Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Photo Motorists Seeing Red over Red Light Cameras

New Carrolton, Md. - The town of New Carrolton's new mobile red light cameras are snapping up pictures like the paparazzi and motorists are calling the cameras out.
    Danielle King got two tickets and says she's been wrongly accused. "I got caught by one up there," says King referring to the cameras along route 450.
    Motorists complain they are being wrongly accused. King says," I think they need to go away. I just think they are unfair. They need to go away."

Fox 5 camera's stood at one intersection near 85th Avenue and caught the camera popping off like popcorn.
    75 dollar citations. One motorist shared his ticket.
    He got cited in his white van, but a closer look at the ticket shows the vehicle is at a complete stop. Complaints are pouring in.
    AAA Mid-Atlantic's John Townsend says it appears drivers are getting ticketed; not for running the red light, but for stopping over the white line.
    Townsend blasted the camera saying, "This is the most egregious one we've seen. It is so beyond the pale. It not only violated the spirit of the law it violates the letter of the law. It may be illegal in the state of Maryland. "
    During a short period, the camera flashs continually went off when cars were at a complete stop. We asked one motorist, "Did you go past the red light." The unidentified driver said, "no I didn't, I'm still stopped here at the red light. If I went thru then you wouldn't be talking to me know. The camera went off. So am I going to get a ticket? Oh no. "
    Townsend said, "These people legally stopped for a red light, but they ventured into this box and they consider that technically to be red light running and it's not. It smacks of I got you; a game just for money"
    As the camera snapped another picture, we asked another motorist, "Do you realize you just got a red light ticket. The unidentified woman said, "You've got to be kidding. You are kidding. Did you pass the red light? No!"
    Some say it's not just a camera, but a cash cow--snapping up photos of unsuspecting motorist.
    Townsend said many motorists don't even contest the tickets, in fact one woman confirmed that saying; "if I got it I wouldn't fight it no. If the camera is set to do it that way I just have to pay the ticket.
    Townsend admits he's one of those recently ticketed, but he fought it.
    Fox 5 made an effort to talk with the New Carrollton Police Department and the city about the issue.
    The chief said he'll answer questions during office hours.
    Triple A says they've received numerous complaints from several cities using the mobile red light cameras along the Route 450 corridor; including Bladensburg and Riverdale.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    These cameras are complete shit.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I agree with have, we have about 10 or so set up at intersections and we also have the speed vans...................... The other night a speed van caught a speeder and if you have been caught you know it by the friggin blinding light it sends your way. Well the driver turned around and stopped at the van, the idiot camera operator got out of the van and the speeder grabbed him and or pushed him down. The operator then took of running, Mr. speeder decides to ram the van several times with his truck, sending the van into a ditch.........................

Mr. speeder turned himself into our department several days later..................too friggin funny, well i guess I should say, I'm glad nobody got hurt.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    These cameras are complete shit.
    x1000
    When it comes my time to go, I hope with fervent zeal, That my merits have been proved on life's battlefield. Enough to earn me One small place of rest, Just over on the other side, Beyond the reach of death. -Ralf Grant Edens

You know how it is Striet! Sometimes doin the right thing ain't doin the right thing -HONDO

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I dunno. We have one in my little town. Prior to the red light camera, there was always broken glass and plastic in the middle of the intersection. Now it's pretty rare. I'm glad they put that one it, that was a horrible intersection previously. Probably one in five times I was waiting for it to turn green, some moron would run it dead cold, as often as not in a big semi.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    These things actuall cause accidents (red light cameras). The government intities have been known to shorten yellow light timers to up the revenue. The revenue is shared with the camera companies (wish I got a piece of every ticket I wrote, but imagine how that would play out). You do not get to face your complainant in court. There is no burden to prove guilt, you have to prove yourself innocent. Most of the areas where these are used there are no points on your license you just pay a fine. I assume to encourage people not to fight them. I hear China has a similar justice system....plead guilty and we won't kill you.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Yeah I don't care for red light cameras either. The shady issues that 5-0 brings up are a big part. Also I have a problem with the registered owner getting a ticket for something they may have no control over if they are not driving.

There is a rumor that we are soon to get red light cameras here. It's supposed to be a way to make up for money lost when the state passed a property tax relief bill.

I still think I got away with one at a speed camera in MD last year. I saw the flash from the camera but never got a ticket. I think between my curved plastic license plate holder and the morning dew, that the camera probably could not read my plate.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    These things actuall cause accidents (red light cameras).
    When Portland first put them in, the number of rear enders went up. But that was temporary and the numbers went back to normal after about a year or two. It did reduce the number of t-bone wrecks quite a bit though.

We had one intersection in Portland that was so bad that before red light cameras, they put a strobe on the yellow light to get people to stop. After about 6 months, the crashes there diminish remarkably. At least this is what I was told by the cop in traffic division that kept accident stats.

I can't speak for any other entity, but here and in Portland, the yellow light times stayed the same. It's really not that much of a money maker, Red Flex, the company that installs them gets a big chunk of the money. And in Portland, the city doesn't have a municipal court so they don't get a lot of money from traffic fines anyway.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Ask ANY jurisdiction that has these: where does the collected fines go to?

I have yet to find ANY jurisdiction that has it go to something other than the general fund. That smacks of revenue generation in lieu of hiring bodies to do the work. If I saw these fines actually going to equipment, salaries or even intersection improvements, maybe I could get on board. But it bothers me greatly that they are for fattening up city, county and town budgets.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Ask ANY jurisdiction that has these: where does the collected fines go to?

I have yet to find ANY jurisdiction that has it go to something other than the general fund. That smacks of revenue generation in lieu of hiring bodies to do the work. If I saw these fines actually going to equipment, salaries or even intersection improvements, maybe I could get on board. But it bothers me greatly that they are for fattening up city, county and town budgets.
    I agree in that ALL traffic fines go into a general fund. In fact a lot of small towns around here use their police as ATM's which pisses me off to a huge degree.

But from what I've learned from a friend of mine works for a nearby Dept., the company installing them gets a huge chunk of the fine revenue. Here it's Red Flex. They're not really all that financially lucrative for governments.

It could well be different in other areas, I dunno.

Thread Information