Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO

Fired overweight cop gets job back.

Bellevue police officer's firing overturned

A former Bellevue police officer fired for being overweight could be back patrolling the streets in a few months.
    The Nebraska Court of Appeals, in an opinion released Tuesday, reversed the Bellevue Civil Service Commission’s decision upholding the termination of Christopher D. Parent.

Parent, 52, had been a member of the Police Department for more than 25 years, mostly as a detective, but had been reassigned to road patrol. His firing stemmed from his performance during an Aug. 28 combat shooting exercise, which prompted fellow officers to report him to the command staff.

Parent was fired in 2007, after an internal investigation determined that he had not maintained a “high level of physical, mental and emotional conditioning.”

Bellevue Police Lt. Mark Elbert has said Parent, whose 2005-issued Nebraska driver’s license listed him at 5-foot-9 and 300 pounds, was fired under a policy that requires officers to be physically fit.

The court’s opinion states that under the Bellevue Police Department policy used to justify Parent’s firing, Parent satisfied the only objective standard imposed.

The court said he maintained “at least a ‘fair’ level of physical wellness pursuant to the standards contained within the . . . Department’s Wellness Program Manual.”

Michael Polk, an attorney representing the city, said that paragraph in the policy since has been removed.

“It was a policy that was part of an outdated wellness program, and it was removed because of that,” he said. Polk said it was standard for officers to self-report by filling out a sheet detailing how they stayed healthy and fit.

“It wasn’t something that was officially audited,” he said.

The current policy says, “Police Officers are called upon to perform a variety of tasks that require physical endurance and agility. This dictates that officers maintain a high level of physical, mental and emotional conditioning, which can only be acquired through regular exercise, proper diet and utilizing time.”

The City of Bellevue could let the case go — and Parent would be reinstated in a few months — or send the case to the Nebraska Supreme Court for further review, putting Parent’s job back on the line.

Polk said he was disappointed by the decision and unsure what avenue the city would take.

“Parent’s termination was reversed on a policy technicality,” he said. “This reversal is much like when criminal convictions are overturned on legal technicalities. It is ironic that an individual sworn to uphold the law uses a policy technicality to continue to ignore his personal physical condition, like a criminal using a loophole in the law to escape punishment.”

Steve Delaney, Parent’s attorney, said Parent is excited about the decision and eager to get back to work.

“He’s been a police officer his entire adult life,” he said. “He has been and always wants to be a Bellevue police officer and is looking forward to going back.”

Delaney would not comment on Parent’s current weight or detail what he has been doing since his termination.

Bellevue Police Chief John Stacey was unavailable for comment.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Caveman,

Didn't Washington county can a deputy some years ago because he was too fat to chase a guy that escaped from his custody outside the jail?

I've gotten into a lot of arguments over this, but I simply can't see obesity as a disability. Everyone that's told me they had a "gland problem" did so as they wolfed down three Big Mac's.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post

I've gotten into a lot of arguments over this, but I simply can't see obesity as a disability. Everyone that's told me they had a "gland problem" did so as they wolfed down three Big Mac's.

Should they be allowed to lose there jobs for it?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post

I think a better question is should the public or his fellow officers be put at risk because of him,

His firing stemmed from his performance during an Aug. 28 combat shooting exercise, which prompted fellow officers to report him to the command staff.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    If it's a matter of physical ability or fitness as part of the job description or condition of employment, YES!

Let's extrapolate this: employers can and have terminated employees for drug and/or alcohol use or abuse due to the specific signed agreements not to engage in those behaviors or actions while on the job.

Easy way for the PD and city to solve this problem: follow the military model. Yearly physical fitness tests, weight standards for height and gender and build, specified exemptions for those with legitimate problems (such as folks who balloon when taking certain cancer meds or other medications).

I think this slug is a shame to our profession. Yeah, we have big folks in our business and I am hardly Adonis. But my employer expects me to be able to do the job, which includes physical exertion. I sincerely doubt this fellow can hot foot after someone, or perform extended ground fighting and so on.

Verified LEO
    Would you like a lardass like that coming to back you up in a beef? I used to work next to a great guy, but when we met for coffee, he not only had coffee, but pancakes with extra butter. That wasn't his meal, that was a snack. I liked the guy a lot, but we got into a couple of go 'rounds in bars with drunks and it took him about 10 seconds to be completely out of breath. Essentially, I was on my own after that, but on paper it looked like there were two of us there.

I don't know that everyone has to be in superb physical condition, but there is a reasonable expectation.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Would you like a lardass like that coming to back you up in a beef? I used to work next to a great guy, but when we met for coffee, he not only had coffee, but pancakes with extra butter. That wasn't his meal, that was a snack. I liked the guy a lot, but we got into a couple of go 'rounds in bars with drunks and it took him about 10 seconds to be completely out of breath. Essentially, I was on my own after that, but on paper it looked like there were two of us there.

I don't know that everyone has to be in superb physical condition, but there is a reasonable expectation.

I'm impartial here. Just asking the question...which you still haven't answered directly. Yes or no?

Verified LEO
    I'm impartial here. Just asking the question...which you still haven't answered directly. Yes or no?
    I think he should be put in a desk position and given a reasonable time to lose the weight. If he refuses or is unable, can him.

