MSNBC reporting 6 dead at least.
    In the following Alabama cities: Kinston, Samson, & Geneva

At least 10 dead in two-town Alabama shooting spree - CNN.com

Multiple deaths reported in Ala. shooting spree - Crime & courts- msnbc.com
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    A deputy's wife and child are among the victims.

Eight people were reported dead in Alabama last night—including the wife and child of a police officer—after a gun massacre that brought back grim memories of other atrocities in Columbine, Colorado, and Blacksburg, Virginia.

According to local media reports, a lone gunman began the massacre in Samson, a town of 2,000 in the southeastern part of the state, near the Florida border, and continued it in nearby Geneva, with at least one victim being targeted along the way on Highway 52.

It is thought that the gunman first killed five people at a mobile home in Samson, then shot a man apparently at random as he was walking along a pavement, then drove to a Big/Little store, where he opened fire again.

He continued his killing spree at a nearby Bradley True-Value Hardware store, before setting off for Geneva—twice as populated as Samson—reportedly firing at vehicles along the way.

It was when the shooter was sitting in his parked car outside a Wal-Mart in Geneva, firing randomly at the customers, that police finally caught up with him.

A detective, Ricky Morgan, rammed him with his pick-up truck while Geneva’s police chief, Frankie Lindsey, crept up on the vehicle. Mr Lindsey was shot in the arm and later hospitalised.

A witness, Soleta Darden, told a local newspaper: “I heard five shots to my right, and then I looked up and saw a maroon Eclipse [car] speed off from the scene, then I saw deputies and troopers in pursuit after him. I was just scared, crazy scared. I thought, ‘what the crap is going on’?”

Alina Knowles described the scene. “You want to talk about a horrific scene,” she said. “You see what I saw. I went to get the baby. There was blood all over that porch. The baby was covered in her mother’s blood.”

The suspect reportedly fled down Highway 27, where he stopped at a store named Reliable Metal Products and was confronted by a local gamekeeper named Joel Hendren, and another police officer, Tony Helms.

There was a shootout, and the gunman ran into the building, where 500 employees were working, and then apparently shot himself fatally.

“Five were killed in a trailer in Samson,” said a police spokesman in Birmingham, Alabama, last night. “Two more died in the Big and Little Store in Geneva. The suspect died in the Reliable store in Geneva. It is uncertain whether he killed himself or was killed by one of the sheriffs. He shot at several vehicles on the highway and then he shot at Wal-Mart and Piggly Wiggly in Geneva.”

“He was shooting anyone he saw,” said Geneva’s mayor, Wynnton Melton. Harri Smith, an Alabama state Senator, added: “This was probably one of the worst instances [of this kind of violence] in Alabama history, at least in the last several years."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    First I've heard of this.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Right now in the LEO field, they are reporting the Geneva Police Chief was shot but not seriously, and that a Sheriff's deputy's wife and child were shot and killed.

They are also saying they are getting word now that there is something possibly related that happened in Coffeeville, AL earlier today, but they haven't advised what that is. Coffeeville isn't all that close to this, although it is a drivable distance.

I believe the Chief of police for Coffeeville is a member on here, can't think of his username at the moment.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Deputy, Chief, and the communities involved.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    How horrible. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    May the dead rest in peace. Thoughts to their friends and families.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    That's terrible. My prayers are with those poor people and their families....

Now we wait for the gun control crowd to raise it's shrill voice.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the fallen. I can't imagine what that Deputy is going through at this moment. I know if it were me, I would need a lot of help.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Condolences brother! Here come the anti's.
    Un-ass my AO!!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    This is extremetly sad for everyone.

This is one day after a Quaduple homicide in Hueytown, Alabama.

Suspect Scott Lamar Abbott, age 24, will be in court today in Bessemer, Alabama. Police in Hueytown, AL believe Abbott murdered William Chad Gilbert, 31, Nika Sandlin, age 24, 26-year-old Joshua Gilleo and Jeri Lynn Cole, age 27.
    Scott Abbott lived in the residence where the murders occurred up till a few weeks ago, when he was told to leave.

Authorities believe Abbott wasn't happy with that arrangement, to say the least. They think the 6'7" male stripper entered the home where the murders occurred around 3 a.m. Saturday. He stabbed each victim several times, creating what one veteran cop termed "one of the most horrific" crime scenes he'd ever seen.
    Then, fortunately for justice, Abbott pulled an idiot move and showed up at a hospital in Gadsden, Alabama. Hospital staff found his excuse for his own knife wounds a little suspect and called Gadsden police. The Gadsden PD eventually delivered Abbott to the Hueytown police.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Right now in the LEO field, they are reporting the Geneva Police Chief was shot but not seriously, and that a Sheriff's deputy's wife and child were shot and killed.

