ended in an auquital. His last 2 conviction resulted in only a 12 month sentence because the judge did not make him serve the sentences consecutivly. Low and behold he was released after serving 6 months were he picked up where he left off committing more crimes. At the time of his arrest he was wanted on three outstanding felony warrants. The kicker here is he was staying in a half way house for sex offenders when he committed the crimes that led to the warrants being issued. The day before he kidnapped, sexually assaulted and murdered Esme he was "KICKED OUT" of the halfway house for fighting. There was no call to the Police. No call to his Parole Officer. No warrant check conducted prior to kicking him out (even though most felons committ another offense within six months of their release). Any one of these 30 second telephone calls could have saved Esme from spending the last hour of her young life in shere terror. ONE FREAKIN PHONE CALL I guess the staff of the facility were to busy playing Nintendo WII

I spoke with Esmes older brother Berri this morning. The family is doing as well as can be expected. I told him that Esme has friends and well wishers that she didn't even know and we were all praying for her...

Thread Information