I would then put in a policy that annually does a reasonable physical test. It doesn't have to be something as stringent as the military, but something that morbidly obese people couldn't pass. You can't really go by height/weight, we had some body builders that were off the chart on that, but in excellent shape. Those that couldn't pass would be given a reasonable time to lose the weight. I think if done right, it could pass a court test if you demonstrate the need to have them physically able to do the job. As long as we can give physical agility test before hiring, we should be able to enforce ongoing tests.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    You can't really go by height/weight, we had some body builders that were off the chart on that, but in excellent shape.
    Supposedly, years ago Herschel Walker (the football player) wanted to join the FBI, but he wouldn't have been able to pass the height/weight deal (if I recall, he was something like 5'10", 230 lbs), so he was told not to even bother. Since then, the FBI has instituted a body comp test IF the prospective agent is outside the height/weight ratio (if you exceed the level, then you're body fat has to be below the prescribed level). Turns out, Herschel was a crazy-ass anyway, but you get the point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I've seen the video of the training this guy was fired over. He literally could not stand up after shooting from a kneeling position. It took him like 3 or 4 tries and a breather before he could stand up from a kneeling position. I actually felt sorry for him, but at the same time he's useless in anything physical if he can't even get to his feet if he gets knocked down.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    to me, the bottom line is that this is sometimes a very physical profession...not every cop needs to be able to crank out 100 pushups and run a mile in 6 minutes, but they outta be able to perform the necessary functions of this job. I'm in better shape now than I was when I started, and I workout daily so that I can say that for a long time. I do it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is so that I don't let my partners down when it's "go time." If this guy doesn't have enough self-respect to get into better shape, then he should have enough respect for his fellow cops to do it for them. I wish our department had yearly PFTs, but that'll never happen (our swat team won't even do that because some of the olds complain that if the assignment requires a certain level of fitness, they'd want duty time to work out).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    We have a madatory yearly physical test (PAT) that we must pass or we get yanked from our job. For the next three months you are put down with our training dept to get in shape..and become the bitch boy/girl during that time doing anything that needs done (moving offices, weeding, painting whatever...). You can retest anytime during the 3 months and if you pass..great..you go back to work..and if you dont at the end of three months..they can let you go. Havent had that happen yet..the firing thing but we have had people pulled off their job.

In all seriousness, it is not that hard...involves a little bit of running, some obstacles and some getting in and out of a car.

In regards to this story...this is not a desk job..this requires you to be able to get out of your own way and help another officer...and frankly from what I heard about him not being able to get up after shooting in the kneeling position...no thanks. I need you to be my back-up...not a hinderance.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Not just the physical side, but what type of picture does he project to the community? If you were a "bad guy" and saw him struggling to extracate himself from a patrol car, would you be seriously nervous or would you just laugh and drive on knowing the amount of time it would take him to pour himself back into his vehicle? Having been large at one time I know how difficult it can be to lose the weight, but self-respect alone should be an incentive.

Having said all that, I feel that he should be given the opportunity to lose the weight, if he doesn't improve after a certain amount of time, then he should be let go. Health risks and officer safety alone should prompt him to at least try to lose the weight. Oh ya, he needs a haircut too, lol.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Q: Hey do you know what fat people do in the summer?
    A: Stink
    Un-ass my AO!!

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    I've seen the video of the training this guy was fired over. He literally could not stand up after shooting from a kneeling position. It took him like 3 or 4 tries and a breather before he could stand up from a kneeling position. I actually felt sorry for him, but at the same time he's useless in anything physical if he can't even get to his feet if he gets knocked down.
    Care to post the video?
    Un-ass my AO!!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Not just the physical side, but what type of picture does he project to the community?... Oh ya, he needs a haircut too, lol.
    Yeah, he also needs to be forced to have a taylor do an overhaul on his suit.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

BigDawg is offline K-9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I dont agree with the height/weight requirement. Those charts are waaaaaay off from reality. Im 6'2" tall and weigh 220lbs, Im in no way an athlete but Im in good shape. My resting heart rate is 45-55 and BP is always around 120/80. But according to the hight/weight chart my top weight should be 180-190 depending on what chart you look at. If I lost 30lbs to be in accordence with that chart I would look sickly. When I was in the hospitol and going through the cancer surgery I went down to about 210lbs and was told by several co-workers that I looked bad and needed to get my weight back up.

On a side note I dont have a problem with yearly PT tests as long as they are reasonable to the job.
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper

Some people are meant to be the police......Some people are meant to call the police!!!

"Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it."
    -Ronald Reagan

" I believe that forgiving them (Terrorist) is God's function. OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
    General Norman Schwartzkopf

Not all Muslims are Terrorists, but all Terrorists are Muslim.
    (author unknown)

The statements posted by BigDawg DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, or procedures of the author's employing agency. These statements are the personal opinions of BigDawg only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the user name of BigDawg. The opinions expressed by BigDawg are protected by the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. BigDawg’s messages are intended to invoke thought and discussion among the "Officer Resources" forum community and may not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author. BigDawg’s posts and any attachments are intended for an adult audience (18+) and may contain strong language, sexual content, nudity, violence, and may be graphic in nature. Some material may be considered offensive; reader discretion is advised. Please note that many of BigDawg’s posts are intended for entertainment value only. BigDawg’s posts are not intended to be used where prohibited by law. Furthermore, BigDawg's posts, and any attachments, may contain information covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggon View Post
    Care to post the video?

I've tried everywhere. I saw the video when the story came out back in early 08 or late 07. I saw it on one of the news station sites that was reporting the story. I can't find the videos from that long ago on them now.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    You know other then his weight factor, something that would concern me working the street with him is that horrible head of hair.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    You know other then his weight factor, something that would concern me working the street with him is that horrible head of hair.
    I still think that has to be tied in with shortening the sleeves on his suit.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-06-10, 06:10 AM

Thread Information