They are also saying they are getting word now that there is something possibly related that happened in Coffeeville, AL earlier today, but they haven't advised what that is. Coffeeville isn't all that close to this, although it is a drivable distance.

I believe the Chief of police for Coffeeville is a member on here, can't think of his username at the moment.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Deputy, Chief, and the communities involved.
    AP Top News at 11:00 p.m. EDT
    1 hour ago
    SAMSON, Ala. (AP) — A coroner says the suspect in a shooting rampage that killed at least 10 people in south Alabama began his day of bloodshed by burning down his mother's house where officials found her body. Coffee County Coroner Robert Preachers says officials have not been able to enter the house outside of Kinston to determine if she was shot. Preachers says the suspect then went to nearby Samson and killed his grandparents, aunt and uncle.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Opportunity and a full magazine instead of unarmed innocent people next time is all I ask Lord.
    What a senseless act.......
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggon View Post
    Condolences brother! Here come the anti's.

Yep, I'm hearing he used an SKS and a Bushmaster, so you know the (tongue in cheek here) evil assualt weapon killed those people and not the nut.

Trooper gave an interview to the press about the "assault weapons" and high capcity mags.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    Have they released suspect info yet?
    When it comes my time to go, I hope with fervent zeal, That my merits have been proved on life's battlefield. Enough to earn me One small place of rest, Just over on the other side, Beyond the reach of death. -Ralf Grant Edens

You know how it is Striet! Sometimes doin the right thing ain't doin the right thing -HONDO

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    This will give the liberals something to talk about when it comes to proposed gun control crap
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here is a link identifying the shooter:
    Geneva County gunman 'cleaned his family out' in rampage - CBS 42

I am hearing that he was an expert marksman, and that he had received "police training" in 2003. He was also using a shotgun and a handgun. I can see the handgun part being correct since there are stories of some rounds being stopped the vest(s) worn by officers. I have also heard, but not verified that the shooter was also wearing body armor. This is what I am hearing on the radio. As I find links I will post them up.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Alabama Shooter Abruptly Quit Job Last Week

Alabama Shooter Michael McLendon Was 'Quiet'

Alabama Shooter Often 'Kept To Himself,' Had Quit Job Last Week

By EMILY FRIEDMAN

March 11, 2009 —

The gunman who turned a rural stretch of Alabama into a slaughterhouse was a "quiet " guy who was briefly a member of a small town police department.
    Michael McLendon, 27, of Kinston, Ala., was described by former high school classmates and others who knew him as a former A student who "never had very much to say."
    Until last week, McLendon was working at Kelley Foods, a sausage manufacturer and food distributor in nearby Elba., Ala. He abruptly quit last Wednesday.
    "Michael was employed from July 27, 2007, until he voluntary quit on Wednesday of last week," said Erik Ennis, a spokesman for Kelley Foods Inc.
    Ennis declined to say whether McLendon, who killed 10 people Tuesday in a rampage that targeted members of his family as well as strangers, had given a reason for leaving his job.
    According to Ennis, McLendon had worked in the store's manufacturing division and was a "reliable team member."
    "Michael by nature was a quiet person that never had very much to say. He just did his job," said Ennis.
    "He was liked by his co-workers and worked well with others," he added.
    At a news conference in Geneva, Ala., today Alabama Bureau of Investigation Chief Jerry Connor said that McLendon was briefly a Samson police officer, but failed to complete the training and left the job.
    Cecil Knowles, who lives in Samson, Ala., said he graduated from Samson High School in 1999 beside McLendon, and also knew him to be reserved.
    "He was always very quiet," said Knowles, who said that with only 36 students in the graduating senior class everyone was "close like a family."
    "He was an A student and had no problems. He never got into any trouble," said Knowles. "He stuck to himself a lot of the time."
    Knowles said that after graduation he "never heard from McLendon again" except from seeing him occasionally around town.
    "I never would have expected [McLendon] to do anything like this," said Knowles. "I'm shocked."
    A receptionist at Samson High School said she was being inundated by media requests and declined to answer questions about McLendon.
    Neighbors told ABCNews.com that McLendon had also worked at the Reliable Metal Products Factory in Geneva, Ala., the same location where he ended his shooting spree several years ago.
    Investigators who have been following the 24-mile trail of death led by McLendon are still unsure as to what set the shooter off.
    "He cleaned his family out," Coffee County coroner Robert Preachers said. "We don't know what triggered it."
    Alabama state trooper John Reese told "Good Morning America" this morning, "We are still unclear of what caused the incident."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm afraid this is going to turn into a gun grab excuse also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    RDS, remember when you said the Dems would wait for a significant gun tragedy before using the political capital to push for a new AWB? This might be it.

Prayers to all involved.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information