Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Paraplegic man bitten by brown recluse spider can now walk again

He has been confined to a wheelchair for 20 years. Now a paraplegic man is walking again, and his doctors call it a miracle. CBS13 went to Manteca to find out how a spider bite helped get him back on his feet.

"I closed my eyes and then I was spinning like a flying saucer," explains David Blancarte.

A motorcycle accident almost killed David 21 years ago. At the time he might have wished he was dead.

"I asked my doctor, 'Sir what happened? I can't feel my legs'," said David.

Ever since, David's been relying on his wheelchair to get around. Then the spider bite. A Brown Recluse sent him to the hospital, then to rehab for eight months.

"I'm here for a spider bite. I didn't know I would end up walking," says David.

A nurse noticed David's leg spasm and ran a test on him.

"When they zapped my legs, I felt the current, I was like 'whoa' and I yelled," he says.

He felt the current and the rush of a renewed sense of hope.

"She says,'your nerves are alive. They're just asleep'," explained David.

Five days later David was walking.

"I was walking on the bar back and forth," he said.

Now David is out of the hospital and on his feet and walking.

David basks in his glory and gives a ray of hope to other hoping to walk again. The 48-year-old former boxer and dancer is taking it in stride, knowing his best days are still ahead.

David's dream is to see his 14-year-old twin daughters grow up and get married so he can walk them down the aisle and have that first dance.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Maybe one more bite and he'll be fighting crime!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I wonder what caused that...
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    WoW that has to be a Miracle!!
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I wonder what caused that...
    I'm not doctor but it could have been a number of things, I'm sure. IMO it's probably just a fantastic coinsidence.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I'm not doctor but it could have been a number of things, I'm sure. IMO it's probably just a fantastic coinsidence.
    Yeah, I think the poison of the brown recluse attacks the flesh, not the nervous system. A friend of mine got bit by one and the meat of his leg started to rot at the site of the bite.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    WOW!!! I didn't know that the brown recluse spider was a native to California. Especially near my area. I always thought that they frequented the Southern US States. They must be doing wonders in Rehab here.

Paraplegic Man Suffers Spider Bite, Walks Again - cbs13.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Maybe one more bite and he'll be fighting crime!
    Maybe he can also shoot spidey string from his wrists and swing from building to building like one of our favorite super heroes. What was his name again? Peter Parker?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wouldn't it be quite the thing if after all these years of debating stem cell research, especially fetal, if the answer to the nerve repair part of that issue had been overlooked because the money had gone to pet projects instead of broad research?

Or maybe I just don't like science being directed by popular interest, including political. Probably that's it. Either way, I hope this case is investigated and doesn't end up being written off as a feel good human interest story and forgotten because it lacks that sort pet project status.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Wouldn't it be quite the thing if after all these years of debating stem cell research, especially fetal, if the answer to the nerve repair part of that issue had been overlooked because the money had gone to pet projects instead of broad research?

Or maybe I just don't like science being directed by popular interest, including political. Probably that's it. Either way, I hope this case is investigated and doesn't end up being written off as a feel good human interest story and forgotten because it lacks that sort pet project status.
    I was thinking about the same thing.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    WOW!!! I didn't know that the brown recluse spider was a native to California.
    Nope, my friend was bit up here in Orygun.....

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    WOW!!! I didn't know that the brown recluse spider was a native to California. Especially near my area. I always thought that they frequented the Southern US States.
    When I was attending civilian school right before I got out of the Navy , I noticed another E-6 with a pronounced limp in my class. During a smoke and coke break , I struck up a conversation with him and learned he was going through a medical discharge. He told me that he was in his backyard doing yard work when one of the little bastards crawled up his pants leg and bit him on the jewels. By the time medical personnel figured out what was going on , they had to cut his entire package off to save his life. He was really struggling with it mentally saying things like " when I use to be a MAN" etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he later committed suicide. This occurred in San Diego by the way.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    He was really struggling with it mentally saying things like " when I use to be a MAN" etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he later committed suicide. This occurred in San Diego by the way.
    That's terrible. That has so little to do with being a man in reality.

My friend was surprised that when he got to the ER here, the doctor immediately knew what the bite was from and they had the serum on hand. I guess it's not that rare up here.

mike01 is offline patrol deputy
    Verified LEO
    My brother died last year from complications of spinal cord injury. He was paralyzed from the neck down due to a car accident. It took 14 years for the injury to take him. Over the years his body transformed from normal to very un-normal. I cannot imagine how a spider bite could heal a man in that condition, after that many years in a chair, in such a quick amount of time. Sounds like a miracle,but medically,it sounds impossible. If true,all i can say is wow,and i hope he enjoys his new legs.
    Please do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I'm very sorry about your brother, mike01.

Thread Information