Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Pull Up Pants Day at Plantation High

PLANTATION - At 8:30 a.m. today, when the hallways of Plantation High filled with students zipping between classes, Dharyl Auguste, pants sagging, slowed down just long enough to grab a belt from a man who was handing them out.

"I just needed a belt," he explained. "I think sagging is just dumb. It doesn't make you look attractive." Then he headed off to his next class.

Welcome to Pull Up Your Pants Day at Plantation High.

The brainchild of two reading teachers, the day is intended to make the point that showing off one's underwear is not cool, contrary to pop culture.

Plantation High graduate Lester Wilks, 21, is one of the volunteers recruited to hand out the belts donated by a Pompano Beach Wal-Mart. He's now director of operations for The Village.

He said kids don't understand that not dressing properly can hamper them in getting a job. "I think sagging is stupid," Wilks said. "It's something that's equated with jail. It's a bad style."

Generations of young men have followed the sagging pants tradition, despite -- or maybe because of -- the exasperated response it gets from their elders.

Recently, an elder named President Barack Obama got on MTV and asked teens to start straightening up their lives, including their trousers.

But it took two disgusted reading teachers, Diana Carter and Dona McKenzie, to get today's project going, by convincing a Pompano Beach Wal-Mart to donate the belts.

They recruited men from the school's Mentors For Tomorrow's Leaders program and the community to come to the school, station themselves in the hallways between classes, watch for sagging pants and give the kids wearing them the belts.

At midday, the mentors were conducting a forum to discuss professional dress and other teenage issues, Carter said.

She and McKenzie are capitalizing on Obama's election and his words to young men about decency and decorum, said Assistant Principal Brougher Bass.

"We want our students to have the ability to express themselves," Bass said, "but we want them to have dignity, too."

The sagging pants look made popular in the 1990s by rappers and the hip-hop culture spread to black males and other teens who follow the trends they set.

Experts say the style originated in prison, where inmates are not allowed to have belts because they could be used to commit suicide or as weapons in fights. Wearing low-slung pants can signal an inmate is gay.

Some cities asked authorities to become fashion police and cite saggers.

In 2007, Opa-locka became one of the first U.S. cities to ban people from wearing sagging pants in public facilities, including at City Hall and three parks.

Those who violate Opa-locka's ban will be asked to pull up their pants or be removed by city staff or police from public facilities. There is no fine.

Last year, Riviera Beach passed an ordinance declaring it "unlawful for any person to appear in public or in view of the public wearing pants below the waist which expose the skin or undergarments."

Since the law's controversial enactment, fewer than 20 people have been cited, according to Rose Anne Brown, spokeswoman for the city.

The offense carries a $159 fine, jail time or public-service penalties for the first citation. The punishment increases to a $300 fine or 60 days in jail for a second violation. Brown said she was not aware of anyone being cited more than once.

Art Johnson, superintendent of Palm Beach County Public Schools, said the district deals with the fashion fad by using a dress code.

"No schools in Palm Beach would need to have a pull-up-your-pants day because we have a dress code. No hats in class. No flip-flops. No short shorts. And no showing of undergarments."

At Plantation High this morning, student Phillip Demercado said he welcomed Pull Up Your Pants Day.

"It's the right thing to do. Pulling up your pants makes you look more presentable, but sagging is just a style. The kids watch the rappers on TV and want to look like them. But it's something that could stop easily."

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wearing low-slung pants can signal an inmate is gay.
    This is what I always tell the idiots around here. They still think its cool though. Personally I think it makes them look like the shit themselves and are carrying 15 lbs of crap in the underwear.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maybe if they had a dress like a thug day the rest of the year they would be presentable. But I doubt it. Morons.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Great idea, DO something about the problem.
    Un-ass my AO!!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I much prefer to see a guy in a pair of snug jeans *leer* and as soon as more women make their preferences along those lines known, the trend should dry up. Personally, I think guys with sagging pants are just hiding the lack of a package and/or butt.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    The fact that they have to have a "Pull up your pants" day is completely ridiculous. Most of the guys that wear their pants like that (at least around here) have belts anyway. They cinch 'em up so the pants don't go any lower than they already are and so that it's harder for people to just come up and pull them down. Honestly, I'd just like to see parents start smacking their kids for idolizing prison life...
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    How about telling the kids they can't wear their pants such that their underwear shows??????? Get caught with your pants down....go to detention.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Makes it easier to chase them though......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Makes it easier to chase them though......
    Most of the time it ties up one hand holding up their Dickies.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    + infinity

10 rules for dating my daughter.

Rule Three:
    I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open- minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, In order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information