Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO

Ya Gotta Be Kiddin

...and now the latest from Obama country

Young Iraq war veteran to lead state police - Illinois | State & regional - Belleville News-Democrat

CHICAGO -- Just two days after the Illinois State Police director resigned abruptly, Gov. Pat Quinn appointed a 29-year-old West Point graduate and former mortgage banker to the post.
    Speaking at a press conference Sunday, Quinn hailed former U.S. Army Capt. Jonathon Monken as a person of courage, distinction and integrity.
    "John is the kind of leader men and women of the Illinois State Police can look up to," he said. "At this time of peril...it's very important for the state to have people like John."

Monken replaces Larry Trent, who was with the state police for 22 years before former Gov. Rod Blagojevich appointed him director in 2003. Trent, who said he wanted to spend more time with family, resigned Friday.
    Monken said he was surprised when Quinn asked him to take the post.
    Born in Mesa, Ariz., and raised in suburban St. Charles, Ill., Monken graduated in the top 1 percent of his class at West Point. He served in Kosovo and, as a platoon leader in Iraq, led more than 100 combat missions.
    He rose to the rank of Army captain and was awarded the Bronze Star Medal.
    He returned to Illinois and, in July 2007, joined Chicago Bancorp as a mortgage banker.
    The next year, he changed careers, taking a job as a recruiter for the Illinois National Guard and taking classes at night for a master's degree in business at Northwestern University, Quinn spokeswoman Marlena Jentz.
    She said Monken has taken a temporary leave of absence from the school to pursue his new position.
    Monken said he hopes to quickly win over older officers with more experience.
    "What matters is how people carry themselves," Monken said. "I'm a good listener, I'm a good learner, I'm a quick study."
    He said he hasn't decided whether he will wear a state police uniform.
    L.H. "Buddy" Parker, president of Illinois Troopers Lodge 41 of the Fraternal Order of Police, said Sunday that he had not met the new director, but looked forward to working with him.
    "He has at his disposal, within this department, years and years of Illinois State Police enforcement experience to draw upon," Parker said. "If the governor has confidence in his abilities, then I'm certain he'll seek out and find the experience that he needs."
    Parker, whose union represents more than 3,000 retired and active state troopers, said he hopes to have a good working relationship with Monken.
    "This is a good time to keep an open mind and see where the new director takes us and the agency," he said.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    ????? What the heck is going on? His only background is being a veteran? Doesn't the State Police in Illinois have anyone with any qualifying experience within the ranks to lead them? I mean I respect that he got a Bronze Star, and that he proudly served the nation, but mortgage banking (YIKES!) and National Guard recruiter as the head of the State Police???????

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, guess that is what is called hiring outside the agency.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    More crooked things in IL. Thank the man in another way, he served our Country. Don't slap the other qualified persons in the face with this new kid. I like the part about he doesn't know if he will wear the uniform or not. Yeah, doesn't know if he will go through the Academy or not is more accurate.
    Un-ass my AO!!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    So... how exactly do you run a State Police force with zero law enforcement experience?

The guy served his country with honor & distinction; that's a given. But nothing listed qualifies him to run any police agency.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    He was a Liasson,officer,Support platoon commander,how the hell you get 100 combat missions out of those jobs,tells me you aint doing something right.

A 1998 graduate of St. Charles High School, Lt. Jonathon Monken graduated West Point Military Academy in 2002. Shortly thereafter, he was deployed to Kosovo, where he served as Military liaison with local community and school officials.

In that capacity, he became extremely concerned about the poor condition of the schools he visited and founded the Kosovo Education Initiative in response. Jon worked to secure financial backing from numerous sources including his father's Rotary Club in St. Charles. Eventually, he collected $20,000 which was then distributed to superintendents of the local Muslim and Christian schools alike.

In February '04, Jonathon was deployed to Iraq where he worked as Support Platoon Commander for a base that serves 600 outside Baqubah. To ensure the physical and mental health of the soldiers, it is essential for them to have access to exercise equipment - equipment which was lacking at that particular base. Again in response to a very real need, Lt. Monken "went to work" and through fund-raisers back home, was able to purchase in excess of $5,000 worth of exercise equipment which was subsequently shipped to his base.

source:http://foxriver.redcross.org/heroes/past2005.html

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    My question is, "who is going to change his diapers?"
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    He won't last. You can bet the higher command has already started sabotaging him. Ours has done that every time they've brought in a chief from the outside who was qualified. I can only imagine what they would do to some poor smuck like him.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    He won't last. You can bet the higher command has already started sabotaging him. Ours has done that every time they've brought in a chief from the outside who was qualified. I can only imagine what they would do to some poor smuck like him.
    I suspect that you are right on with the sabotage issue...but as the father of an academy grad, you might be suprised at how tough and resourceful that makes a kid. Be interesting to watch, don't you think?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    I suspect that you are right on with the sabotage issue...but as the father of an academy grad, you might be suprised at how tough and resourceful that makes a kid. Be interesting to watch, don't you think?

Car 4
    Agree on the tough and resourceful point. They could have picked a worse person for the position. They could have by the same token picked a more experienced and trained person(law enforcement officer ) for the job. Who is going to burp him? Your right Car 4 should be interesting to watch.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

Car 4
    No doubt he's tough and a good man. But he's going to have some tough old birds working for him that will have zero loyalty to him. And they're a lot more familiar with the system and what will take you down than he is.

