Welcome to the APBWeb.
    JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Police agencies buried in resumes

Police agencies buried in resumes - USATODAY.com

By Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY
    Job seekers are swamping federal, state and local police agencies during the economic downturn, a reversal from recent years when departments struggled to find qualified recruits.

Police chiefs expect the new prospects, many of them highly experienced and victims of corporate cutbacks, will be better suited to fill a range of public safety jobs, from dispatchers to beat cops.

"We're talking about people who have been in the workforce for a long time," Houston Police Chief Harold Hurtt says. "They know what being part of a team means and are more mature about the world of work."

The FBI, which said in December it would hire about 3,000 agents and staffers, is sorting through 227,000 applications, the largest such response in its history. Among the usual accountants, military veterans and recent college graduates are computer technicians and financial executives. A Washington chef and two National Football League players also expressed interest in jobs.

"This year, there is great appeal in government work," says Gwendolyn Hubbard, who is overseeing the bureau's hiring for jobs paying $35,000 to $153,000, with health care and retirement plans. "People are attracted by the benefits and job security."
    FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | Las Vegas | Justice Department | National Football League | Phoenix Police Department

Despite the many applicants, the FBI is running ads for agent jobs in part because about 50% fail background checks, she says. Advertising for the recent hiring program cost less than $1 million, FBI spokesman Mike Kortan says.

Among other law enforcement agencies seeing lots of applicants:

ē In Las Vegas, car salesmen, mortgage brokers and construction workers ó representing some of the nation's most troubled industries ó want to help keep the peace in America's playground.

Normally, about 280 prospects take the entrance test each month. That rose to 400 in the past few months, says police Lt. Blake Quackenbush. A 69-year-old man who "out-ran a lot of younger people" and two chiropractors recently took the exam.

ē Houston's Police Chief Hurtt says his agency has been getting about 200 more applications a month since late last year. He sees evidence of better-qualified officers. Cadets that graduated from the local police academy last week posted the highest combined score on academic tests of any class in city history. One of the cadets also broke the record for most consecutive push-ups: 1,100.

ē The Phoenix Police Department set an annual record for the most applicants last year ó 4,000 ó before the hiring program was shut down in October because of budget cuts. "The economy had to play a part in this," Sgt. Forrest Vincent says, though he also credits the agency's aggressive recruiting.

Police agencies are among the few employers still hiring. When the Justice Department invited local agencies to apply for a share of $1 billion in stimulus funding to hire more officers, its website got 19,000 inquiries within a week.

"It's been unbelievable," says Justice Department spokesman Corey Ray.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It just keeps getting harder for those of us trying to get a LEO job =(

I'm testing at a dept today, 400 applicants for one position.

Lovely.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Maybe things move to this area more slowly, but we are not seeing it. We are having trouble filling 4 slots with qualified people and it's not the agency. We start at good pay, have good equipment, and enough going on to keep a rook interested.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yeah we're not seeing it either.

In my opinion we're already understaffed without the budget problems, and we have 3 retiring this year, and none of those positions are expected to be filled due to budget cuts.

We have our fingers crossed for two cops grants.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The promise of larger government always brings those seeking 'job security'. Once they weed out the hoppers, histories, and headcases, the pool will be thinner.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    well i just took the post test here last month and it was a full @$$ room. With how easy the test was i am assuming 99% passed. Add all that to the pool thats already out there applying and I am sure most openings in MN are gonna get a ton of PPL applying.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    We are having a problem keeping our people as they proceed through their training, it's un friggin beleavable. In fact we had one transfer from a college police department, he finishes everything and it assigned to a squad in the north portion of the city, i.e. drugs and alot of calls. He decides to quit befoire even showing up.

At one point we were having a waiting list, but I just heard we are now 27 officers short, dammit. But then I shouldn't be saying anything because I am hopefully going to make that number 28........................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I really didnt need to hear this...I am trying to move.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Y
    We have our fingers crossed for two cops grants.
    I wouldn't. The funding is for a limited time. When Clinton came out with the COPS program, my city refused the money. But the town I live in hired three people with it. When the money expired, there was no city money to pay them. A lot of cops got laid off when the federal funding ran out.

I just got a glimpse of Obama talking on TV in front of 25 newly, federally funded cops in some city. What he didn't say was that the funding to pay them was only good for a year. If the agency doesn't get more money on it's own, most of them will be on the street at the end of the year.

Feds should stay out of local government stuff unless it's to buy equipment or a capital improvement.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Maybe things move to this area more slowly, but we are not seeing it. We are having trouble filling 4 slots with qualified people and it's not the agency. We start at good pay, have good equipment, and enough going on to keep a rook interested.
    Yeah, you notice that the article only used feds or big cities as examples?

We don't see it here either. Though my dept. has issues and is not one of the desired spots. I only think people would apply if they are from here or want to use the dept. to get the academy under their belts and try to jump to another dept. And my dept. has not really even tried to hire much at all lately. But I've not heard of increased applications anywhere around here. Though that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't happening.

Another possible reason for increased numbers in bigger depts. is that in certain areas, they may be the only depts. that are still hiring at all. Many depts. have hiring freezes because of budget concerns. So it would make sense that if only one or a few big cities in an area are hiring, and the smaller ones aren't, that more people will be trying for the big ones.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information