It's tough when an outsider with LE experience that understands the ins and outs of the job has to deal with that. I truly believe if the people under you want you to fail, you no doubt will.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    I want to scream to the high heavens on this one,BS/BS/BS. etc.etc.My first chief was one of these ,he once told me to go arrest someone for "Aggravating the Public",I asked him what was the RS number for that,and was told "You are the cop,figure it out"It was a drunk,--asleep----on his front porch!!!!in a swing,after getting off work,BUT the neighbor 3 blocks down that contributed to the chiefs campaign ,thought it unsightly.

Had this man said,I will take the position ---after I go through the academy and learn the laws of the land,I would be all for him,till then?????SCREW YOU.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm going to wait and see.

He's a west point graduate and an experienced Captain in the United States Army. If he is a good Captain, he will have learned how to listen to his NCO's as a young butter bar.

Assuming he can identify who his experienced NCO's are, and get rid of the chaff that is often riddled among the command staff of such an agency, he might do ok.

Going through the academy would not be a bad idea, and would lend him some cred with the line.

Other than that, he isn't going to be a cop - he's going to be an administrator.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    He was a Liasson,officer,Support platoon commander,how the hell you get 100 combat missions out of those jobs,tells me you aint doing something right.
    Yeah, that sounds odd to me too. Inflated resumes are fairly common in the military, especially with academy grads, or at least it used to be that way in the Army. Ringknockers tended to take care of one another in that area. I've seen REMF academy grads get a CIB for little or no real combat experience. They got it by being flown over a combat area enough times by arrangement because it was essential for an infantry officer to have one to get promoted. I saw that happen myself a couple of times and my brother, who was a major over there told me it was fairly common. I'm not discounting their training, etc., but they at least used to be, a bit of an exclusive club that made the rest of us shake our heads a few times. It may be different now, but my first thought was that his combat missions may well be something like that.

The Bronze Star is a GCM medal for officers. My brother, who was in S2 got one while he lived in a hotel in Nha Trang. That's nothing against this guy, but don't put a lot of stock in any officer who gets one. He doesn't have to do anything outstanding to get it.

My first impression of his resume was that he's a bit of a social worker. That could be wrong, but I've worked for those types in the past. It's not much fun.

All that being said, he's no doubt a qualified young man. But it personally galls me a little to see someone brought in over people who have served the agency for years. If I were in a command slot there, I'd be highly pissed.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It only makes me wonder what the command staff looked like.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

He's a west point graduate and an experienced Captain in the United States Army. If he is a good Captain, he will have learned how to listen to his NCO's as a young butter bar.

Assuming he can identify who his experienced NCO's are, and get rid of the chaff that is often riddled among the command staff of such an agency, he might do ok.
    If he were coming in at a lower grade command level, I'd agree. But he's starting out as a general with colonels as his advisors.

When I was a young Lt., my NCO's and I communicated because it was in all our interests that I succeed. Not that they cared about my career, but so we could all stay alive. The only people that will really have his ear are people who would benefit from his failure. Someone from the agency will usually surround themselves with old comrades who share a mutual loyalty. This young man will have no one like that available to him.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If he were coming in at a lower grade command level, I'd agree. But he's starting out as a general with colonels as his advisors.
    Don't leave out the part where I said he is going to have to get rid of the chaffe. My NCO comparison wasn't literal rank to rank, and perhaps confused my meaning.

He isn't going to be a General - the ISP is just over 3000 personnel.

He's going to be a Colonel or Light Colonel in charge of essentially a regiment.

He might be light on rank to pull that off, but I'm going to pull for him and see what happens.

Were I in his shoes, I'd enjoy the challenge. I'd sift through my junior commanders for prior service and good ideas, and retire anyone who got in the way above the rank of district commander.

Near as I can tell from their Org chart, it looks like he has five deputy directors, each with about two to five bureaus or commands. Those five are the ones he has to deal with right away.

Shrug, he may fail - this may be a bad idea. It may be the best thing that ever happened to them.

Personally, who hasn't had a dream of an opportunity like this?
    I'm your huckleberry...

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Wow. I'm a believer in getting hired and moving up the chains to earn positions like that, not hiring somebody from the outside to come in and outrank more experienced and qualified Officers...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    It only makes me wonder what the command staff looked like.
    Excellent point. Was he appointed because there was no one qualified or was this a naive' move by the governor? I've seen politicians bring in outside people because they thought new ideas would be welcomed. Unfortunately, that's adverse to most police cultures in depts of any size. Even the troops wonder why one of their own wasn't promoted.

Too bad there isn't someone here from Illinois SP, I'd love to hear their take on it.

Verified LEO
    Excellent point. Was he appointed because there was no one qualified or was this a naive' move by the governor? I've seen politicians bring in outside people because they thought new ideas would be welcomed. Unfortunately, that's adverse to most police cultures in depts of any size. Even the troops wonder why one of their own wasn't promoted.

Too bad there isn't someone here from Illinois SP, I'd love to hear their take on it.
    That was tried in New Orleans a couple of times,and we all know how that turned out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information